100,000+ Mileage Foci, Post here.. - Page 73 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #721
darkstar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23957
What I Drive: 2002 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 darkstar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by William J Toensing View Post
2001 Focus ZX3 5 speed manual, Zetech engine, bought new in Sept 2001. It now has 144,000 miles. Overall, this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned I have found a few poorly designed parts. 1) ignition switch: when it goes bad, call a mobile lock smith to fix it for a cost of around $150 or have it towed to your friendly Ford dealer who will charge you from $500 to $800 for the same job which they likely sub out to the same local locksmith who comes to fix your lock. The local Ford dealer's parts department said Ford has made an upgrade to this switch so I bought it in preperation for the next time it goes out. So far it hasn't.
2) The front link rods from the sway bar to the suspension. This is an easy DIY job. Just take the front wheel off to replace. The OEM Ford is a piece of junk. It is now making noises so this time I ordered some aftermarket ones from RockAuto. The brand is Raysbestes & although probably made in China, they appear to be more substantially built than the OEM Ford part. I don't throw old parts away so I was able to compare it.
3) The cheap plastic thermostat box which holds the thermostat & bolts to the head. If you see antifreeze seeping from that area the likely cause is the ridge that holds the rubber gasket in place. That gasket looks like a rubber band & it forms the seal between the thermostat & the head, until the ridge starts desintegrating.
4)Brake pads. The OEM Ford pads wore out at 60,000 miles & left brake dust over the front wheels. Replaced with Raysbestis pads & 80,000 miles hardly any wear noted on the pads & no more dust. However, I did have to replace the rotors as they had worn beyong acceptable limits.
It has been my experience with every car I have ever owned that certain parts start wearing out due to age and/or use. That is why a form such as this is so useful. With 144,000 miles on the car, I wonder what is coming next? Sofar, I have had no trouble with the starter, altrunator, airconditioner, or clutch, items that usually start failing at 100,000 miles.
Awesome that our problems is pretty much similar, ignition lock started to get stuck at around 80k, thermostat plastic housing was replaced at around 40k, and right side tie rod at around 70k then both at 120k. OEM ford pads, rotors, and rear drum shoes lasted to 100k, still had the life left. Since I needed to replace the transmission, I went ahead to replace clutch disc only, surprisingly it had lot of life left but I went with ACT street disc only for $75 bucks.
AC still blows cold, alternator and starter haven't showed any problems yet.
My best guess is 2001 and 2002 have same share of problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #722
Warlockk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53340
What I Drive: 2003 Blue Focus SE 2.3L PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 Warlockk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 SE 4 door coupe with the 2.3L pzev engine. 104 k miles. No real major issues. Ive had to replace the alternator the right cv joint and just last week the starter but its been reliable and fun. Plans are for a SVT suspension and rear disk conversion this year. I hate the rear drum brakes.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #723
Dave U
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10477
What I Drive: '00 Ztec Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Dave U Good Standing Member
I have a 2000 wagon with a Ztech and it has 310,000 kms. 192,000 miles on it. Still original motor and trans, the only front end parts replaced were the swaybar links.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #724
Polak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92908
What I Drive: 03 Pitch black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Polak Good Standing Member
2003 SVTF 105k miles
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #725
coldbear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78292
What I Drive: 2001 Burgandy ZXT

FF Reputation: 1 coldbear Good Standing Member
Smoooth.......

Love these Focus's. Thought heavy for a Fusion, then remembered the fantastic milage the DOC engine give me. 157,000 and running smooth as silk. Don't forget the SeaFoam every 6 months.?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #726
LDFOG
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56449
What I Drive: 2009 SE Sedan, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 LDFOG Good Standing Member
2009 SE, pure stock. Hit 100K this afternoon. Still gives 33-37 mpg on the highway, depending on traffic and speed. My last Focus, a 2002 wagon, had 289K when it died in an accident.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #727
OldNotSlow
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93497
What I Drive: 2005 Dark Gray Focus SES ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 OldNotSlow Good Standing Member
2005 SES Wagon, bought new, now with 130,000 miles. Still runs pretty much like new, with only minor issues. It's been a great car.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #728
OldNotSlow
Focus Rookie

I had a "stuck" ignition lock as well: the problem turned out to be the shifter interlock being out of adjustment, not the ignition cylinder.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #729
darkstar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23957
What I Drive: 2002 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 darkstar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNotSlow View Post
I had a "stuck" ignition lock as well: the problem turned out to be the shifter interlock being out of adjustment, not the ignition cylinder.
Interesting to know! I kinda had the feeling that my cylinder is fine, what is best way to fix the adjustment?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #730
OldNotSlow
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Interesting to know! I kinda had the feeling that my cylinder is fine, what is best way to fix the adjustment?
In my case (automatic transmission) there was some resistance getting into Park. There was a cable or some wiring in the way of the shift linkage. I had the dealer fix this, so I don't know the exact details of the repair.

Bookmarks & Social Networks