How to determine if a TSB has been performed on a used Focus? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
rlhiester
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150490
What I Drive: A Totaled 2012 Blue Focus Titanium

Points 14, Level 1
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 rlhiester Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to determine if a TSB has been performed on a used Focus?

I had a 2012 Focus Titanium w/automatic transmission that was totaled by a driver who ran a red light. No injuries thankfully, and I was extremely impressed at how well the car absorbed the impact and kept us safe. I was so impressed that I am going to purchase another Focus Titanium.

My Focus had the transmission problem, and this community was very helpful educating me on the issue. I had TSB 14-0047 performed on the car back in April, and afterwards it drove like a new car.

My question is this: If I am considering purchasing another 2012 Focus, are there any resources available through which I can determine if the vehicle had TSB 14-0047 performed on it before I purchase it?

Many thanks for all the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,928, Level 66
Points: 9,928, Level: 66 Points: 9,928, Level: 66 Points: 9,928, Level: 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Don't have a good answer offhand on that. The TSB mentioned has different outcomes depending on the testing results, varies from a computer update to that plus seals & clutches.

Good part is that those repairs are now covered until 7 yr., 100,000 ttl. - beyond the base powertrain that quits at 5/60.

S.R. #275
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,131, Level 97
Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you're familiar with the dealer's service agent, they should be able to show you the car's repair history.

A TSB is not the same thing as a recall, but you can always ask to have it done if the new vehicle has the same problem. As long as the insurance company pays you out what they should- beware of adjusters- I'd consider upgrading to a newer model. The transmission has been improved.

On to the "beware of adjusters" comment, if you have a friend who is a lawyer, you might ask if it's ok if you throw his/her name around if you don't like what you're hearing from the other insurance company. You'd be surprised at what just tossing a name will do, and never play nice with insurance adjusters. For example, a down to earth person would simply want the car paid off if there were no injuries. If you make that comment- you will never get your car paid off in full. They will talk you down from that point. That's their job- to haggle with you. Don't post on Facebook that everyone is ok. Instead, post that the day after you've been having lots of pains, and everyone is hurting. Yes.... they will use Facebook against you, so use it against them. Do not ever post that you weren't hurting or that you planned such a comment because that is fraud. The law is on their side, not ours. They will do all that they can to get you to forget any sort of contract, and if you agree to less than the contract says you are entitled to, then they have done their job.

IMO, you should get your car paid off in full plus a equitable down payment on a new vehicle, basically the accident should cost you nothing now or in the future. If you don't get the car paid off, or if you don't get enough to make a down payment that will make your note the same as it was before- then you've lost IMO. That is not fair because the accident was not your fault- so why should you pay anything at all?

Good luck, and I'm glad everyone is ok. Fords crash well, and that's one of the reasons I chose Ford over GM and even other makes. I have enough friends who work in EMS to know that just because Ford doesn't always brag about their crashworthiness doesn't mean that the cars don't hold up well in an accident.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
rlhiester
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150490
What I Drive: A Totaled 2012 Blue Focus Titanium

Points 14, Level 1
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 rlhiester Good Standing Member
Thanks to both sailor and whynotthinkwhynot for your unexpectedly quick responses!

Ford's warranty extension is a good point, but my experience was a safety issue and I was hoping not to go through that again if at all possible.

I was thinking in the case of a private sale or purchasing from a non-Ford dealer, I would like to confirm if this TSB was performed. Does anyone know if any Ford service department I walk into could provide details on any warranty work performed on a Ford even if not performed at that dealership?

Some really good points regarding insurance from whynotthinkwhynot. My insurance company (Liberty Mutual) actually treated me pretty well. I presume this is because we were not at fault, the other driver admitted guilt and was cited on the scene, and their insurance company accepted full liability. In the end, my vehicle's valuation was high enough to pay off the car, cover my original cash down payment, and still leave a couple hundred dollars in my pocket. Doesn't make up for the hastle, but at least I didn't lose any money.

And again, I just wanted to say just how impressed I was with how well my 2012 Focus hatchback performed in this crash. Thanks to Ford for making a great, affordable, and very safe vehicle. I really liked my Focus, and I'm gonna miss it. I hope my next Focus is as good as my first Focus!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.