Lets see your 1/4 mile times - Page 15 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #141
d20foci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63613
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 d20foci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
16.13@84.7 but my dogbone is shot
2.5 trubendz,pulleys,sri
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #142
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I wonder if there is any difference between the Race Exhaust vs Stealth Exhaust. I went to the drags with the Stealth and was doing 16.4s, but I just put on the Race straightpipe but havent taken it to the drags yet. I did seem to feel a slight difference upon flooring it from a stop. It seemed jump and pull harder than before, by a little bit. So, maybe this will make a bit of a diference with my times?

Besides gutting my trunk, I still haven't figured out what else I can do to cut weight (short of swapping out parts for lighter ones). I know the hood is fairly heavy and I thought about taking it off, but I don't have anything to replace it. I know the strip wont let me race without a hood. Maybe I could tap a small tarp over it or something? It would look like absolute shit, but I would be trimming like 15+lbs.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #143
LD5050
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94329
What I Drive: 04 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 LD5050 Good Standing Member
100 lbs weight reduction is usually good for a tenth in the quarter. You're not going to notice a difference after shedding 15 pounds.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #144
SMITHBOY76908
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Points 14,482, Level 78
Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD5050 View Post
100 lbs weight reduction is usually good for a tenth in the quarter. You're not going to notice a difference after shedding 15 pounds.
It equals a tenth in a 1/4 mile based on racing stock-car weight (3450lbs). When you're talking about 2600-2700lbs like our cars, it makes a bigger difference cause that 100lbs is a bigger percentage of weight dropped. You may not notice much from 15lbs but add that 15lbs to the weight of removing the rear seats, removing the spare and jack, removing the passenger seat, etc... you start to really drop some weight off. My Focus rolled across the scales at MIR at 2550lbs with me in it and I'm yet to go extreme on the weight reduction. I still have the headliner, radio, and speakers in the car. I also still have the stock, heavy control arms.

The biggest difference anyone will notice in weight reduction is in the wheels. Unsprung-Reciprocating weight reduction is the best weight reduction you can do. The stock 16" Focus wheels weigh somewhere around 16-17lbs each. Drop down to a 15" drag wheel which are 11-12lbs each, and that's a pretty big difference. The same goes for tires and this is another reason slicks are SO much better than drag radials is weight. Drag radials are typically heavy compound to allow them to stand up to some street driving. Slicks aren't that way. They tubed and lightweight. As you accelerate down the track, this weight spins faster and faster the forces begin to make it sling outwards causing that weight to multiply through centrifugal force. This is why going with lightweight wheels can help out a ton. SVT 5-spoke wheels are the worst in this case as they are over 20lbs each. IIRC, Dunlop Star Specs are the worst in this aspect tire wise since a 215/45/17 is upwards of 25lbs each. Compare that to 15" drag wheels that are 11lbs each and slicks that are 13lbs each. BIG difference, nearly cuts the weight in half.

Some say cutting tire/wheel weight is equal to cutting 3-5 times as much dead weight off the car in regards to aid in acceleration and that wouldn't surprise me. Physics supports this also.

As for the stealth center section vs the straight race section, there is no difference in performance. Slightly less weight and sound are the only differences. The stealth section is straight through like the rest of the system so there's no baffles or bends to cause any back pressure therefore it doesn't effect performance. FSWerks tested it on their 436whp SEMA car and it made the same power on stealth and race, only difference was sound.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #145
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Sounds great, SMITHBOY76908! Going by what you said, do you think these wheels would be a good choice? I hope the site is legit!

http://www.nfcperformance.com/15x6-5...ipstream-Wheel

This is just a random picture (not my car) but this car has the exact same wheels as mine. Any idea how much these ones weigh and what their size is? Would I really get all that much out of buying the wheels (in the above link) versus just keeping these?

I wonder how much time I could shave off my 1/4 simply by switching to these? Say I had my same mods, the only difference being these wheels, I was doing 16.4s before, so... wonder what I'd get after?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #146
SMITHBOY76908
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Points 14,482, Level 78
Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Those wheels weigh a hair over 15lbs each. They're not the best but definitely better than the 16" wheels which are 17-18lbs each and the 17" SVT wheels that are 21-23lbs each. The only problem with those is they have a 52mm offset and only 6.5" wide which means unless you run spacers, you're pretty limited on tire width. I actually ran those wheels for a while with 24.5" x 8" slicks and had to use spacers to keep the tires from rubbing the struts. They got the job done but I couldn't stand having limited thread for the lugnuts due to the spacers and the slicks bubbled a bit too much being on such a narrow wheel.

I now have those slicks on some Summit 5-star 15 x 8 wheels that fit beautifully.

As for the Rota Slipstreams, I am not a fan. There's much better selections out there. The Rota wheels can't handle high stress. As for 1/4 mile time increase, the combination of less weight and not spinning would probably put you in 16.1 - 16.0 range. The price to do that probably wouldn't be worth it at your power level.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #147
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

So it sounds like all-in-all, I'd only lose a couple of lbs per wheel. Not worth it IMO. I'd rather spend the money on cams & engine mounts.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #148
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,656, Level 78
Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN View Post
I wonder if there is any difference between the Race Exhaust vs Stealth Exhaust. I went to the drags with the Stealth and was doing 16.4s, but I just put on the Race straightpipe but havent taken it to the drags yet. I did seem to feel a slight difference upon flooring it from a stop. It seemed jump and pull harder than before, by a little bit. So, maybe this will make a bit of a diference with my times?

Besides gutting my trunk, I still haven't figured out what else I can do to cut weight (short of swapping out parts for lighter ones). I know the hood is fairly heavy and I thought about taking it off, but I don't have anything to replace it. I know the strip wont let me race without a hood. Maybe I could tap a small tarp over it or something? It would look like absolute shit, but I would be trimming like 15+lbs.
Do not remove the hood or relocate the battery... Think about it, why would you want to take weight off the drive wheels?
On a rear wheel drive theres a purpose which is faster weight transfer to the rear tires. Do you really want your front end to rise faster, taking the weight off your tires? Fast way to lose traction quicker.
Now taking weight out of the rear of a fwd slows the weight transfer.
Fwd is a whole different weight transfer thought process.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #149
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

But would you agree that it's still a good idea to gut the trunk? Thus far, I always do it before a race. With the spare, stock jack, my own personal jack, my automobile tool kit, etc., I'd guess that by gutting the trunk, I'm able to shave roughly 50-70lbs (from the rear). I mean, it certainly feels a tiny bit lighter, which I think is good, isn't it?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #150
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,656, Level 78
Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
i would agree with that. another to shave more off the rear is remove the back seat, and try to run with 1/4 tank or less fuel.
if you can afford them, adjustable shocks work wonders. come race time set them to full stiff. or race springs.
bags in the springs work for awhile, but dont trust them too many passes. they get alot of pressure placed on them from the weight transfer that does occur.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.