WOO HOOO!!!! Steering wheel!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Gaming Fanatics

Gaming Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest video games, cheats, strategies and consoles.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
WOO HOOO!!!! Steering wheel!!!

Well to help my wife learn how to drive I chunked up the change for a Logitech Driving Force Pro steering wheel to go along with GT4 on the PS2. I know it's an old console, but hey- I'm not about to chunk up the change for a PS3 at the moment when we need things like a mattress and new refrigerator long before that.

WHOA what a feeling!!! I can hardly drive any more! That thing will freaking wear your arm out- especially if you turn off the power steering and turn up the feedback to strong. I took my favorite car (Lotus Elan S1) for a spin and I was going nuts all around the track. My favorite experience was when the wife thought the car was steering itself when she had overcorrected several times on the test track in the Ford Ka (fortunately it was a 200hp Ka so I didn't have to wait forever for a turn).

Definitely don't get this unless you're serious about driving games, and make sure you have some sort of table heavy enough to hold down the wheel. We're only using a TV tray with a couple of phone books on it- and that's barely sufficient. The biggest bummer is that you have to figure out how to drive with one foot while using the other foot to hold the pedals. Even with my small 9's it's difficult to do.

Does anyone know if they still offer an HDTV cable for the PS2? I desperately need to switch to a higher resolution. The game has it as a option, so I figure the part must be out there somewhere.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Nevermind about the cable, I found them all over the place online. Hopefully I'll have as much luck finding one at Circuit City or Best Buy after work. Unfortunately, my first stop on the way home will be to purchase an element for my dryer. Yay, the joys of owning your own place.....

Quote:
Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
Muhaha2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49769
What I Drive: 2002 Dblue zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Muhaha2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hows the wheel feel? is it comfy? does it turn enough? like at least two complete turns? I used to play DDR, and i used to DUCT Tape the hell out of the pad down to the ground. Doesn't harm it, just thought u might like to use for pedals lol =P.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I am not really into buying steering wheels, but if I was, I would get the G25.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhaha2 View Post
Hows the wheel feel? is it comfy? does it turn enough? like at least two complete turns? I used to play DDR, and i used to DUCT Tape the hell out of the pad down to the ground. Doesn't harm it, just thought u might like to use for pedals lol =P.
Comfy depends on if you can find something sturdy enough to hold the wheel in a good position for you. Using the TV tray is good for me, but my wife needs something a little lower possibly. The wheel turns 900 degrees on this game, and 200 degrees on other games. 900 degrees is 2.5 turns lock to lock, like a normal vehicle. The wheel itself is thick enough to be comfortable, but not large enough to be 100% realistic. It's like driving a car with one of those little dish steering wheels- a little over 12", but not the proper 15" that most cars have. The feedback is great, and realistic enough to help my wife improve her driving skills. It also keeps me on my toes- I'm not as good of a driver with a wheel as I am with the controller!! I do think eventually, I'll be better with the wheel because the feedback makes you correct things that you wouldn't notice with a controller.

It will be interesting to see if I can adapt my driving skills to be able to skillfully drive something like one of the old Corvettes or that old lightweight Ginetta G4 race car that loses it's back end around every turn.

The pedals are responsive, but I really can't feel any feedback from either. I'd expect some from the brakes, but the brake is either on or off right now- just like with a controller. Maybe once I get better at driving I can focus more mental energy on the pedal feel. I don't think there is a motor in there to provide feedback like on the wheel- so I doubt I'll see any.

The shifter is a nice touch, but you have to remember to let go of it if you want to change gears again. My wife tends to hold on to it- and sticks in a gear. It will give her some practice for finding things like turn signals while driving in the real world without drifting off the road, so I like it for that if nothing else.

It's a USB connection which makes me curious if it might work with the Wii too. Sadly, I don't see any driving games for the Wii that peak my interest. Besides, I enjoy F-Zero based futuristic driving games more than games like GT4.

It's a dreamy experience here though- a 55" DLP about 10' from the seat, I bought the AV component cable yesterday for the PS2, but haven't had a chance to try it out because the wife and I had a spat yesterday- then we watched 3 episodes of Firefly together- which if anyone likes sci-fi shows and hasn't heard of this- GET IT NOW, $35, and well worth it to own the series IMO. It's a total shame Fox cancelled this show for something as utterly stupid as what they have now.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

I was just thinking- the pedals should be harder to push. Maybe after I figure out how to hold it still (without duct tape- I like my carpet) then I'll take it apart and install heavier duty springs if possible. From what I can see outside, it appears that there is some kind of radial spring on a shaft in there- it should be easy to replace with a heavier duty spring if the plastic can handle the abuse. Maybe I can epoxy or superglue some metal rub plates in there to ease the abuse of a heavier spring. Only the future will tell. I've heard these pedals fail after time- but that might just be a spring failure. I don't see how a potentiometer will go bad aside of dust buildup damage.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Spinal
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45687
What I Drive: 2007, Vermillion Red, ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 29 Spinal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
pics of wheel in action!
Last Of The Hatches #44
Old 03-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
the logitec g 25 has petal feed back
ZC#200
Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
pics of wheel in action!
Okee dokee-- wife loves to take pics, so not a problem

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->