AWD Zetec/SVT Focus INFO thread - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #81
neo_mouse
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10086
What I Drive: 2003 ford focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 neo_mouse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the name of the tread is AWD Zetec/SVT
i thought that was what we where trying to make work
i mean if it was as simple as just using the system of the ms6 dont you think someone would have done it by now?
i just think its time to find some jags and cut them up and see what can make work
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #82
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

Points 9,927, Level 66
Points: 9,927, Level: 66 Points: 9,927, Level: 66 Points: 9,927, Level: 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvtt_Whiper View Post
Its called buying a duratec.

The electronics cant be that complicated. I am sure it reads engine speed.. when it comes to the engine. Other than that I think it relies on yaw sensors and sensors in the trans for wheelspin.

I think it may not be the easiest route...since you would need to do an engine swap. But I think it will still be the best performing set up of the bunch... in turns anyway.

your missing my point......have you ever driven an MS6?

they really drive like a FWD car....the computer for it processes way too slow. and its not a separate computer, its built in. so the engine swap you speak of would have to be a complete MS6 swap including wiring harness and ecu. Its not worth it at that point, and there is WAY too much to adapt.....

for a duratec guy it might be easier, but its still a crappy working system.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #83
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
well, Orange.....if your interested a friend hooked me up with the transfer case removal instruction from the ALLDATA FSM.....i have it in a word document. PM me your email if you want it. its got alot more of those schematic sketches and directions on how not to damage the transfer case and such
Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #84
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52341
What I Drive: 2005, Blazing copper, focus.

FF Reputation: 1 Bvtt_Whiper Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
your missing my point......have you ever driven an MS6?

they really drive like a FWD car....the computer for it processes way too slow. and its not a separate computer, its built in. so the engine swap you speak of would have to be a complete MS6 swap including wiring harness and ecu. Its not worth it at that point, and there is WAY too much to adapt.....

for a duratec guy it might be easier, but its still a crappy working system.
Are you joking? It handles that way because of the weight distribution and has to be driven aggressively or it does some nose diving. Car/driver..automobile magazine has nothing but good things to say about the drivetrain and awd. It has full time AWD Just most (not all like some people think) of it is up front untill demand. But that demand can be overriden since the computer has 3 modes..normal, sport and snow.. while snow is a more active AWD situation. Its responce has nothing to do with its awd.. its the entire set up of the car.

PS I hpoe you do this correctly and wire up the AWD system

"All-wheel drive is standard on both V6 models. During normal driving conditions, the transmission maintains a 40/60 front/rear bias, to give the car the handling characteristics of a rear-wheel drive vehicle. When sensors detect slippery conditions, a center differential automatically reapportions the torque to the wheels with the best grip."

I hope you figure out how to install and wire those sensors.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #85
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
they arent necessary. If you dont use them it auto defaults to full time 40/60 split. thats plenty useful. The sensors only change the system if it NEEDS to be changed. i dont think it will be an issue to drive it always 40/60. If it becomes an issue, then jag parts are unnecessary and another transfer case can be used. Possibly something simpler from an AWD talon or eclipse.

And im dorry if it offended you by saying i just plain do not like the setup of the MS6.
It just doesnt appeal to me, there would be WAY more work involved with that than there would be with jag parts, even more so for a zetec equiped car. The engines and transmissions are completely different, and the whole point of this thread is to do it with a zetec.

Ive driven an MS6, an EVO, and an Sti all in succession as i know people with each car. all in stock form. i did indeed play with the settings on the MS6, but overall the Sti was the most "useful" system in my opinion. The MS6 system is not geared for the same performance that the Sti and EVO are, more of a comfortable approach to the same thing. Dont get me wrong, its a great system, just not suited for these purposes.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #86
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Here I have a 400hp SVT and SOMEONE says ...buy a duratec
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #87
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT View Post
this is what im saying
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #88
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT View Post
You can do t hat with a D23 as well. I am just saying it for drivetrain reasons..

Hmm I just got this from a jag board.. maybe that quote I posted earlier is an error. The jag trans is sounding alot better now that I know the center diff is limited slip... wow..nice.

"there is no awd sensor.....

the car has normal open differentials front and rear and a limited slip (via viscous coupling) in the center diff. (transfer case)

the car has abs, and some have dsc, both systems share the same wheel speed pulse generators.

That enough? or do you need more.

If you are using a Jag engine and engine management computer.. you will need to deal with the abs and dsc. if you are bolting onto a Duratec... might be easier."
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #89
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvtt_Whiper View Post
You can do t hat with a D23 as well.
JHC...do you know how much money he has in his SVT (not to mention hours of his own labor keeping it running) to make it to 400 WHP? And you're suggesting that he buy a completely different engine and essentially start over from scratch just because you think the MS6's drivetrain is the pinnicle of automotive engineering? I would think that "AWD Zetec/SVT" in the thread title would suggest he's trying to do this on a Zetec or SVT Zetec, NOT a D23 If he's going to transfer the engine and drivetrain, why not just get a totaled STi or Evo and swap its engine and drivetrain?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #90
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

the guy i am talking to says open diff at front and a limited slip at the rear wheels for best handling.
This is on the jag trans as well

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.