AWD Zetec/SVT Focus INFO thread - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #91
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52341
What I Drive: 2005, Blazing copper, focus.

FF Reputation: 1 Bvtt_Whiper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
guy says the front and rear diff needs to be the same ratio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #92
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
^ exactly. thanks for jumping on a jag board by the way, thats some really helpful information.

I beleive you have seen the light lol.

good to know the front transfer case is a viscous coupling
Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #93
xp0s3d
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 31421
What I Drive: 2012 Mustang GT Premium

FF Reputation: 11 xp0s3d Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
why not get HTP to make a getrag transfer case
Old 02-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #94
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
^ exactly. thanks for jumping on a jag board by the way, thats some really helpful information.

I beleive you have seen the light lol.

good to know the front transfer case is a viscous coupling
I just like the idea of using the best option.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #95
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

now what we need to do is find out the final drive ratio on the jag trans and compare it to the focus trans. This way we will know if we can just use the transfer case.......even if they are different maybe we can get lucky and it will be the 4.06.....if not im sure we could find a place to make a custom final drive gearset.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #96
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Why worry about the Focus's final drive when you can get almost any gear for the rear axle assembly??
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #97
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

^ because the front and rear have to have the correct ratios with the transfer case or it will not work properly
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #98
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvtt_Whiper View Post
guy says the front and rear diff needs to be the same ratio
I understand this to mean that the transmission has to have the same ratio as the jag does, and the rear diff has to be the same ratio as the jag......for the transfer case to distibute the proper split.

but possibly it may be as simple as making sure that the percentage driveing the front wheels plus the percentage driving the rear wheels is always equal to 100%

so maybe we just need to understand the gearing inside the transfer case to figure out what gearset is needed for the rear end keeping the stock focus final drive.

maybe even be able to figure out a 50/50 split

BVTT_WHIPER.....think you can get this info over on the jag boards?

we need to break out some math on this ISH
Old 02-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #99
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
I understand this to mean that the transmission has to have the same ratio as the jag does, and the rear diff has to be the same ratio as the jag......for the transfer case to distibute the proper split.

but possibly it may be as simple as making sure that the percentage driveing the front wheels plus the percentage driving the rear wheels is always equal to 100%

so maybe we just need to understand the gearing inside the transfer case to figure out what gearset is needed for the rear end keeping the stock focus final drive.

maybe even be able to figure out a 50/50 split

BVTT_WHIPER.....think you can get this info over on the jag boards?

we need to break out some math on this ISH
Nah man.. dont go 50/50 ratio it will handle like a boat. 60/40 or even 65/35 is perfect.

50/50 may be better for drag racing.. you could always get a spare rear diff for 1/4 mile days.

I posted again on the jag boards.. lets see what they say.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #100
uk-v8-focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18104
What I Drive: Various

FF Reputation: 6 uk-v8-focus Good Standing Member
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=68637

Jaguar and Visteon develop four-wheel-drive technology for the new Jaguar X-Type

Coventry, England - Visteon Corporation (NYSE: VC) is providing state-of-the-art all-wheel-drive technology for Jaguar's new compact sporting sedan, the X-Type.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20001201/DEF008LOGO)

The system, branded "Traction-4" by Jaguar, utilises a unique Visteon design that drives the rear differential "backwards." In most four-wheel- drive systems, an idler gear in the transfer box changes the rotating direction of the drive so the propshaft spins counterclockwise, allowing use of a conventional rear differential.

Visteon's approach inverses the crown wheel and pinion -- moving the configuration from the left-hand side to the right of the vehicle. Because the gear is on the other side of the pinion, the wheels rotate forward. The design of the new X-Type is simpler and pays big dividends. The design significantly helps reduce Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) backlash between the gear sets and weight of the vehicle, and it helps improve ground clearance and packaging.

"Jaguar set very rigid design parameters for quality, NVH, weight, cost and efficiency in its first all-wheel-drive car," said Huw Davies, Visteon Programs Director, Jaguar Customer Business Unit. "Visteon's engineering teams had to apply new and innovative engineering techniques to ensure the quality and reliability to meet those targets."

Visteon used its own leading edge Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA) and NVH analysis programs to meet Jaguar's requirements. Visteon was able to develop the transfer box and rear- differential using dedicated teams in both the USA and Germany, as well as co- located engineers with Jaguar's development teams in Coventry, England.

Visteon Corporation is a leading full-service supplier that delivers consumer-driven technology solutions to automotive manufacturers world-wide and through multiple channels within the global automotive aftermarket. http://www.visteon.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks