SVT screamen demon and live wires - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
Shady R
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT screamen demon and live wires

this is a subject that has been around for a while now and I know the search function well. Yes I know there couldn't be any more possible questions about it.
But heres another. Has any SVTF owner had any improvements from it? I know for the rest of the focus it seems to work well but no SVTF owners seem to say any thing about it.

Does it really help, Fuel will ignite the same no matter what the arc size is at the plug, no matter the gap, fuel ignites at it's own ignition point and will burn the same no matter what. I don't see how it could help. It wont burn cleaner it wont burn faster it wont make more RPM and it wont make more torque. All of that has to do with Air and Fuel and the A/F mixture. If SVTF needed it Wouldn't they done it. concider that we already use a 91 oct fuel any ways besides for the compression it don't seem logicall that it could do any thing for us. Why wouldn't we just put in 93 oct in the car to burn cleaner. I replaced my plug wires them selfs for the lower ohm load cous that is better for travel of current but a larger gap and more voltage don't make since to me the ignition of gas is the same, and if it is how fast the voltage gets to the plug do we really need a coil pack or just the wire? Some one explain, and are there any SVTF owners out there that would swear by it? maybe I just missed the point of it by a long shot here couse lots of people have it for some reason. What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
NewtzZx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 6 NewtzZx3 Good Standing Member
ok, well first of all, if you are talking about electrical theory, someof the things you said make little sense. the difference in resistance of the wires doesn't really affect the speed or the time it takes to spark the plug. in fact, no matter what resistance, the current is delivered almost instantaneously. and also, in terms of combustion, the difference between the size of the spark can be substantial. you see the combustion as a very fast process, but in fact the explosion occurs as a wave within the cylinder. the gap of the plug has an effect on the starting point of the combustion, a bigger spark or in other words a wider spark, makes a larger starting point for the combustion. replacing plug wires also has an effect.
where the lower resistance is good is in allowing more current to be delivered for the same voltage applied across the wire. more current means more energy in the spark, means the spark is "hotter" and also that the gap can be wider because the spark has more energy to cross the gap(i know this isn't the best explaination)

so the reason the plug gap matters is that it changes the characteristic of the combustion. you can't just widen the gap because as the gap widens, the spark has less energy and may not ignite the mixture properly.

in combustion, much of the mixture may not be reacted because of the shape of the cylinder and the time given for the process to complete. theoretically, a hotter or wider spark should allow slightly more of the mixuture to react before the valve is opened.

as for your specific question, no idea, svt may have upgraded the coil when they designed it, ive never heard of anyone with an svt putting one on.
i will say that i didn't really gain much when i put mine on, but the engine runs a tad smoother and i suppose a hotter spark lessens the chance of misfire.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
Shady R
Focus Addict

Well thank you NewtzZx3. It is the first actuall quality info to the subject. As I was trying to say earlier this is what I was simply going by and since there is no good info to this untill now it is what I based my thoughts on. I'm not as narrow minded as some would believe but when the facts are presented it's a lot easier to accept theories faster. So basicly what you said in a nut shell is that the A/F mixture will burn more completely becouse the hotter or larger arc in a perfect world is burning the candle at both ends instead of one. trying to some it up I guess. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 PM   #4
lwnslw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3640
What I Drive: F150

FF Reputation: 1 lwnslw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Hey Shady R,
I just purchased my Screaming Demon coil pack and live wires yesterday. I installed them this evening and I will give you some feed back by weeks end on any improvements. I drive my SVT 100 miles a day in stop and go traffic so I should be able to see or feel the difference within a couple of days. I am hopeing that it does something. I have been reading these threads and quite a few owners are giving good reviews. Keeping my fingers crossed....
See Ya
Old 05-22-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
Shady R
Focus Addict

Ive read almost all the post here to but it seems that the SVTF owners just say it smoothed there idle and thats it. Please do post back and let me know.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
~04~SVT~
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3653
What I Drive: 2004 Screaming Yellow EURO SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 ~04~SVT~ Good Standing Member
I got a +50 or so increase in my MPG also, but I still only have 1700m on my car so not sure if thats all from the ignition or just engine breakin
#387/1079 Born on December 10th
Screamin Demon / Livewires / 2002 Euro Grille
Metallic Tinted windows / EuroStar LED tails
Steeda tri-ax/f STS / Saleen Shift Knob

Bookmarks & Social Networks