Not all Ford Dealers Know their stuff -READ - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Jeff Wohlt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48943
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Jeff Wohlt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not all Ford Dealers Know their stuff -READ

So I was talking to our friend Mike at Hillbish yesterday on some molding and after a little chatting someting came up about the manual tranny 5 speed...MTX. He mentioned how high cost the fluid was for this tranny. I bought my 05 in May and decided to change all the fluids. I told my Ford parts man what I had and all that and he gave me two bottles of fluid. After Mike mentioned the price I said...heck I did not pay that and he said you better check what he sold you. After calling my Ford parts man...who happens to be a good friend and gives me items for his cost we discovered he sold me the wrong fluid.

I was given XT5QM which is Mercon 5 auto tranny fluid and it calls XTM5QS. So for 7 months I have been running auto tranny fluid. Seems shifting was getting stiffer and harder.

I called my buddy and gave him some crap about it. He gave me two new bottles...without charge and said drain it and change it. So I did last night...what a difference...not only in shifting but noise and also the right stuff is like super synthetic and very slick...nothing like auto tranny fluid.

So, I told him he may be rebuilding a tranny if I have problems with this. Probably shot my self in the foot for future deals but what an idiot.

So the moral...look your own part number up in the manual and go ASK for that stuff. I did not do this and relied on him. This is no small dealer and has one of the best service depts (so we are told, in the Ford dealership network.

Mike, Thanks for helping me out!! I have no idea how long I would have run this before finding out. I try to change this stuff once per year.

Needless to say I was very pi$$ed off and my friend my not be a friend anymore after me telling him how much BS this was that he did not know his stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing MemberPeregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
It thought MOST knowledgable service dept. guys would at least look up correct part numbers to save face. We've got a parts counter guy at a local stealership here that thinks he knows more than the average Joe, in which he probably does, but there's always one person that's going to dead-on with what they're talking about. He doesn't deal with that too well....

Good thing you caught the problem early on!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
ktwelsch
FoFo Lover.

Fan#: 30202
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3i

FF Reputation: 9 ktwelsch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
Yeah....I've decided that I only deal with Mike at Hillbish.... less problems that way...
SEDAN REVOLUTION #42 Baby!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
JediButch
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 36039
What I Drive: 2003, Blue, Focus SE (2.0 SOHC SPI)

FF Reputation: 1 JediButch Good Standing Member
What?

I thought manual tranny (gear oil) was thick and not red.
And auto tranny fluid was slick and red.

How could this have happened?

Am I wrong?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
Some manual transmissions do use ATX fluid, i.e., one of the Focus MY 2000 transmissions (MTX75) specified use of ATX fluid. So use of ATX fluid in a manual would not be obviously incorrect without checking the specification.

As an aside, Ford also specifies the use of ATX fluid in their power steering, rather than Power Steering Fluid.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
PumkinSvt
Dat Bewst Life!!

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF

FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
i have atx fluid in mine i dont have any problems

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 02-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
^^um...not a good idea.

you need gear oil in the getrag so ive been told. it might be a good idea to change it.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing MemberPeregrine Excellent Standing Member
Ohhhh that bad stuff for syncros.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
PumkinSvt
Dat Bewst Life!!

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF

FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
i asked around and they told me that i can use mobile 1 mercon v
but if its bad ill change it out asap

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Memberb16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
This has been discussed before many times. The MTX-75 uses XTM5QS which states on the bottle that it is "manual transmission fluid", but the svt takes atx fluid. Theres alot of miss information out there and even some car manuals that came with teh car states that it uses XTM5QS for the svt. It doesnt takes atx fluid. I promise you that this is true. I have had guys tell me that they have run the XTM5QS fluid and had no problems but some have. All i ever run is the Royal Purple Syncromax (atx) in any that i work on,l (svt only).

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!

Bookmarks & Social Networks