2000 ZX3 just died and wont restart! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
ixthus_km
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53275
What I Drive: 2000 red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ixthus_km Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 ZX3 just died and wont restart!

My 2000 ford focus zx3 zetec 2.0 (106k miles) has been running great, then all of a sudden quickly died at a stoplight and won't restart. The engine turns over and there is spark, but its sounding somewhat rough while cranking. I checked the emergency fuel shut off switch and swapped the fuel pump relay, which did not help. When I turn the key to on, i'm pretty sure I hear the pump turn on, but for 1 sec. at the most. What do you suggest? What is the best/EASIEST way to check if there is fuel pressure to the injectors?

Last edited by ixthus_km; 02-01-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How do you know there's spark?

A short fuel pump charge is good- unless the pump has previously been running for a very long time. Fuel pumps don't generally crap out all at once- but it can happen like that. Pulling the spark plugs after attempting to start should verify if you have fuel- you can also generally smell it at the tailpipe too. If it cranks fast at first, then slows down with a strong fuel smell from the exhaust, that is probably showing you it's flooding and something is preventing combustion.

Just crapping out on that does sound like it could be a coil problem, but I'd want to check compression myself to eliminate any mechanical problems before replacing a coil.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
PS: I don't know of any way to check fuel pressure on one of Ford's returnless EFI systems like we have in the Focus. You can- but it requires cutting the fuel line to install a mechanical gauge. I've heard that there is a port where you can screw in a fuel pressure tester at the end of the fuel rail, but from what I was told this was an SVT thing only. Check for any bolts that might be used as a plug in the end of the fuel rail- it won't be holding anything down.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
ixthus_km
Focus Rookie

To test spark I pulled a couple of wires (one at a time) and did the ol screwdriver to block trick while my accommodating wife attempted to start. The wires sparked at seemingly regular intervals, which would seem to indicate that the timing belt is okay. Another thread however with a smiilar problem on an '01 recommended checking that the timing belt has not snapped or slipped. Could this be it?

Also, I do believe I could smell fuel after attempting to start, however it was sleeting out while i was working on it last night, so I probably didn't give it the attention I should have. I'll check again.

THanks so much for the advice!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
if you have spark and smell fuel most likely your fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail went out.
will have a couple wires and a vacuum hose going to it. pull the vac hose and have someone crank it. if fuel comes out of the regulator, its toast.
mine went and killed the car due to raw fuel dumping into the manifold.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
00focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1594
What I Drive: 2000 Focus Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 00focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
you can install an adaptor on the fuel rail and hookup a gage mcnews automotive has the parts

jt evo 5front and rear, evo fogs, evo-5 exhaust, ww side skirts, halo hl, 17"rev model 12 rims(black) with dunlop sport fm 901 rubber,easystreet air ride suspension with ride pro digital management,debadged, dvd with 7.2" monitors, fc antenna, euro grille
-BoB-
Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
ixthus_km
Focus Rookie

Alright, I'm not 100% about fuel getting to the rail, but like I said I can hear the pump charging the system when the key is turned on. Thanks Goinloco for the advice, but according to my infallible Haynes manual and my looking at the engine, the DOHC Zetec-E engine does not have a fuel pressure regulator.

Here's something: I loosened and pulled back the upper timing belt cover to check it, and although I haven't changed or worked with many timing belts, mine seems to be awfully loose (I can depress it quite a ways between the camshaft sprockets and twist it with a screwdriver), and it looks in very bad shape. It appears to be missing a tooth in the short span I can see and the belt definitely has cracks in it. Could it have broken and given me the above problems, and if so, is this an engine that is nice enough to bend all my valves in that case?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
ixthus_km
Focus Rookie

Any word on whether this zetec DOHC engine is an interference engine? I'm getting some shop guys telling me it is, but the stuff i'm reading says its not??
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
no, a standard zetec engine is not. the SVT zetec is, however.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
ixthus_km
Focus Rookie

Thanks! that's what I thought, but I keep getting conflicting reports. Now I've just got to decide whether I do it myself or get it done for me...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->