Low Beam Headlight Failure - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
micahburkhart
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48724
What I Drive: 2003,black,ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 micahburkhart Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Low Beam Headlight Failure

Here is the situation. I have a 2003 ZTS Model and have recently replaced the headlights three times in the last three months. There is no condisation in the headlight fixture and only the low beams seem to burn out. I have tried three different headlight manufacturers and the same thing with all three. The original lights that were in the car lasted 18 months after i bought it, but now they go out within a month.

Any adivce on how i can fix this problem? Perhaps im doing something wrong? I do try and not touch the glass part of the bulb when installing. Also i have no extra features on my car everything is stock. Perhaps someone offers a bulb with a lifetime warranty?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
sir alpha
puddins betch

Fan#: 28587
What I Drive: 05 ,ZX3, blue

FF Reputation: 3 sir alpha Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
did u check the wire pig tail in the housing, it sounds as if the problem is in the wiring some where

i put in xennon and melted the pig tail but silver stars work good for me now

ALFRED NEWMAN for prez!! maaan
Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
micahburkhart
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48724
What I Drive: 2003,black,ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 micahburkhart Good Standing Member
Pigtail

All the wires look good to the pigtail but does it matter if the high beams still work? They are on the same bulb. Only the low beam part of the bulb burns out.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
cafociguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21858
What I Drive: 01 ZX3, 03 ZX3 PWSCed

FF Reputation: 46 cafociguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Mine did that for a while, did you happen to bump the bulb as you were putting it in the light housing? Or did you touch it, anything on that housing can make the bulb blow. Mine melted the pigtail and I had to replace it, once it was replaced I never had a problem again, same bulbs silverstars for over 2 years.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
alk3civichater
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26247
What I Drive: '10 Nissan Sentra SE-R

FF Reputation: 15 alk3civichater Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Hey I kinda have the same problem! but its only the driver side.. I replaced both bulbs about a year ago, then 5 months ago driver side went out, replaced only that one.. now yesterday the same side went out again! I know Im not touching the bulb when im putting it in..
im guessing maybe theres a short or something? I wanna take it to ford and just be like "fix it!!" but i know they wont... from the plugs back it LOOKS fine.. but i dunno??

I live my life an EIGHTH mile at a time, for those eleven seconds or less, I'm free
Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
The only thing I can think of is a voltage problem (or maybe lots of bad bulbs)- either too high or too low. More likely too high. Do you have a voltage tester?

This could be an early sign of a bad alternator- more specifically the voltage regulator in the alternator.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
oddballish
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51285
What I Drive: 2006,Blue,fx4

FF Reputation: 1 oddballish Good Standing Member
Whynot I was thinking the same thing but why would a voltage spike only go for the low beams and not the tail or marker lights too? Micahburkhart does your battery show signs of getting hot, corrosion around the terminals or the case swelling. If you do you are probably over charging. Three sets of bulbs that quick is a little odd
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Well, I was hoping for a test so we'd know whether it was low or high, and then know where to start checking.

If it's low, swap the low beam relay with another, then test again, if it's still low then check your battery terminals and start tracing the wiring back looking for physical damage.

If it's high, then I'd go straight to the alternator and test across the battery terminals with the engine running. The reason that the other lamps don't go out could be that the other lamps are traditional filaments, and your special problem affects the halogens more so than traditional tungsten filaments.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
MCPayne
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43185
What I Drive: 2001 Focus ZX3 Automatic

FF Reputation: 1 MCPayne Good Standing Member
I had the same problem with both bulbs, starting last September, both bulbs have since had to be replaced twice. As far as I know they were just defective bulbs, but seems unlikely. I had the electrical system checked but my local guy couldn't find anything, and seems to think the switch may be starting to fail, and I was talking with my mom about how much further we want to continue putting money into the car. Mine is a 2001 SE sedan with almost 108,000 miles on it, and my mom even went as far as getting the Consumer Reports Auto Review issue, now I can't stop thinking about getting a new car, even though I want to keep this car at least another couple years.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
alk3civichater
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26247
What I Drive: '10 Nissan Sentra SE-R

FF Reputation: 15 alk3civichater Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I dont have a voltage meter, maybe i could pick one up there pretty cheap right? im hoping its not the alternator.. cuz i dont think that IS cheap... but why would it only affect the drivers side?

I live my life an EIGHTH mile at a time, for those eleven seconds or less, I'm free

Bookmarks & Social Networks