About the 2.5L duratec swap. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Muhaha2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49769
What I Drive: 2002 Dblue zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Muhaha2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
About the 2.5L duratec swap.

Okay, so my engine is err. getting old and has a not so nice cold idle...... Looking to swap!, it's an Atx anyway, want an Mtx so i feel this is the route for me. Wanted to do full SVT conversion, engine/trans. BUT.. it's kinda rare to find an svt motor/trans soooo.. i was looking into the 2.5L v6 from a mercury Cougar... I know there are a few out there,(with the swap) and i saw that the swap was pretty straight forward, besides some minor fabrication to the motor mounts.. Have the funds though, and seems cheap! Anyone see a dyno on one? curious as to what kind of results i would see. Opinions welcome =) OR opinions on another swap are as well =)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
akmer
Banned

Fan#: 25083
What I Drive: 2004 Infra Red zx3

FF Reputation: 2 akmer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
im interested in thise aswell
Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52341
What I Drive: 2005, Blazing copper, focus.

FF Reputation: 1 Bvtt_Whiper Good Standing Member
why not go 2.3? Its lighter and has better options as far as FI
Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Muhaha2
Focus Enthusiast

Hmm, well i can kind of picture that nice deep tone i'd get with a nice exhaust system and resonator + it's my daily driver, i think i'd get better gas mileage on the v6(as opposed to FI 2.3, also i would think that the 2.3 would be a rare find, no? I mean everyone and their dog with a focus would want one no? but like i said im open about the subject =) point me to a decently priced on with low mileage and i'll take it. Mercury cougars are a dime a dozen. If i ever wanted FI, i could slap on a small turbo, spools fast for that low end torque and ever elusive "TSSSS" sound haha
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhaha2 View Post
Hmm, well i can kind of picture that nice deep tone i'd get with a nice exhaust system and resonator + it's my daily driver, i think i'd get better gas mileage on the v6(as opposed to FI 2.3, also i would think that the 2.3 would be a rare find, no? I mean everyone and their dog with a focus would want one no? but like i said im open about the subject =) point me to a decently priced on with low mileage and i'll take it. Mercury cougars are a dime a dozen. If i ever wanted FI, i could slap on a small turbo, spools fast for that low end torque and ever elusive "TSSSS" sound haha
No.

You can pick up a 2.3 from a ford ranger from a junkyard = easy find. I believe the only difference between the ranger and the focus is the oil pan and some minor things like timing cover.

The FI 2.3 will have fine gas mileage as long as you dont stomp on it in the boost constantly... the cost of the V6 will totally outweigh any difference in mileage...

The 2.3L makes great tourque and the head flows so well that it spools even larger turbos (for the focus) into full boost by mid 3k rpms.

Does anyone make anything for the cougar? I think there was a SC kit.. I donno about anything else.

The V6 is also alot heavier... so I donno what youre looking for as far as engines man. I think the 4 has the 6 beat on most counts unless it is a rediculous custom build.. I am sorry to say.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Muhaha2
Focus Enthusiast

Ah, i see. Had no idea about the Ranger having the same engine, my dad owns a ranger actually. Never took a look at the motor though, that's not a bad idea @ all. If u get more info on the differences, i'd be happy to hear about it. I'll continue to research =) thx alot
Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Muhaha2
Focus Enthusiast

Okay, not really looking into too much of an outrageous swap. will the 2.3 duratec bolt up to the ztec frame? same mounts? slightly mod is okay, but not super custom. also im seeing that the focus 2.3 is the 23EW and the one on the ranger is the 23NS.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Bvtt_Whiper
Focus Enthusiast

there are minor differences in the engines but the parts specifically for the focus will bolt right onto it cus its the same thing... you will need an oil pan, etc.

I dont know anything about modifying the mounts.. I would assume it wouldnt be too bad. NOt as bad as a V6 lol.

If I were you Id make another thread asking about a zetec to D23 swap to get your answers.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Muhaha2
Focus Enthusiast

I was actually turned on to the Swap because they said it was pretty much plug and play. BUT! they may have meant duratec2.0 to 2.5duratec -_-.. PLUS think of how nice a v6 would sound with an svt exhaust system, or even a 3' exhaust all the way.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #10
alk3civichater
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26247
What I Drive: '10 Nissan Sentra SE-R

FF Reputation: 15 alk3civichater Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Are the 2.3's in the fusion the same?? Would those bolt right up?

I live my life an EIGHTH mile at a time, for those eleven seconds or less, I'm free

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.