So you're planning on going FI - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #71
BOOST170
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57946
What I Drive: 2004 Imperial Blue Focus ST170

FF Reputation: 1 BOOST170 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^what he said too^^
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #72
focusedaddiction
2focusedracing

Fan#: 23787
What I Drive: 2003 sangria red 5spd. ZX3Turbo

Points 2,448, Level 29
Points: 2,448, Level: 29 Points: 2,448, Level: 29 Points: 2,448, Level: 29
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 focusedaddiction Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
maybe we should add a plumbing section too...oil lines & sizes , and water lines and locations to tap from if they're water cooled. especiallky for new comers looking at fi.
this is an awsome thread, keep up the great info.
_/\_/\_SCCA_/\_/\_SM #74_/\_/\_BRING ON THE CONES!...zetec crew #74
ZX3..underpressure
tuning by TOM
Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #73
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

Points 20,664, Level 90
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
Turbo: forces compressed air into the engine using a fan in a compressor housing that is driven by another fan in the exhuast housing. housing are connected by a chra which cools and lubricates the rotating assembly.

Intercooler: when air is compressed it is heated and that heat can cause detonation. the heated air is cooled either by an air to air, or a air to water intercooler. there are many different sizes for different power and boost levels.

wastegates: the wastegate is one of two kinds, internal or external. both perform the same task, controlling the amount of exhaust that is allowed to travel through the exhaust housing; therefore controling impeller speed and boost. once a set level of boost is reached the wastegate opens and allows exhaust to pass by the turbo and either be directed back into the exhaust after the turbo or vented/dumped in to the atmosphere.

blow off / diverter / recirculation valve: all perform the same task, they vent pressure that is build up under sudden throttle closing, such as durring a shift.

charge piping: used to direct the air from the turbo to the intercooler (hotside), then from the intercooler to the throttle body (cold side). i have seen lots of debates over sizes on here.. but most say 2.25 on hot side and 2.5 on the cold side.

oil feed and return lines: feed and return lines keep the chra lubricated. the feed line can be ran from the plug in the oil gallery on the side of the head behind the coil pack or one of the oil gallery plugs on the back of the engine. the return line should be -10an line or equivalent, no 90* bend right after the turbo. it should be routed back into the engine either through a fitting on the oil pan or the windage tray. do not put it below oil level in the pan, but always lower than the turbo.

exhaust manifold: this is the part that routes the exhaust to the turbo and wastegate. there are a lot of different designs including tubular and log style.

coupler and clamps: on the couplers the more ply's the better. on the clamps you can either use worm gear clamps for lower boost, but i would recommend T style clamps for high.

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 07-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #74
svt_gEEk
oldFart

Fan#: 18578
What I Drive: nothing

FF Reputation: 3 svt_gEEk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Has anyone ever used a water-cooled turbo? That's what I will be using and was wondering where to tap into the coolant system at. I thought maybe figure out a way to run it from that crappy plugged up hole in the t-stat housing that keeps leaking, solve two problems at a time.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #75
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have always ran water cooler turbos, its a very simple thing to set up.You just simply splice into a pre exsisting hose.

When standing infront of the car, look down at the radiator. You will see the plastic log thats mounted to the radiator support, there are 2 lines coming from the right side of it going towards the engine.

Simply splice into the hose on the LEFT (in other words the fartherst left of the 2 coming off of the right side of the log)

2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #76
HaveBlue83

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
oh....did anyone do the "heat exchanger" or Water-Water front mount? like the jackson doesnt have one and the PW does? I didnt see that under "intercoolers" even though it's kinda different....lol

if I am wrong just delete this...HAHAHA......
Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #77
svt_gEEk
oldFart

What's the deal with blow-through and draw-through set-ups? Could someone explain the difference in them?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #78
IslandFocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22161
What I Drive: 2000 Imperial Blue Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 IslandFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Draw through is when the MAF is before the turbo/supercharger and essentially sucks air through it. In a blow through setup, the MAF is placed after the turbo/supercharger and air is blown through it. Blow through allows you to run a blow off valve, which will be placed after the turbo but before the MAFS. With a draw through setup, a diverter valve is used to divert the boost pressure from your "pressure side" after the turbo to your non-pressure side before the turbo........but after the MAFS.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #79
svt_gEEk
oldFart

Ok, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. I just wanted to make sure I was setting mine up correctly. I was going to put the MAF after the BOV both on the charge side of the piping right before the intake.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #80
Nyt_Muves
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59352
What I Drive: 2006 Sonic Blue ZX3 SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 Nyt_Muves Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What about the DURATEC guys? do we have any options? And what are the weak points of our drivetrains to consider?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.