HOW TO: Intermittent Wiper Problem Fix. AKA TSB Fix. - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #41
osufans
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23001
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 8 osufans Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yeah, just something that was annoying. i finally got tired of it and fixed it.
'03 ZX5 SVT - Pitch Black #268
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #42
arlenn
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67609
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 16 arlenn Great Standing Member
I am having a similar problem with the wipers not parking correctly; when the wipers are killed they stop in place and do not return to the correct park position.

I have replaced the relays, but they were already the -AA replacements, the new ones made no change.

I have seen this type of problem with poor electrical grounding, although i don't really feel that this is the problem with this one, everything is a little too clean.

anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

edit:

*must replace the correct relay :P, the suspect ones were hiding behind the sheetmetal of the fuse block holder*

Last edited by arlenn; 09-17-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #43
andyandlexi
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34114
FF Reputation: 1 andyandlexi Good Standing Member
I just swapped over the rear and front wiper relays and this cured the wiper parking fault on the front without transferring any fault to the rear. (maybe a loose relay in the first place?) It's worth a try before buying a new one!

On a UK model focus the central junction box can be found by removing the glove box.......should take about 15 minutes for the whole job.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #44
X6StringerX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64835
What I Drive: FOCUS!!!

FF Reputation: 3 X6StringerX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just decided to do this fix and was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't need to use any tools other than a flashlight. I'm no contortionist, but I found it very easy to access the relay without removing anything. I would advise anyone that is interested in replacing their relay to take a look before they start removing bolts. $11 and 2 minutes later and I had fully functional wipers.

*NOTE* My car is a sedan, so I didn't have a rear wiper relay to get in the way. It might be a little more difficult with the rear wiper relay in place.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #45
arlenn
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67609
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 16 arlenn Great Standing Member
from a previous post, these are just a relay and are available from electronic supplier for about 3.75$ ea.

there must have been a change to the fuse block holder, as there was no way to remove relays without the removal of the fuse block, the relays were covered by the holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyandlexi View Post
I just swapped over the rear and front wiper relays and this cured the wiper parking fault on the front without transferring any fault to the rear. (maybe a loose relay in the first place?) It's worth a try before buying a new one!

On a UK model focus the central junction box can be found by removing the glove box.......should take about 15 minutes for the whole job.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #46
X6StringerX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64835
What I Drive: FOCUS!!!

FF Reputation: 3 X6StringerX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenn View Post
there must have been a change to the fuse block holder, as there was no way to remove relays without the removal of the fuse block, the relays were covered by the holder.
My panel was exactly as the one picture in the first post. It looks tighter than it is. There is plenty of room to remove the relay. Pull straight out and right before the prongs make it all the way out of the socket, you can tilt it ever so slightly to the left or the right and it'll come right out.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #47
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just had to do this, was extremely helpful! Took me 15 minutes with installing new wipers, thanks!

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #48
jacko83
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70489
What I Drive: 1999 Red 1.8 Petrol

FF Reputation: 1 jacko83 Good Standing Member
Hi guys, ive just been reading through this post and it seems like this is the perfect solution for my problem...however as somebody has already stated, i too have a combined R18 and R19 relay in my junction box. Are the relays identical in Spec? Can i Buy two of the relays intended for the R19 socket?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #49
First Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70215
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, Comfort SE

FF Reputation: 2 First Focus Good Standing Member
The part number listed in the first post above was superceded by this current relay part number: F5TZ-14N089-B and it costs just $13.36 at any local Ford Dealer. 15 minutes of simple work as stated above and I am good to go! Nice to have the park function back!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #50
SeanL
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 68841
What I Drive: 2012 Boss 302, 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 SeanL Good Standing Member
I do have a wiper problem, but it is different. The wipers will work, then get stuck in park position, then not work till I slam my fist down on the wiper or pull it. Then they stop again....I figured it was a hardware issue, but they work fine most of the time. When they do start to have this issue they seem to struggle to move when they do move, except in high speed mode. But when they stop high speed does not work, and the rear does not work either.... Also when I use the rear washer the radio cuts out! Ford gremlins?

Bookmarks & Social Networks