HOW TO: Intermittent Wiper Problem Fix. AKA TSB Fix. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
mister_bin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50998
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 27 mister_bin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
HOW TO: Intermittent Wiper Problem Fix. AKA TSB Fix.

This is a how to on how to fix the Technical service bulliten 04-15-2 the loss of intermitted wipers or loss of park function.

The fix is really quite simple and will only take 20 -30 minutes of your time. Here's what you will need

3/8 Ratchet
6 or 8" 3/8 extension
Reducer 3/8 to 1/4
5/16 socket (if its a 3/8 socket you dont need the reducer)
Needle Nose Pliers
7mm Nut Driver
5/16 Nut Driver (Optional)
Shop Light (Optional)

and of course the relay itself..

Ford Part Number F5TZ-14N089-B

* Note the old part number mentioned on this board 1S42-14N089-AA has been replaced with the above part number *

Step One

Remove Your Fuse Panel door and un bolt the 4 5/16 bolts holding the lower dash in place.. I kicked them loose and the used the nut driver to take them out reduces the risk of a ratchet smacking my dash..

The Red circles show were the bolts are that have to be undone in order to take the panel out

Once the Bolts are done wiggle it out of place and let it rest on the pedals. here is no need to remove the OBD II Port and the Hood Release cable so dont worry about them

Step Two

Your going to want to get a light if its dark or you cant see very well. Next locate the two bolts holding the fuse panel to the steel mounting bracket. Now get your 7mm Nut driver and unscrew those bolts.

Location of both the bolts and the relay. Note the panel is pictured the way you will see it under the dash. So left is the driver door and right is the passenger side.

Once Both Bolts are unscrewed your going to want to squeeze the two plastic tabs and push. With a little bit of wiggling and giggling the fuse panel will pop out. ** CAUTION Dont be to rough you may pinch or pull a wire and thats never fun **

Squeeze the tabs shown above while pushing gently on the top of the panel.

Of the two grey Relays the One on the left is the Rear Wiper Relay R18 and the one on the right is the Front Wiper Relay R19

Step Three

Now that you have full access to the relay you can go ahead and pull it out. R18 is the Relay for the Rear Wipers (Relay Closest to the Door) and R19 is the relay for the front wipers (Closest to your Head Unit) if you are unsure of wich relay is R18 or R19 you can consult your manual there is a diagram outlining the location and function of each relay.

*The Grey one is the old relay and the black is the replacement*\

My Relay way in there pretty tight so i wiggled it out a bit and then got a pair of needle nose pliers to pull her out.

Step Four

To put the relay back in line up the pins and push it back in.. On the Relay there are 3 vertical pins those pins go on the bottom.. Line up the pins support the fuse panel with one hand and push the relay in with the other.

Step Five

To get the fuse panel in you need to first hook the bottom clips the push it into the bracket. Replace the two 7mm bolts snug them down and replace the lower part of the dash...

And your done no more annoying problem...

Last edited by mister_bin; 02-09-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
strlng
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53212
What I Drive: 2002 Neptune Green Focus FFV

FF Reputation: 1 strlng Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wich problem is this method solving? I'm having trouble with the wiper fuse popping when it's wet. Ford claims they don't know whats wrong..
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
so this will fix me having an intermitten switch but only 2 speed wipers on the front? thats my biggest problem (been trying to go intermittent since i got the car and i know it aint the switch. so is it the relay?
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
mister_bin
Focus Addict

This fixes the TSB.. loss of wiper park function.. so basically your wipers wont park or they will act strangely when wiping (ie stop in the middle of the windshield)

^^ killer ZETEC you can try the relay but no promises on my part

^^^ Strlng sound like you have a short some were in the elecrtical system especially pertaining to the wirper circuit.. Could be a faulty relay but again i dunno
Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Thanks for the write-up! I got as far as pulling out the first two 7mm bolts but then couldn't understand how to get at the relays behind the metal cross piece. I can't believe I missed the locking tabs that hold the fuse panel! Figures it would be something so simple...lol

You sir deserve some rep points!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
sure i'll try the new relay. if it dont work i'll say eff inter mittent and jsut pick up a nother 2 speed switch. hell my relay may only have a 2 speed setting and thats whats keeping it from going, hell i been on this issue since i got te car...)
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,353, Level 98
Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strlng View Post
Wich problem is this method solving? I'm having trouble with the wiper fuse popping when it's wet. Ford claims they don't know whats wrong..
I think I might. If the Euro Focus is wired similar to the US Focus, then all the accessory wiring is connected via a bulkhead connector behind the driver's inner fenderwell plastic. Remove the wheel, and see if there is a large black hunk of plastic with wires going into it and a bolt in the center. It would be on the firewall. You'll need some dielectric grease, also called spark plug boot grease. Unbolt the connector, wiggle and pull until it separates. If the inside half falls out- don't worry, the connector is sandwiched around the hole in the firewall and holds itself in place- just be sure when you bolt it back in that it is correctly seated or you could have a water leak. Once the connector is apart, clean both sides, and apply the grease. Then bolt the connector back together making sure it's seated properly in the hole through the firewall. You can use silicone around the inside half if it makes you feel better- there should be no problems as a result of doing this on that side of the connector.

The only other problem would be at the connector on the wiper motor which is in the cowl- the section of body (plastic on a US Focus) between the hood and the windshield. Remove this plastic, and you should see the wiper motor, check the connector at the wiper motor, and follow the wiring as far as you can see- inspecting for physical damage. I'd think that the problem would be most likely at the connector itself if this is where it is.

One more thing to check- try using the wipers when it's dry outside. If the fuse blows, then your problem is not the wiring, but the wiper motor.

I hope that helps you- I hate tracing down weird electrical problems in cars.

Nice write-up- sorry to thread jack!!!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
HyBalz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18573
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 49 HyBalz Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
killer ZETEC, the intermittent wiper control IS in the switch. Mine didn't have them and I went to the ford store and bought a switch for intermittent operation for less than $30.00. I replaced the 2 speed version and now I have intermittent wipers.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
mister_bin
Focus Addict

Thanks for the rep guys.... Killer i hope you find your problem man...
Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Livens
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Livens Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the How-To :) Swapped out the relay and everything is as it should be now. My wipers went back up almost half way after parking, and pushing the wiper stalk down the wipers just stopped when you let it go...

2 things. On my 2002 ZX5 the front wiper relay was the one on the right, not the left. Also I didnt see the need for removing the lower dash panel. When you pull the fuse door off you can easily get to the 2 fuse panel screws with an extension. Took me less than 10 minutes to do the job.

Thanks again

Jeremy

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.