Questions and good info. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-18-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Questions and good info.

Pissed my self off by posting this on the wrong forum. I had too many windows pulled up and must have clicked on the wrong one. Just click the link and let me know what you think. Looking for some answers and trying to help others out. Thanks.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=14523

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 02:48 AM   #2
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

I'll just cut and paste it over here. Sorry for the mix up.

Hi, I'm new so please don't flame me off the start but I had a few quick questions for everyone and I am looking for your opinions. I have also been reading the forums alot from many diffrent sites so I have some info I would like to pass on also.

First questions:
What size plug wires come stock with a SVT Focus? I want to get a set of 9mm but not if that is already what is in there.

Every one says get a after market intake 65mm to 70mm. The stock one in a SVT is supposed to be 65mm tapered down to 63mm (according to someone on this forum). So whats the deal? Is a after market 65mm so much better than a stock 65mm?

I had my ecu (pcm?) flashed in March. Would I have the YRFO flash or has there been a newer on out? I have a 02 SVT. Also can some one drop me an e-mail if Ford gets an updated (new) flash out there?

Some one on this forum said you can port your own intake and that it is easy, is this true? Mind you I am as mechanically inclined as my 2 year old (he has a slight edge).

How important is it to unplug your battery (reset your ecu/pcm) after a mod. Not many people mention doing this I have heard from many mechanics that after doing a mod if you don't do this you will not get the full effect of the mod. Is this true and should you do it everytime you tweak your engine or just the big stuff?

I know this is a stupid question but here it goes. What is so damn good about those damn Civics? The fastest Civic they make is the SI http://www.downsford.com/focusarticle.htm and the SVT still blows it away. I realize that there are bolt on parts out the ass for it but all it comes down to is this, are they that nice/fast of a car or have they just been over populurized (may have made that word up) by all these street racing, rice burning movies and video games?

Facts/Opinions I have found:
Like I said earlier, I have been looking on the net and forums alot (too much) and have found alot of interesting stuff I hope some/all of you can use also. This may sound alittle mushy but if we all help each other out and pass all the info we have on we will all benifit from it (I love you guys).

Alot of people do not realize that when you turn the t/c (traction control) off with the oem switch that it is still active till 20mph (no shit, ain't that some bs) so everyone saying "I turn mine off with the oem switch before racing (draging,etc..)" You are not turning shit off unless you yank the fuse. Here is the info:

ACCESSORIES WHICH MAY ROB PERFORMANCE

Winter Package – The traction control feature of this package is designed to kill wheelspin, so hard launches are not possible without you allowing heavy clutch slip to compensate. TC is ALWAYS on below 20 MPH in this car. When you disable it via the center console switch it only disables TC for speeds over 20 MPH. You can override this feature by pulling the F-12 fuse in the engine bay fuse box, but it will also disable your ABS function while that fuse is pulled. Some people are rigging up another switch to disable the F-12 fuse leads in order to truly kill TC on demand.

This link is the best,most informational forum post I have found yet. The amount of informationis amazing and from what I can tell is right on about all of it. To much to type (even for me) and way to long to paste so please everyone go to this link, you will be amazed.

[url]http://myfordfocus.com/forum/printthread.php3?threadid=6074[url]

This has really ticked me off over time. All these forums saying this wax is better no this one is better that one sucks. Here it is from consumer reports (way out dated but could be used as a good guide line)whom everyone should take confidence in:
May 2000

• Main report
• Polishes for the persnickety

Auto polishes
In performance order
Product Price Overall score Volume or weight Type Gloss Durability Cleaning Ease of use Scratching
/hazing Comments

Zymöl Cleaner Wax $16.00 16 oz. Liquid —
Prestone Bullet Wax 7.25 16 Liquid Unique, handy applicator.
Nu Finish Car Polish 6.22 14 Paste —
Armor All Car Wax 5.57 16 Liquid —
3M One Step Cleaner Wax 39006 6.46 16 Liquid Less [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*e to staining trim than most.
Turtle Wax Emerald Series Advanced Liquid Wax 8.40 16 Liquid Comes with applicator.
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Car Wax 3.06 16 Liquid —
Nu Finish Car Polish 5.98 16 Liquid Manufacturer recommends a second application after 30 days for maximum protection.
Eagle One Wet Polish and Wax 9.61 16 Liquid Comes with applicator.
Blue Coral Cleaner Wax with Swirl Remover 6.16 16 Liquid —
Turtle Wax Express Shine Spray Car Wax 4.88 16 Spray Can be used on plastic trim.
Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax 9.95 16 Liquid Comes with applicator.
Mothers California Gold Original Formula Cleaner Wax 6.07 16 Liquid Less [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*e to staining trim than most.
Rain-X Ultra Wax 7.51 16 Liquid Comes with applicator.
Armor All Spray On Car Polish 4.82 17.5 Spray Less [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*e to staining trim than most.
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax 5.69 16 Liquid —
Turtle Wax Finish 2001 4.25 16 Liquid Manufacturer recommends a second application after 30 days for maximum protection.
Blue Coral Self Wax No BuffCar Wax 3.87 16 Liquid Less [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*e to staining trim than most. Discontinued, but may still be available.
Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Step 3 Carnauba Wax 5.35 16 Liquid Less [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*e to staining trim than most.
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax Phase 3 8.84 16 Liquid Less [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*e to staining trim than most.
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Car Wax 3.10 14 Paste Comes with applicator.
Mothers California Gold Original Formula Cleaner Wax 7.62 12 Paste Less [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*e to staining trim than most.
Meguiar's Quick Wax 7.18 16 Spray Can be used on plastic trim.
The Wax Shop Super Glaze 8.34 12 Liquid Can be used on plastic trim. Requires 10 minutes to dry.
Turtle Wax Emerald Series Advanced Paste Wax 8.28 12 Paste Comes with applicator.
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax 5.41 11 Paste Comes with applicator

Also here a site where they did there own test, click link for results http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

This is what I use http://www.zymol.com/onestp2.htm goes on a little thick and takes a little buffing on a black car (which I have) but once you get it buffed down I don't know how you can get any better.

We have all heard about the snorkle and I promise it is true, if you take that thing off it improves the sound under the hood 10x. I thought it was bs but tried it my self and damn I could hear a diffrence. I can't say I gained any performance from it but I know I didn't loose any.

Instead of going into all the other things,fact and mods I found I will just paste the links and you people can look at the site and not hear it from me.

This site has the coolest info about diffrent mods (some free), also gives you interesting info on programing your oem alarm, keyless entry, warning ding (seat belts) and just about every thing else. Check it out http://www.focushacks.com/

These are some good sites to look up diffrent hp, 0-60 times, etc... for many makes of vehicles.

http://www.downsford.com/focusarticle.htm Look here at an SVT head to head with other cars in its class.

http://www.car-stats.com/stats/search/choosemake.aspx
http://www.car-videos.com/performan...0&Speed2=60

Wondering about any service bulletins, recalls or complaints on any vehicle.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

If the Ford dealer gives you shit about whats covered under warranty or you know something is covered but they say it is not (flash upgrades for example) or if they plain give you a hard time call
Ford Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Phone: 800-392-3673

http://www.ford.com/en/support/cont...m?source=botnav

I did once and let me tell you, they don't put up with anything.

Also here is a good web site for all SVT owners
http://www.svtoa.com/default.asp
You get a year free membership just for owning a SVT ($35 a year other wise,I think $35). I received cool stuff from them for three days in a row (Very cool hat, svt key chain, decals, mags, etc....). Everyone who owns a SVT should go there.

A little long winded but I type fast and I had alot of questions and some good info I wanted to pass on.
If you want to get in contact with me to suggest something or ask me some thing My e-mail is jwells8@insight.rr.com. Also I am sure I spelled alot stuff wrong and my grammar is not great but I don't need it pointed out.

Last edited by sidney61199; 06-27-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:50 AM   #3
Shady R
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
looks like good info and lots of research. It's most definitely long but worth while to read. good job.

8mm OEM.

It allows air to flow more quickly, but in my opinion I would just hone the stock TB and save the $200+ for some thing else. not worth it to me for such a small return. Let the machine shop do it if your mechanicly declined, you do not want to mess the TB up cause oops is to late in this part of your engine. It is easy for DIY but they don't mention that they have done all there mods macguiver style and turned out great cause they have so much experience.

YRFO is the latest ECU bandage and a pretty good one at that. I wouldn't look forward to some one Emailing new info on this, but when new info comes in about it you will find it here.

After all mods we reset the ECU as second nature, Kind of the given like inhale exhale we just do it.

Well civics are the best economy car and the easiest and cheapest to mod. In stock form head to head the SVT will take a civic. With $200 in correct mods that civic will pull on an SVT. That is what makes them great. I will never own one couse I simply don't like them. but Those movies just made it worse and i would say they are just over popular with the kiddies.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hello and WOW, what a post. Lots of information in there, great helpful tips and links. .

If your SVTF was reflashed in March, you most likely have the latest ECU reflash (YRF0). Yes the stock SVTF TB is 65mm, but the aftermarket TB is 65mm all the way, unlike stock which you know tapers into a 63mm. I have heard that you can port your own TB, essveetee is the only SVTF owner I know that has a ported SVTF stock TB. I'm sure Nick will not mind sharing with you on how to do this if you are interested in porting your own.

The whole Honda theme exploded with the onset of those stupid movies FnF (I think), with the exploted Honda scene came a large aftermarket performance market. Yes I know its cheap to mod a Honda, and produce some great gains. I will not ever choose to own one, simply because I think Honda's are over-priced.

BTW, thanks for the info on car polish, very, very, helpful.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 05-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #5
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Great info, nice post.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thanks, sidney61199
So, that is a bit long-winded, but there's also a lot of good information,
and it's all organized in 1 post for a change.

I could have done without the wax information though.
That's pretty much covered in the Auto Detailing Forum
Member-waynestowels has some really good "stickies".
Old 05-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
CivicHatch+SVT-F
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4136
What I Drive: Chris=96 Civic Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 CivicHatch+SVT-F Good Standing Member
Good buy man, hope you enjoy it. My g/f is loving her Focus more and more every day. Dont forget to open her up in the twisties, thats what it was made for.

Good info man, if this post stays on topic it could become a useful FAQ

Civics are popular in the honda-tuner world (especially the hatch) because of how light it is (mines around 2150lbs right now) and the endless mix-n-match mods you can do to it. Drop a Integra GS-R in a civic... 14.5 stock. Drop an H22A in a civic...close to 14 flat stock. Plus to make up for the lack of torque, they use VTEC. A properly tuned head w/ a VTEC controller can give u a useable powerband up to 8600-9000 rpm. Even higher (but not much) if race-prepped.

But then theres the "ricers", the ones that think (for whatever reason) their stock 106hp D16Y7 or 127hp D16Y8 is a road monster. Most ricers have exhaust and think it adds an ungodly amount of hp. Sadly, these are the type of people that give the honda-tuners a bad image.

Ek hatch
- JDM b16 (SiRII) swap, Kaaz 1.5 way LSD, Evo2 exhaust, shorty intake, hi-flow cat, B&M 2-bend shifter, gutted, lightweight bucket CF seats, weighs in @ 2250lbs

Last edited by CivicHatch+SVT-F; 05-18-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:28 PM   #8
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
That is a long post, couple things if I may. The wax test by CR - they only tested the consumer-grade products (not surprising considering it is CONSUMER Reports ). There are other products out there that are much better than what they tested. I have used Zymol in the past and I don't like it at all - it is far too difficult to remove and for all that effort it looks no better than many other products. See my sig for an example of an easy to use and professional quality product that CR didn't test but a lot of us here on FF.com are happy with. And the other thing, the air snorkle. UltegraSTI (who no longer posts on here) claimed that removing it was dyno-proven to lose a little bit of power. I can't say whether this is true or not since I don't have access to a dyno, but like you I can't feel a difference in power one way or the other, just that with it off the intake is noticeably louder.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Thanks for the answers. So would upgrading to 9mm or 10mm plug wires really help? How bad can the stock ones on an SVT be? Same goes for TB if the stock is 65mm to 63mm how big of a diffrence would 2mm be? I hate wasteing the little money I have on an upgrade that does not upgrade. If you buy something that does not give you any benifit other than saying "I have _____ installed" than I think its a waste. I love links to good sites so I will post a few more to good graphic's sites (and decals). Hope you enjoy them.

http://www.ultimatedecals.com/index.php
http://www.speedgraphics.net/index.htm
http://www.edecals.com/
http://www.decalfx.com/mainpage.html
http://www.stripeman.com/automobile-pin-striping.htm
Old 05-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #10
myFordPerformance.com
Focus Addict

Fan#: 454
What I Drive: A Car

FF Reputation: 6 myFordPerformance.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Wires, a "nice to have", no noticable power gain.

T/B, by itself, probably not all that big of a power mod either. Focus Central publishes 2-4hp. Combine it with an intake kit, probably a better deal. Steeda publishes 7hp, so something on the order of 8-10hp combined. Is that worth, nearly $400, only you can decide :)

BTW, FREE S&H on the FC SVT t/b and the Steeda SVT intake on myFordPerformance.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.