Leaking Power Steering Fluid - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-17-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
spikNspan DAN
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5226
What I Drive: 02' Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 spikNspan DAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Leaking Power Steering Fluid

I had a problem a weak ago with low fluid, I filled it and though it was fine. Now it's low again which means it's leaking somewhere, but I don't know where it's leaking from. There is a build up of fluid all over my front axle and that's where it's dripping from. I don't know which tube it's leaking from, anyone have any tips for finding the source of the leak? All help is appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
Shady R
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
use a black light and black light reflective ink. put ink in power steering bottle,only a small amount is needed, drive for a week and check with the black light next time under the car, and follow it back. I did this for an oil leak wich I thought was the rear main seal but found it was actaully the valve cover. It worked well for my Couger may be it will help in this case to.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:39 AM   #3
spikNspan DAN
Focus Addict

Thanks, maybe I'll try that when I have the time this summer. Till then I'll just fill it back up every week so that it stays at the normal level.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
WRCZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3395
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 WRCZX3 Good Standing Member
You might want to check the fittings where the power steering lines go into the top of the steering rack. On the first oil change that I did on my 2001 focus, I noticed some fluid leaking from the fittings on the top of the rack. They were very loose and obviously had come that way from the factory since my car only had 1000 miles at that time. I tightened them up and topped of the fluid and that was all it took.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
spikNspan DAN
Focus Addict

Alright, I'll try that tomorrow when I have time. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
joedenny
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90327
What I Drive: silver

FF Reputation: 1 joedenny Good Standing Member
it would be the union pipe going into the pump there has been a well known problem with that fitting ford have updated the fitting but still wont give a call back on them .to get it fixed you have to buy both pipes and a union fitting plus the belts i bought them from ford 140 got them fitted for 60 sorted i thought a week later the accuall pipe came back out of the union brought this up with ford who then sold me a different union it is a moderfide union so ask for that one ford dont reconise there is a fault but new cars are the problem mine has only 40000 on it if you are going to fix it your self here is a tip there is a bracket that comes with the pipe it can be cut off and fixed through the head light it snaps into the union hope this helps

Bookmarks & Social Networks