Turn signal problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Dypheron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5571
What I Drive: Forest Green 2000 Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 Dypheron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Turn signal problem

So the other day I was driving around, and noticed that every time I had to turn the steering wheel to the right, a loud clicking sound would occur a few times when the wheel returned to center. Later that day, I put the turn signal on, made my turn, and as the wheel turned back, I heard a loud SNAP. Now whenever I use the turn signals they no longer automatically turn off like they used to. So, my question is how hard do you think it would be to get in there and replace the turn signal assembly? It's not really an issue, I just have to remember to turn them off manually now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 10:41 PM   #2
djnevoc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1266
What I Drive: 2000 4DR SE

FF Reputation: 1 djnevoc Good Standing Member
Hey dude welcome to the world of the lost focus driver... I am that guy in the focus with the turn signal on for miles and miles!!! The part is really cheap to buy but to put on you must have a ford dealer stick it on unless you are really good with pulling off a loaded airbag without it going off. This problem would have never occured if ford would have used metal for this part!!! I havent had this fixed because my warrenty calls for me to pay $100 for any problem with the car to be fixed, no matter the size of the job. I guess its good if the engine goes!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
01FocusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2449
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid Grey ZX3 S2 Edition

FF Reputation: 1 01FocusZX3 Good Standing Member
i dont think the part is too expensive from ford and it wont be that hard to replace it yourself.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:57 AM   #4
jfunk
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 3703
What I Drive: 2000 SE

FF Reputation: 3 jfunk Good Standing Member
You don't need to take off the airbag to get to the turn signal switch. Replacing the turn signal assembly is really easy. just remove the steering column upper shroud and then the
turn signal assembly will pull up after you release the locking tab on the turn signal. My turn signal doesn't stop automatically anymore easier. I went on ebay and bought another one.
But when I installed the turn signal it did the same thing. So, after closer inspection of both turn signal assemblies they seem to work. the tongue that sticks out to stop the turn signal wasn't broken off on mine so I'm guessing it has to be something wrong with the steering column.
So, you might want to check your old turn signal assembly first to see if the tongue in the back is broken off or isn't resetting the switch.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:22 AM   #5
djnevoc
Focus Enthusiast

there is a ring that goes around the steering colum its made of plastic and that is what broke
Old 05-19-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
rootbeer88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5599
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver ZX3 2.3L PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 rootbeer88 Good Standing Member
I guess this is a common problem that we should all look out for?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:31 PM   #7
djnevoc
Focus Enthusiast

yes it is. The head mechanic at my local ford dealership said its a very common place problem. I filed a complaint to try to get an investigation into this problem. It does pose a safety problem that may cause an accident. people might think your going to turn because you forget to turn off the signal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.