Novint Falcon - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Gaming Fanatics

Gaming Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest video games, cheats, strategies and consoles.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Will the Novint Falcon survive?
Wow, this thing is a total gimmick. 2 66.67%
Wow! This is the future of gaming! 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
dazada
4.0 makes it go

Fan#: 32321
What I Drive: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

FF Reputation: 9 dazada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up Novint Falcon

This thing looks really cool. I'll let the video explain it, but do you think it's going to get some game developer support with its $240 price tag?
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here's another video of a Novint developer using the prototype pistol grip attachment with Half-Life 2.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Anyone remember the Microsoft Strategic Commander? Didn't think so. It was made for stretegy games but I used it for FPS's. It was awesome, but I can't get it to work with Vista, seeing how it was made during Windows 98. (I suppose that guy is what most gamers looked like in the mid-90's. lol...SOME STILL DO...)
YouTube Video

Rock on.

Last edited by dazada; 01-02-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
If they could somehow make it work with most games without developers having to do extensive programming to make it compatable it would probably sell...however, when was the last time you played a game where your character had to feel something? Its going to have a very limitied market...in most games it would pretty much revert back to a force-feedback/"rumble" function, and you don't need to spend $240 to get that. Hell...I remember back in the late 90s Microsoft released a whole line of PC-oriented joysticks, gamepads and even a mouse that featured force feedback that for the most part flopped. Its a cool idea, but I don't see it catching on and revolutionizing gaming.

On the other hand, niche products like this tend to do very well - in limitied quantities. There's always some sucker who has to have the latest and greatest gadget and are willing to pay top dollar for them. I don't suppose anyone remembers, but back when the original Xbox came out there was a game called Steel Battalion that had a $200 pricetag, most of which covered the behemoth dual-joystick, 40-button and three pedal controller that came with the game - and only worked with the game and its expansion pack. Capcom only made a limited run of them, and it sold out in short order. So basically, a fair number of people spent about $170 on a specialty controller that only worked with two games.

The controller:

As far as the Strategic Commander...I remember when that came out, it pretty much got smacked around by the Belkin Nostromo. If you don't recall, the original was basically a tiny keyboard with two rows of five keys, a mouse wheel and an 8-position d-pad that had a software suite that allowed you to record keystrokes and macros to each of the ten keys, and also had three shift functions that would allow you to assign different keystrokes to everything. It was more practical as it could be used for more than just RTS games. I still use the second-gen Nostromo for some games that have a lot of controls...the big difference is they made it more ergonomic and included an extra row of four keys at the bottom: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2004/03/06/game_controller/
Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
dazada
4.0 makes it go

I think those Microsoft PC lines you're talking about were the Sidewinder series. I had the Sidewinder joystick which was cool, but at the time I thought I was seriously going to play FPS's with a joystick. I also remember when Steel Battalion was released (wasn't it a mech game?) with that controller. The Nostromo sounds the same as the Commander, but instead of using a D-pad, you could slide the unit around on its base and twist it for rotation. I used to play Half-Life with it. But the Nostromo is still sold today, isn't it? I recall seeing it at Best Buy.

I think the Falcon is going to be best for FPS's, simply because of the new level of challenge it will when present when you yourself will have to deal with how the gun recoils, instead of a pre-programmed recoil in the game. Also, there have been alot of people saying that the Falcon's Achilles Heel will be the amount of fatigue it will present to your arm.

Rock on.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

The Nostromo available today is considerably different from the original. Its the third (well, 2.5th) generation of the device...the original had 10 keys, mouse wheel and d-pad, the second version added four more keys (14 total) plus two thumbkeys and an overall facelift, and the most recent version added background glow to the regular keys. I too can recall playing Half-Life on the original, putting it on the market at the same time as the MS strategic commander. It was nice for CS, you could bind buy commands to buttons in shift mode...although it really shined in Tribes 2.

And yes, Steel Batalion was a mech(ish) game. It borrowed heavily from the MW series but had enough of its own content to prevent Capcom from being raped in court by FASA, Activision, Microsoft and pretty much anyone else who ever had something to do with the MW/Battletech series. Not to mention, it sold so few copies that I doubt anyone could make an adequate damages claim to make a lawsuit worthwhile.

The bottom line for this product is (like I said) a good idea, but I don't see it taking off, at least not in the gaming market. In 99% of games it'll just be force feedback for shooting a gun, etc. The whole "tactile feedback mimicking the feel of real surfaces" (which seems to be its biggest feature and really the only new technology it brings to the table) doesn't have much use in a video game. It might have potential in other fields, like remote-control of robots where tactile feedback for the operator would be beneficial, such as in arthroscopic surgery. They've pretty much designed a product that will sell to a very narrow niche, either in or out of the gaming market.

Last edited by SkaAddict; 01-03-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing MemberAlgorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
So basically, a fair number of people spent about $170 on a specialty controller that only worked with two games.

(I bought it, too..)
Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

I had no idea it was that expensive...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing MemberAlgorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
It's 170$ USD
Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
eliaslincoln
Black Mesa Racing

Fan#: 6025
What I Drive: 2010 C30 R-design & 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 eliaslincoln Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
ok, i don't think this stuff will catch on. but! i love the pistol grip idea, cause half life is amazing and i would buy it for that game.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
dazada
4.0 makes it go

Novint has partnered with Valve, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, and Eidos in support of the Falcon. I would definitely buy this for Hitman.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/898/898497p1.html

Rock on.

Bookmarks & Social Networks