Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement Instructions ? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
dislab
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52510
What I Drive: 2000 Grey Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 dislab Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement Instructions ?

My key can still turn, but it is hard to take it out and put it back, so I need to fix the problem, probably by replacing the cylinder. I have seen lots of discussions about replacing the ignition lock cylinder on Ford Focus, but strange enough I didn't find the instructions to do so. Would anyone give me a link? I have seen a link http://www.mbremerart.com/misc/Focus...20Cylinder.htm, but it is quite hard to read. Any better instructions?

Also, how much is a reasonable price for a new cylinder? What is the difference between the old style and the new style? My current one is the old style. Should I get one with new style?

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
First off, is your ignition cylinder frozen? If so there's a lot of drilling required to get it out, you basically have to drill out the pins to get the cylinder to move again which is easier said than done as the metal the cylinder is made from is designed to resist this. Or you could just order the new cylinder and get a new steering column...

If you're just looking to do this as a precaution its pretty easy, you just need to remove the bottom steering column cover, put the key in the ignition and then look at the bottom of the lock cylinder carrier, there's a small (3mm?) hole. Turn the key until you see a little peg drop down into the hole, push it with a small screwdriver (or other adequate tool) and the cylinder will slide right out. Installing the new one is pretty simple, just line the same peg up with its slot in the carrier and slide it in.

To get a new one, PM b16sir1991 with what you want and your VIN, he can configure it to match your key(s) using your VIN.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
dislab
Focus Rookie

Thanks a lot for the instructions! My key can still turn, but is getting worse and worse, so I basically leave the key there all the time. :(

What is the difference between the old style and the new style? My current one is the old style. Should I get one with new style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
First off, is your ignition cylinder frozen? If so there's a lot of drilling required to get it out, you basically have to drill out the pins to get the cylinder to move again which is easier said than done as the metal the cylinder is made from is designed to resist this. Or you could just order the new cylinder and get a new steering column...

If you're just looking to do this as a precaution its pretty easy, you just need to remove the bottom steering column cover, put the key in the ignition and then look at the bottom of the lock cylinder carrier, there's a small (3mm?) hole. Turn the key until you see a little peg drop down into the hole, push it with a small screwdriver (or other adequate tool) and the cylinder will slide right out. Installing the new one is pretty simple, just line the same peg up with its slot in the carrier and slide it in.

To get a new one, PM b16sir1991 with what you want and your VIN, he can configure it to match your key(s) using your VIN.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Well...if you actually look at the redesigned cylinder the moving part is a lot smaller. Other than that...beats me, you'd have to talk to someone at Ford. All I know is its been redesigned to not lock up.

Read more here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124917
Old 12-30-2007, 01:56 AM   #5
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
You get the cylinder kit from ford and it is a new body and cylinder that fits into your steering column. You get little bags of tumblers and springs and an instruction sheet. You can get a code to match your vin #, or measure your key and pick the correct tumblers based on that, or just trial and error the pieces. You will know when it's right, because when you put your key in the new cylinder slot, the tumblers will all pull down flush with the outside edge. Reusing your key means one key still fits every lock on the car, and you avoid all the mess of changing out a code key and needing to reprogram the car to accept a new key. I did the lock kit assembly in about 35 minutes and I really took my time. It takes around a half hour to then swap the new cylinder into the car.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
dislab
Focus Rookie

how much is it? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad327 View Post
You get the cylinder kit from ford and it is a new body and cylinder that fits into your steering column. You get little bags of tumblers and springs and an instruction sheet. You can get a code to match your vin #, or measure your key and pick the correct tumblers based on that, or just trial and error the pieces. You will know when it's right, because when you put your key in the new cylinder slot, the tumblers will all pull down flush with the outside edge. Reusing your key means one key still fits every lock on the car, and you avoid all the mess of changing out a code key and needing to reprogram the car to accept a new key. I did the lock kit assembly in about 35 minutes and I really took my time. It takes around a half hour to then swap the new cylinder into the car.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
MaroonZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The new lock is around 90 dollars shipped from Hilbish Ford, send a PM to 16sir1991, he works there and provides a nice discount to FF members. To change the lock, you remove the cover from the bottom half of the steering column. Then you put the key in and turn it to the ACC position. Then you push in this little tab under the key switch and the old lock pops out. You need to turn the steering to the right to see the tab. The new one then pops right in. Mike from Hilbish Ford (b16sir1991) will setup the new cylinder for your key if you PM or call him with your VIN #.

Another option is to call a local locksmith, tell them that you want a Strattec lock cylinder, that is the lock that works better. Do not get one made by Hup, they are the bad ones.

If you have two keys already, it is a great idea to get a spare PATS key and program it with your two keys. I think the owners manual explains how.

Do it before it locks up completely and you have to tow the car and have the lock drilled out. ($$$)
Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
FocusDog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33087
What I Drive: 2000 Green SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusDog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dislab View Post
Thanks a lot for the instructions! My key can still turn, but is getting worse and worse, so I basically leave the key there all the time. :(

What is the difference between the old style and the new style? My current one is the old style. Should I get one with new style?

YES, get the new style. The internal parts are much sturdier and the whole design is better. You'll see the difference when you set the tumblers to your key. Change it out while its still easy to do so!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
Your dealer probably does two of these a week in their shop. My baby size dealer that doesn't stock anything had the upgrade kits on the shelf. If you want to avoid screwing with the little pieces yourself, The prekeyed unit from Hilbish sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

^
Plus you pick up a non-PATS key for a keybox, etc. Or another PATS key if you want to pay for it...

Bookmarks & Social Networks