Whos installed cam gears?!? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-16-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
FocusFreak1587
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 716
What I Drive: 1995 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 FocusFreak1587 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Whos installed cam gears?!?

I think i may have installed my cam gears wrong :(. Ok you know how they have markings on them at the top like the degrees marking. Now when u put ur new cam gears on do you want to put both cam gears with the 0degrees marking pointing straight up in the air, or do you want to have them both facing each other like have the first cam facing towards you and the 2nd cam facing away from you so they are facing each other (the degree marks im talking about that is).... I put them both on facing towards the sky, and my car is running like shit im afraid to drive it cause it might mess something up i think. Please help me quick!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
AuthentiCustomz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7547
What I Drive: 03 Zx3--Matrix Edition

FF Reputation: 1 AuthentiCustomz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i just helped my buddy do his, but his is a 1.8L SOHC VW....and we def set it at zero, but i dont see why u wouldnt set BOTH timing gears to zero, you should do one, just like the other, then when they r in and good, adjust them to ur likings, which would offset them from each other
Old 05-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
It doesn't matter where you face the degree marks.

Sounds like your cam timing is off. What tools did you use to install them?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
FocusFreak1587
Focus Enthusiast

I have them installed right i know that for a fact, but im saying when i put the cam gears on what way should the tick marks be facing, should i set both of the gears tick marks facing up in the air when i put them on , or did i need to have both cam gears facing each other so the tick marks were both facing each other and set at 0 degrees.

OK ill try tp help u picture it, righ tnow i have both cam gears on with the tick marks facing up towards the sky. Do i want to have the cam gears tick marks pointing towards each other?

RIght now they look like this (^) (^), do i want to have them like this (->)(<-). And which one is for the intake and which one is for the exhaust? Is the one closest to the front of the car the exhaust and the one farthest back the intake?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
focaltech

Chief don't talk to me like a child. I know exactly wtf you mean. Like I said it doesn't matter.

If your car runs like crap after installing them that means your cam timing is off, therefore you did not install them right.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
FocusFreak1587
Focus Enthusiast

Could it just be i need to adjust them a lot? I had the engine at top dead center like i was supose to, put the cam timing tool in, changed cam gears, i did everythign like it said by the instructions. Here's what it is driving like. Its ok at take off till i get to about 3,000 rpms then the engine gets really loud and the car doesnt accelerate like it should be. Its running like it did when i had my clogged cat, like its not getting much exhaust out, it even sounds the same, but its not the cat i just put a new high flow cat on 2 months ago! So do i need to adjust my exhaust vavle like advance that and retard my intake valves a little. Can u tell me which one is the intake and which one is the exhaust, and how many tick marks should i take it?
Old 05-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
focaltech

First off you don't move it any ticks and yes your cam timing is off.

Lemme guess, you didn't use the crank pin, you just thought you could use the mark on the pulley.

Thats wrong. I always use the crank pin and I never have a poorly timed engine.

You need to get a crank pin and do it right.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
FocusFreak1587
Focus Enthusiast

Whats a crank pin focal? Should i bother even trying to adjust some of the things a little or not, could i end up really messing somethig up. I dont want to drive it cause im affraid i might really mess something up. And can u tell me which one is the intake and which one is the exhaust please if you know. If i cant fix it i guess illl have to try to get omoney to go to mcnews and ahve them tune and dyno it, i hate it when my baby isnt running good :(
Old 05-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #9
focaltech

Here is a pic of the special tools.

They come in a set, the crank pin and cam alignment bar.

On the front of your engine block there is a 10mm plug, it will be behind your cat and next to the crank position sensor.

Before you slide the cam bar into the cams, you back the crank pulley off a bit. Remove the plug in the front of the block and put in the crank pin, screw it in till it stops, then turn the crank slowly, it will stop when it hits the pin. This is a sure way to get the crank in alignment.

You can get these tool kits for around $ 20-25, I have a few extra crank pins, hit me up if you want to buy one.

www.otctools.com part # 6486
Old 05-16-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
FocusFreak1587
Focus Enthusiast

I didnt get that tool with my kit. The instructions that cam with the essliner gears didnt say anything about that ethier..... do i have to reinstall the cam gears again and do the whole proccess over, or is anywhere way around this. If i go to mcnews will they have to reinstall it? nobody ever said anything about that, and is that what is making my car run so bad, and if i continue to run it like that will it hurt something till i get it fixed

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.