The Importance of Toe-in or Toe-out - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #21
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
You should not have toe out, the recommended spec is slightly toe-in. .15 degrees, or .04 inches.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #22
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A toe and/ or camber problem would cause, more or less, even wear around the entire circumference of the tire and localized to the inside or outside tread edge. If the tire was out of balance or if the shocks were bad, the wear could get wider or more pronounced in localized areas. A bad shock causes a cupping pattern around the circumference of the tread.

That said, and I'm taking a guess here, I think your problem is with the tires themselves. You either flat spotted them by locking up the brakes (only takes once) or the internal belts are separating (not as uncommon as it sounds). Either can cause the kind of wear you described. If the tires are relatively new I'd go back to the dealer for a tire inspection. Separating belts (aka de-lamination) can be determined by a visual inspection of both the inside and outside of the tire and is a warranty issue in most cases. Anyway, it sounds like you need to have them replaced.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 AM   #23
knoxrocks222
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38601
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 3 knoxrocks222 Good Standing Member
damn this will be set # 4 i cant afford this anymore, anyone know where i can trade my sportlines for the pro kit
Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
knoxrocks222
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38601
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 3 knoxrocks222 Good Standing Member
ok i put it up on the lift and found that the flat spots are def. on the inside of the rear tires and they look really choppy, its only one spot on each tire but it looks like someone took a meat cleaver and just hacked it up, thanks for the help

knox
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #25
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52725
What I Drive: former owner:Pitch Black '03 SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 7 nacnudv8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Castor, Camber And Toe-in/out

I was getting a little unsure what all these terms meant, particularly the CASTOR - so I did some digging on the internet and cut & pasted and added some notes to these diagrams: Hope this helps other like me! Seems like a small pic - if someone tells me how I will try and get a bigger pic posted. I think if you click the thumbnail you get a larger view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camber_TOE_castor.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	14164  

Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #26
Pistonbroke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42552
What I Drive: Black 2000 ZX3 mtx

FF Reputation: 1 Pistonbroke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
At least we don't have to worry about caster on our cars as there is no adjustment. Camber can be in the ballpark but like Geezer emphazised, toe is very critical.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #27
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52725
What I Drive: former owner:Pitch Black '03 SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 7 nacnudv8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Is camber adjustable in the front and/or rear?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #28
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Not from the factory. You have to buy aftermarket parts to adjust camber.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:37 PM   #29
nicholson317
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39144
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 Arctic Silver

FF Reputation: 1 nicholson317 Good Standing Member
Just found and installed some camber plates. I'm a newb at autocross, but after some research they seemed like a good idea. I love the results..i'm set at -1.7 degrees front and -.8 rear. The handling improved signifigantly in the corners, but it is a little touchier on the highway. 3k miles later and no noticable difference in tire wear. They are basically just a steel plate that mounts to the top of your strut mount. You have to remove the mounting bolts from the upper strut plate and use the included bolts to mount the adjustable plate to the strut mount and car. Fun mod for autoxing, and pretty cheap if you DIY. Not a project for unexperienced though...compressed coil springs are no joke. Was gonna do the rear, but decided to go to the H&R coil kit first.

Zetec Crew #157
STS 317
Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #30
cheeztech
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54828
What I Drive: 2005 Graphite Black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 cheeztech Good Standing Member
I've noticed on my 05 that the drivers rear is getting a lean to it. I checked over the bearing's and they seem good there's no play to it so what should I be looking at this thread has me intriged. Iam doing upgrades as things get worn and after reading alot of everyones post ( which by the way thanks to all ) I wondering where to be looking @ for the next mod so does anyone have any suggestionsfor me. I think I posted this in the right section and please feel free to backhand me if its not. Thanks again to any help thats offered because I will try it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->