Speaker recommendations for '05 ZX3 (Yep, I'm hanging my head low here) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
QCGoose
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 122217
What I Drive: '05 White ZX3 S, '03 Blue S10 ZR2

FF Reputation: 1 QCGoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Speaker recommendations for '05 ZX3 (Yep, I'm hanging my head low here)

Yeah, I know the majority of you are rolling your eyes, sighing, and getting ready to recommend the "search" function to me. I live by "searching before asking" on all forums, but I just couldn't catch a break this time.

I searched. And read. And searched some more. And read some more. All I seemed to get out of it was a headache and likely more confusion than before I started.

When it comes to audio, I'm about as clueless as it comes to knowing anything "technical" about the subject. All I know is, I like bass and clarity that are simply "good enough". I don't know or care about highs, lows, mids, and all the other in-betweens. The sound clarity of most factory systems with a good bass hit while listening to just the radio is usually enough to satisfy me (2000's Chryslers and mid-'90's+ Pontiacs were, to me, great factory systems lol). I don't care about having a system that makes me feel like I'm at a live concert. I know that's like nails down a chalkboard to some of you, but I'm just not an audiophile.

With that out of the way, I just need to know what good, not-too-expensive speakers you'd all recommend front and rear that would sound good enough and have a pretty decent bass thump without being pushed by an amp (I don't want the room taken up in the cargo area by an amp and sub, as my rear seats are up/down multiple times a week and sometimes I'm hauling things that wouldn't take long to trash exposed audio equipment like an amp, plus I really don't wanna spend that much money on an audio upgrade).

My car had a Sony Xplode single-DIN when I got it (dunno the model without going out to look or how old, but it's got an AUX jack if that matters), but I'm assuming it has the stock speakers in it because there is absolutely NO BASS WHATSOEVER with my current setup. I swear it's the equivalent of four mono-speaker clock radios.

And that's really all I'm wanting- some decent bass. Better sound would just be a bonus that I'm obviously not against, as I feel the current clarity is fine. Can that be achieved without an amp?

If so, please recommend some reliable speakers that are also decent performers to make it worth doing. I'll most likely order from an online vendor (sorry local chain retailers, but it's hard to argue with online prices and no sales tax), and if there's one better than Crutchfield then by all means let me know that, too.

Thanks and I truly do appreciate the help and advice, not to mention patience, especially from those of you who know this stuff like it's elementary and are likely to encounter these questions every other day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
clayton89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108214
What I Drive: 2006 Sonic Blue ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 clayton89 Good Standing Member
I have used sonicelectronix.com many times in the past and is a good place to shop. Have you tried adjusting you equalizer settings on your stereo? That could help out alot. Many replacement speakers will not give you alot of thump, as they really aren't designed for the low notes. Hit up some well known brands like Kenwood, alpine, kicker etc and those should treat you fairly well as replacements.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
What's your budget?

A drop in set of Polk's or JBL's might fit your needs well.

5x7 0r 6x8 are drop in replacement sizes.

Just remember that you will only get so far on deck power alone.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
QCGoose
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 122217
What I Drive: '05 White ZX3 S, '03 Blue S10 ZR2

FF Reputation: 1 QCGoose Good Standing Member
$200 or less would be nice. I just gotta have some kind of decent bump with music and right now there is zilch.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
The biggest thing since you are only seem to be running off of deck power is the sensitivity of the speaker you are looking for. The higher sensitivity number the better.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
smallblockfever
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95004
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 0 smallblockfever Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Everything mentioned above is good. Better brand you use, better quality you get. There's a limitation on using the deck power- you eventually have to go with an amp.

My suggestions:

1) call sonicelectronix and explain your situation, they will steer you in the right direction

2)realize that with an appropriate sub box and amp location you lose next to nothing in terms of your rear cargo area. Just need some creativity and spatial thinking. There's some stellar shallow mount woofers out there that take up almost less room than the door speakers.

3) brush up on acoustics. By that I mean upgrade your door speakers as suggested, but then add some foam speaker baffles behind the speakers themselves. It reduces how much of that air pressure differential is lost and results in basically more full punchy low end.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->