TRB 04-08-01 Flywheel Issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
bfocused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63
What I Drive: I now drive a 2009 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 bfocused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TRB 04-08-01 Flywheel Issue

I received a call from Ford's Customer Relations Dept on Thursday. I recently filled out a Customer Satisfaction Survey, and decribed my (our) frustration with the noisey flywheel situation.
I told the young man who called me what the deal was, and he put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back with a TSB number that describes the problem and the fix for the problem. I plan to go to my Ford Dealer today and read this TSB for myself. The numer is TSB 04-08-01. I will post what I find here.
bfocused

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
yimmy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5601
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow SVT

FF Reputation: 1 yimmy Good Standing Member
I should be getting my car back today that was in on this very same TSB. i've been driving a rental neon for the last 3 days...

I'll post an update when I get it back of what they did to fix it.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I was just reading about this on another forum.

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES - #17507
2002-2004 SVT FOCUS - CLUNKING OR RATTLING NOISE IN THE TRANSMISSION
Some 2002-2004 SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit a clunking or rattling noise in the transmission, mainly at idle in neutral. The noise can typically be reduced by slight depressing the clutch pedal. Engineering is invesigating via the quicker service fix (QSF) process. Continue with normal diagnosis and repair until a new procedure and/or parts become available. Continue to monitor oasis for updated information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-8-1 NOISE - TRANSAXLE - NOISE AT IDLE WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED
TRANSAXLE - NOISE AT IDLE WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED

Publication Date: April 13, 2004

FORD: 2002-2004 FOCUS

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit a clunking or rattling noise in the transaxle, mainly at idle in neutral. The noise can typically be reduced by slightly depressing the clutch pedal.

ACTION:
The noise may be caused by a dual mass flywheel issue, worn splines on the clutch disk, or by a transaxle misalignment issue. To service, refer to the following Service Procedure.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 05-14-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Well, what's the "following Service Procedure????"

I noticed a few weeks ago that, sadly, my Focus is now making the dreaded "marbles in can" sound at idle too. I'm still under warranty until spring of next year, let's hope they find a real solution to this problem soon!

bfocused, since you have dealer experience: this *is* something that should be considered a warranty repair, right? If the dealer gives me a line about it being something that doesn't fall under the warranty coverage, what do I say?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
yimmy
Focus Rookie

Thumbs up Interesting news, I hope it's the truth

Got off the phone with the dealer just now, and my car has been delayed... flywheel isn't available yet. Parts will be in by the end of next week.

it's apparently THE NEW FLYWHEEL... the redesigned part designed to solve our problems...

has anyone else heard about these being released? Anyone have one yet?

i'm frustrated about the timing, but kinda excited about the new part being done.

and they've "upgraded" my rental. I have a business trip this weekend (several hundred miles) they got me out of the neon into a PT Cruiser. we'll see if it's any nicer riding than the neon. neon was ok, but it has disgusting stains all over the back seats, reeked of smoke, etc...

anyway, thats the news...
Old 05-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Re: Interesting news, I hope it's the truth

Quote:
Originally posted by yimmy
it's apparently THE NEW FLYWHEEL... the redesigned part designed to solve our problems...
I hope so. The redesigned flywheel is starting to seem more and more like a wishful dream on the part of SVT owners.

Sorry about the Neon. But remember that the PT Cruiser is based on the Neon so it won't be that different, just maybe not as ugly depending on your tastes. Actually, why do you get Chrysler rentals from a Ford dealer?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
yimmy
Focus Rookie

The thrifty rental place is in the ford parking lot... that's "just what they have"...

i am really hoping it's just clean...
Old 05-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
yimmy
Focus Rookie

Re: Re: Interesting news, I hope it's the truth

Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Sorry about the Neon. But remember that the PT Cruiser is based on the Neon so it won't be that different, just maybe not as ugly depending on your tastes.
the PT isn't too bad in comparison. the interior is nicer, seats are more comfortable, and the ride is nicer. it's not a performance vehicle, or luxury by any standard, but it's better than the neon hands down...

had to get into my car while I was swapping rental cars. Garage door opener, etc... it hurt to see it on the rack, it's guts puked out all over the floor...

Old 05-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Well, what's the "following Service Procedure????"

Haha I'm sorry, here you go.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

[Check transaxle fluid level. If low, fill to correct level and retest for noise. If noise is still present proceed to Step 2.
Remove the transaxle. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-03C; Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285; Removal.
Inspect the transaxle slave cylinder assembly.
Inspect for leaks.
Inspect the clutch slave cylinder and bearing as follows:
Rotate the outer race while applying pressure. Inspect for roughness.
Inspect for any surface scoring or burrs that may impede the sliding motion of the clutch release hub and bearing. Any scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper.
Replace the slave cylinder as necessary. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-02B: Clutch Controls - MT285/MTX75 Transaxle; Clutch Slave Cylinder.
Inspect the transaxle input shaft.
Inspect input shaft for damage, spline wear, burrs or rough surfaces. Any scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper.
Replace transaxle as necessary.
Remove the clutch pressure plate and clutch disk. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-01C; Clutch - MT285 Transaxle; Removal and Installation; Clutch Disk and Pressure Plate.
NOTE: REPLACE THE CLUTCH DISK DUE TO POSSIBLE HUB SPLINE WEAR OR FRICTION MATERIAL WEAR.

Inspect the clutch pressure plate.
Check the clutch pressure plate surface for scoring, cracks or discoloration. Minor scratches or discoloration should be removed with a fine emery cloth.
Check the diaphragm spring fingers for discoloration, scoring, bent or broken segments and spring ends that are higher or lower than the rest.
Replace the pressure plate as required.
Inspect the dual mass flywheel surface with flywheel installed on engine for scoring, cracks or discoloration.
Inspect the dual mass flywheel with flywheel installed on engine for proper internal spring operation as follows:
Install flywheel holding tool 303-103 (T74P-6375-A).
Using a long screwdriver or bar firmly rotate the secondary mass clockwise. The secondary mass should begin to engage the internal spring past the free play movement of 19 mm maximum (.750"). The secondary mass should continue to rotate and engage the internal spring with increasing spring pressure (Figure 1). If the secondary mass does not rotate, replace the dual mass flywheel.

Figure 1 - Article 04-8-1

Using a long screwdriver or bar firmly rotate the secondary mass counter clockwise. The secondary mass should begin to engage the internal spring past the free play movement of 19 mm maximum (.750"). The secondary mass should continue to rotate and engage the internal spring with increasing spring pressure (Figure 2). If the secondary mass does not rotate, replace the dual mass flywheel.

Figure 2 - Article 04-8-1

Using a long screwdriver or bar rotate the flywheel back and forth until the friction control plate is centered between the secondary mass notches (Figure 3). Inspect the plate for damage or melting. If damaged, replace the dual mass flywheel.

Figure 3 - Article 04-8-1

Inspect the dual mass flywheel with flywheel installed on engine for proper secondary mass rotational free play as follows:
Verify that the friction control plate is centered between the secondary mass notches. The rotational freeplay check can not be performed if the plate is off center or damaged (Figure 3).
Place a reference mark on the secondary mass of the flywheel (Figure 4).

Figure 4 - Article 04-8-1

Rotate the secondary mass of the flywheel clockwise using light hand pressure until it stops. Use only sufficient force to take up the freeplay in the secondary mass.
Place a reference mark on the primary mass of the flywheel aligned with the mark on the secondary mass (Figure 5).

Figure 5 - Article 04-8-1

Rotate the secondary mass of the flywheel counter clockwise using light hand pressure until it stops. Use only sufficient force to take up the freeplay in the secondary mass.
Place a second reference mark on the primary mass of the flywheel aligned with the mark on the secondary mass (Figure 6).

Figure 6 - Article 04-8-1

Measure the distance between the two marks on the primary mass of the flywheel. The rotational free play spec is 19 mm maximum (.750") (Figure 7).

Figure 7 - Article 04-8-1

Inspect the dual mass flywheel on a bench.
Remove the dual mass flywheel.
Place the dual mass flywheel on a flat level surface. Blocks may have to be placed under the flywheel to prevent movement.
Inspect the dual mass flywheel for hub bushing wear as follows:
Place a dial indicator onto the secondary mass of the flywheel.
Using light hand pressure press downward onto the opposite side of the secondary mass until it stops. Use only sufficient force to take up the freeplay in the secondary mass. The secondary mass should not move more than 1.5 mm (.060") vertically (Figure 8).
Repeat Substep 10-c-2 in three places around the flywheel.

Figure 8 - Article 04-8-1

NOTE: AXIAL MOVEMENT OF THE SECONDARY MASS IS NORMAL AND THE FLYWHEEL SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED BASED ON THIS MOVEMENT (FIGURE 9).

Figure 9 - Article 04-8-1

Replace the dual mass flywheel as required.
Inspect the rear face of the engine block.
Ensure that the two required engine dowel pins are installed and are not damaged. If the dowel pins are missing or damaged replace as required.
Inspect the corresponding dowel pinholes on the transmission. Ensure the holes are not elongated or damaged.
Inspect the upper and lower plates for damage or warping. Replace as needed.
Inspect the crankshaft flange and flywheel, for residual thread locking compound or rust. Clean as necessary (Figure 10).

Figure 10 - Article 04-8-1

Install dual mass flywheel.
NOTE: INSTALL NEW FLYWHEEL RETAINING BOLTS.

Tighten the bolts in sequence, to 112 N-m (83 lb-ft) ( Figure 11).

Figure 11 - Article 04-8-1

Install the pressure plate and disc. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-01C; Clutch - MT285 Transaxle; Removal and Installation; Clutch Disk and Pressure Plate.
NOTE: TIGHTEN THE PRESSURE PLATE BOLTS TWO TURNS AT A TIME IN SEQUENCE TO 29 N-m (21 LB-FT). REFER TO (FIGURE 12).

Figure 12 - Article 04-8-1

NOTE: ENSURE THE DISC IS PROPERLY INSTALLED WITH "TRANS SIDE" LABEL FACING THE PRESSURE PLATE.

NOTE: INSTALL NEW CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE RETAINING BOLTS.

Install transmission. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-03C; Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285; Installation.
NOTE: THE TRANSMISSION BOLTS HAVE FOUR UNIQUE LENGTHS AND WILL ALL FIT INTO ANY OF THE THROUGH HOLES OF THE TRANSMISSION TO ENGINE BLOCK. IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE PROPER LENGTH BOLT IS INSTALLED INTO ITS PROPER MATING HOLE (FIGURE 13).

Figure 13 - Article 04-8-1

NOTE: TORQUE THE TRANSMISSION BOLTS IN SEQUENCE TO 48 N-m (35 LB-FT) TO ENSURE PROPER TRANSAXLE TO ENGINE BLOCK ALIGNMENT (FIGURE 14).

Figure 14 - Article 04-8-1

PART NUMBER PART NAME
2M5Z-7002-BD Transaxle
2M5Z-7A564-AA Slave cylinder
2M5Z-7550-AA Clutch Disk
2M5Z-7563-AA Pressure Plate
2M5Z-6375-AA Flywheel
W702426-S303 Bolt - Pressure Plate
W701350-S309 Dowel Pins
F5RZ-6379-A Bolt - Flywheel

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 05-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #10
CD03SVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2011
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 CD03SVT Good Standing Member
i just got my car back friday because of the clutch, i gave them the 04-8-1 tsb and got my new tranny and clutch put in, they noticed a leak in my intake and the wheel hub was mested up. i never noticed the wheel hub, but i do now! its making all kinds of noise i don't know if they fixed it or broke it. the intake manifold gasket is on a nation wide back order, so they haven't fixed it yet. i love the car but hate the problems i have.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.