How to reset ecu & airbag light question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
moxie (sf)
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 45948
What I Drive: 2003 Charcoal Gray zx3

FF Reputation: 1 moxie (sf) Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to reset ecu & airbag light question

Hey guys,
Question for you alls.

I have a 2003 focus zx3 with an airbag light that is flashing when I turn on the car, some variant of 13, and then it stays on. Took it to the dealership, they said it was the seatbelt buckle? So I paid the $200 for diagnosis and the $150 for a new belt buckle and decided I could replace it myself. Took all of ten minutes.

Problem is, the light is still on, I unplugged the car for 10 min to reset the ecu, and that didn't seem to work. Is there something else I need to do to clear the codes from the ecu? Or can that only be cleared from Ford?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
egman2005
Slow n lifted

Fan#: 44983
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 21 egman2005 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
you didnt unplug it long enough. it needs to be unpluged for at least 15 minutes

most people unplug it for at least a half hour
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Focus_Red_SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 51295
What I Drive: 2003 Super Red SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Focus_Red_SVT Good Standing Member
Alright well the thing is that airbags are a constatntly monitered system so there being clearing the code would do nothing since right as it detects a fault it trips the light and goes away as the fault is not present anymore. its not like an ecu that stores the code. i would say that the fix you did on it didnt work. second thing is you dont have to disconnect the battery just pull the efi fuse this way you dont throw off all peramiters but can still clear codes.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
moxie (sf)
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Red_SVT View Post
Alright well the thing is that airbags are a constatntly monitered system so there being clearing the code would do nothing since right as it detects a fault it trips the light and goes away as the fault is not present anymore. its not like an ecu that stores the code. i would say that the fix you did on it didnt work. second thing is you dont have to disconnect the battery just pull the efi fuse this way you dont throw off all peramiters but can still clear codes.
cool, thanks. I didn't know that. I guess it's back to the dealership, because the light is still blinking. I just hope they don't charge me again. Anybody know of a guide on how to read the lights?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Focus_Red_SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

How to pull codes or how to diagnose them or what? and i work for a dealership so i know this well enough... go in and raise hell about it and dont let them charge you. if you give in and pay then you will... also go to checkers or autozone or something like that and tey pull codes for free. i just did this this morning... air bag should not cause the check engine light to come on but when you check with a scanner it'll give you a code then simply look it up online it beats the fee from a dealership. it'll come up as a b code for body but you can find out what it is for free that way.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
moxie (sf)
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Red_SVT View Post
How to pull codes or how to diagnose them or what? and i work for a dealership so i know this well enough... go in and raise hell about it and dont let them charge you. if you give in and pay then you will... also go to checkers or autozone or something like that and tey pull codes for free. i just did this this morning... air bag should not cause the check engine light to come on but when you check with a scanner it'll give you a code then simply look it up online it beats the fee from a dealership. it'll come up as a b code for body but you can find out what it is for free that way.
I am assuming that the airbag lights that are blinking actually translate into something, but I can't find any info on what they mean. It's not the check engine light, it's the actual airbag light. It's blinks something like 3-3-1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3 or something to that effect and then it stays on. I figured that would tell me what's wrong with the system and I could have avoided paying the $200 diagnosis fee.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
The belt-minder system and airbag monitoring system are on the same circuit. It is possible that the fuse is blown. Check that first.

Once that fuse is determined good, take it back to that dealer with your receipt and tell them they didnt clear the code when they were finished diagnosing because the light is still on. They should do it for free then.

If they dont buy it, then youre gonna have to pay 75 bucks to get it diagnosed and cleared...

Pretty soon you might as well have bought an xcal2...

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Focus_Red_SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinipo View Post
The belt-minder system and airbag monitoring system are on the same circuit. It is possible that the fuse is blown. Check that first.

Once that fuse is determined good, take it back to that dealer with your receipt and tell them they didnt clear the code when they were finished diagnosing because the light is still on. They should do it for free then.

If they dont buy it, then youre gonna have to pay 75 bucks to get it diagnosed and cleared...

Pretty soon you might as well have bought an xcal2...
Well its not that they didnt clear the code it is simply that the problem still exhists. the air bags are constantly monitored so the light will only be on if the system detects a problem so you cant say its their fault you can only suggest that you fixed what they had told you to replace and it didnt fix it so their technicians are a joke... i would do like i said before go have it pulled at an auto parts place and find info online.. it avoids that whole situation and being airbags, the code basically diagnoses its self.

i dont think the blinking sequence at the initial turn of the key has anything to do with giving you a code discription. they wouldnt make it that simple or they would have people trying to fix airbags themselves which is not the best thing to do... They hurt.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Sounds like you know what to do then.

Did you check that fuse yet?

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Focus_Red_SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

No im not the one with the issue im just stating so he doesnt make it hard on himself... i have issues myself its the thread p0125 problem a few threads down

Bookmarks & Social Networks