SVT Front Camber Issue, Stock Suspension... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #11
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33656
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Sounds like you bought the car used so some things come to mind. 1) Are you sure it has stock springs on it? Did the previous owner possible lower it. 2) The accident could be one cause but it had to be a pretty good one. That amount of negative camber can not be achieved within the range of allowable stock adjustments. You're lucky if you can get a quarter to half a degree (if that) at most alignments. It's unlikely taller springs will do much. It would take a considerable increase to negate (reduce) that kind of camber. I see if someone has a set of SVT front springs laying around and give them a try (borrow) before you spend serious money on other springs and have them not work.
1) Not 100% sure it has the stock springs, but the rear end is about 3/8 of an inch lower than a ZX3 with a factory suspension with about 5,000 more miles. I thought that was pretty close to the factory height of the SVT. With that said, is it possible that the previous owner lowered the front and not the back? Either way, if the suspension is not factory an Eibach setup would have the car sitting .75 inches lower in the front than factory, and about 1 inch lower in the rear than factory. So I guess I'm hoping the ProKit will level the car out (raise the front, lower the rear). I was actually thinking about purchasing a set of KYB AGX struts/shocks last spring, so this problem would actually give me a reason to get them with the ProKit.

2) I don't see any repairs to the frame upfront. The only thing I noticed about the front end is an R DOT driverside headlamp and R DOT front bumper (probably a fender bender, nothing major) I have had the fenders off the front end and once again, no repairs to the factory welds/frame horns. As far as suspension parts, my controls arms are straight, and the bushings are solid. I'm running out of ideas of what to do.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
might be a bent control arm
Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
^^agreed

sloppy ball joints will also cause this. new LCAs come with balljoints.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #14
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreyzx3 View Post
might be a bent control arm
I doubt its a bent control arm. First, both would have to be bent and by the same amount sense camber is pretty even side to side. Secondly, most bent control are bent laterally rather than vertically. A lateral bend screws up toe pretty significantly. To affect camber and not toe (toe is almost zero on both sides) the arm would have to be bent vertically (like dropping the car from significant distance and landing on its wheels...naturally this would break a lot of other stuff as well) which would shorten it and thus cause numbers towards positive camber rather than negative.

And for what its worth caster can affect camber a little as well. Do you have your caster numbers.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
Springbuck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23301
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT 5DR

FF Reputation: 1 Springbuck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have this same problem. The wear seems to be on the outside of the tire rather than on the tire thread itself. The corner looks like it gets grinded away. I also have a SVT. Mine is stock. No suspension work done. I have had 4 alignments done with no success. It almost seems if you look at the tire that what happens is that when you turn the tire "flops" over instead of staying vertical. I have some pics I will dig up. The tread is worn evenly across the tire, but on both front wheels the inside corner is worn away so much it actually makes a triangle with the contact patch.

If you jack the front end up and "wiggle" the wheel there is no "play" in the wheel. it is real solid.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.