rattle sound coming from passenger front wheel - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
bdonaldson404
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51764
What I Drive: 2001 cd silver lx

FF Reputation: 1 bdonaldson404 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
rattle sound coming from passenger front wheel

Hello,

I'm new here but have had my focus for a little over a year. I've had a few minor issues with it such as brakes and such but I expected that as I had bought the car used. It is a 2001 LX sedan and now has 61,000 miles on it. Anyways, for the last couple months I have been hearing a rattle coming from the front end on the passenger side. It happens when it is cold first thing in the morning. It will make the rattle when I turn right and then for a little bit as I drive straight. It will go away as the car warms up. Also when it makes this rattle it will vibrate when I make sharp right turns. Once it is warm, it won't vibrate. I finally took the car in for this noise and the mechanic told me that the right front hub bearing was bad and needed to be replaced. I had them replace it and $317 later it still makes the noise! I took the car back to the shop telling them that it makes the noise still, and they claim that it didn't on their test drive and they checked everything underneath the car and it was ok. I don't buy this and can't afford to be replacing everything piece by piece. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and how expensive the repair might be. I am not mechanically savy, and will have to take it to another shop, but I don't want to be swindled again. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. PS the frst shop also checked the CV joint supossedly because this is what I thought it might be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
guillaume_0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57853
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 guillaume_0 Good Standing Member
Yep rattle near front passenger wheel

I have the exact same problem : rattle around 3000 rpm when cold and specially when turning right. I went to two different ford dealerships. They cannot find what it is. A bearing was replaced but that was not it. It's not the heat shield, and nothing else seems loose. Their advice : keep driving it until it gets worse. So much for a professional advice.
Did you ever find out what it was?

Guillaume.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
7flowers4u
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58016
What I Drive: 01 Focus wagon...green..ZTEC DOHC

FF Reputation: 1 7flowers4u Good Standing Member
It was a tie~rod that needed replacing on mine.
Same year, and around the same mileage when the issue started:)
Hope that helps!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
domesplit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19448
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5 and 2003 SVT ZX5

Points 984, Level 16
Points: 984, Level: 16 Points: 984, Level: 16 Points: 984, Level: 16
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 domesplit Good Standing Member
did the tie rod idea work?

I have the exact problem as explained above. When my car is cold and when I turn right I hear a sound coming from the right wheel. After driving a while the sound goes away.

Did the other 2 guys try the tie rod idea?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
broham71
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6426
What I Drive: 03 PB 2.3 ZX3, 09 PW Mini JCW

FF Reputation: 8 broham71 Good Standing Member
I had a similar issue and replaced the front endlinks... problem solved.
I would hear a clicking sound when I would turn either way. I thought it was something serious. I guess I got lucky.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW! What a Ride!" SoCal Crew#3/Team Dtec#186
Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
robin muir
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 24782
What I Drive: 2002 dk grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 robin muir Good Standing Member
Same problem, I hear a kinda humming sound when I start the car cold,drive the car and when turning right sounds awful . After about 15 mins on the freeway everything is normal. I had snapped off a lug nut on the right side, thought maybe there was vibration from that side. Bought a stud on Sunday to replace ,but when taking the wheel of broke another one. Gave up and drove the car to the dealer to have them replace all four studs . $ 300 dollars later the problem still exits.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.