excessive noise from rear tires - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-31-2004, 06:05 AM   #1
wshannon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8495
What I Drive: 2000 kona ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 wshannon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
excessive noise from rear tires

Hi all, I am a newbie to all this and I hope you can help me out. Two weeks ago I installed new tires, had them balanced and aligned. Now I cannot hear the anything inside the car when driving except the tires. Any suggestions on what is causing the noise and how to fix it. I brought the car back to the dealer who installed them to recheck the alignment and they said that it was all okay.

Thanks in advance

Shannon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
02focusfreak02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5219
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 02focusfreak02 Good Standing Member
The only thing that I can think of is there is either a busted belt in the tire or it is not balanced properly. Other than that, the only thing that contributes to road noise is the tread pattern of the tire. I have 17" Nitto Neogens on mine and they are fine. If you can't fix it, turn up the radio.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
yankkesrule
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 6288
FF Reputation: 1 yankkesrule Good Standing Member
are they directional? if so make sure there goin the right way. also how much did they cost you? some tires might sacrifice noise for more grip.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
wshannon
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the responses I just had them balanced, so hopefully I can rule that out. Busted belt, I don't think so since it is happening to both tires. The tires are directional but they are installed properly. It seems that the tires are scalped but I am not sure what is doing it. I believe I read somewhere that the rear suspension on the focus may need widges or shims to make sure the tire is flat on the road, does anyone know about that? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
yankkesrule
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 6288
FF Reputation: 1 yankkesrule Good Standing Member
if the tires are scalloped (assuming thats what you meant) then it is most likely your shocks/struts (whatever is in the rear of a focus. id check those. get on your rear bumber and make the car bounce up and down then get off fast. the car should stop bouncing very fast, about 2 bounces or so. if it keeps on bouncing u need new shocks. also, look at them, are they leaking fluid?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
if you have cupping...what yankkesrule (nice spelling goes to show why Boston fans are better ;)) is talking about, then you could have one of several problems. You could have a problem with your shocks, how many miles on your car? Another problem is the rear toe, there is a TSB with new specs for rear toe. Is there any cupping on the tire? Inside? Outside? The other problem that is fairly common is rear tire inner edge wear...this occurs because the focus does not have adjustable camber for the rear alignment from the factory. It is controlled ultimately by the rear upper control arms. There is also a TSB for this, but requires that the rear camber be less than -2.3, if it is, they will install a revised rear upper control arm, that is +1.0 making your rear camber better than it was. Further camber adjustments can be made by purchasing a rear camber bolt from some of the aftermarket dealers. I had the camber problem, and was getting excessive cupping on the rear tires, as well as the massive tire noise you are describing. I just had it fixed and the difference is incredible.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
wshannon
Focus Rookie

Thanks, I will talk to the service rep and pass on what you suggested. I am no expert but it sounds like the camber adjustment is what is happening since I have gone through three sets of tires in the past year and a half. Thanks again!

Bookmarks & Social Networks