Aiming SVT HID headlights? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Alright!!!

Got the headlights aimed!!! MUCH better...man, they were stupidly low. Check it out (and this is sitting still...imagine if I was driving down the freeway with the wind pushing the front end down...)

Left side is how they were, right side is where I put them...

Thanks for the pointers!!!

Oh and scrammer, I think it was you who said "be careful, a little goes a LONG way..." Haha well let me tell you, I bet I did about 5 full turns on the knobs--that's how low they were.

NOW...before I have even looked...

how do you aim the fog lights?

And/or where are they technically supposed to be pointing? Right now they are almost directly at the ground right in front of the car. When I'm driving at 60, let's say, I literally can't even tell if they're actually on or not. The fogs on my ZTS were great...they even lit up the sides of the road better, but these...well they don't haha.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
with the HID's its hard to see the fogs unless you have yellows.

Park the vehicle 25 feet from a wall on a level surface. Measure the distance between the center of the fog light and the ground. Place a horizontal mark on the wall at that height.
Visual aim is made with the top of the fog light beam 4 inches below the lamp center at 25 feet with the lamp facing straight forward.

for some, this is hard to do cuz they cant find a flat surface that is 25 ft from a wall. the point is to minimize the amount of glare that returns to the driver's eyes, and the other is to minimize glare into oncoming driver's eyes. finding a happy medium isnt hard, just do your best to meet the guidlines i listed.

to aim them you must turn the dial that is on the back of the foglight housing. it looks like a brass bolt. it only has vertical adjustment. im sure clockwise is to go up. you may want to find a socket to do this. make sure not to go too far either way. you may break it if you do so.

hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
scrammer
Banned

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
note: while traveling on the interstate at night, if you notice that your light cutoff line is above the bottom of their side mirror, your too high.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
note: while traveling on the interstate at night, if you notice that your light cutoff line is above the bottom of their side mirror, your too high.
Yeah thanks, I was watching to make sure it wasn't hitting anyone in the face as I was driving around on back roads, and it didn't seem to be. I might yet adjust them more but I think I tweaked them just about perfectly. I basically made them aiming at the road, just probably 50' further out than they were.

Now I can see at night!!! No more being scared of hitting deer in the car or not knowing when the hell my turn is coming up!!! lol...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #15
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Actually I have another question, and won't start a new thread:

How do you go about changing the parking light bulb--the one on the side of the bumper?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #16
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
To properly aim them, park the car 25' away from a garage door, wall or other vertical surface with level ground in front of it, and mark off a line 2" lower than the center of the headlight (just above my knee on my ZX3 w/SVT suspension.) You need to put the high side of the ___/ŻŻŻ cutoff on this line. Any higher and you're in danger of blinding oncoming traffic...you should never just eyeball it.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #17
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

You know I guess I don't understand exactly what you're saying. How do I know if the line is 2" lower than the center of the headlight? Maybe I'm retarded but that just doesn't make sense to me...

Also I'm about to go try to change the bulb on the side parking light on the bumper, I'll just see if I can't figure that out...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #18
scrammer
Banned

the side bumper lights are just like the normal Foci. crawl underneath there and undo the harness from the housing.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #19
scrammer
Banned

take a measurement from the ground to the center of the projector. take 2" from this measurement. mark this height on the wall. take electrical tape and make a long reference mark approx 15ft wide. this is where you can reference your beam at. does this make more sense? skaddict is on the right track. he gave the textbook version.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #20
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Wow. That was insanely easy. Thanks though haha.

Oh yeah and that does make sense now. Ha...I'm just an idiot sometimes haha. Thanks guys. I'll have to do that sometime when I can find a flat surface with a wall 25' away...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->