2001 ford focus leaking radiator fluid - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
urbndk
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 9419
What I Drive: 2001 ford focus midnight blue.

FF Reputation: 1 urbndk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2001 ford focus leaking radiator fluid

I have a 2001 focus SE with the ZETC engine.

Yestarday after a trip back from MPLS I noticed a puddle under my car to the right of the engine (directly right, almost under it, almost to the left of the driver side front tire).

I started the car up and sure enough; radiator fluid is dripping down the right side of the engine.

I havn't jacked up the car yet (waiting for my room mate to show up) but I'm trying to see if I can find the problem (and solution) to fixing this issue and figured I would ask the experts .

I have 2 photos that are not very good quality; but to mainly just show the problem areas.

This first image is under the car; it just shows that the fluid is running nearly on the right side (if your facing the engine) the entire time.

The second photo is from the top. The two sections I have marked I can see moisture from the fluid.

I checked the tubes and none of them seem to be leaking, the only spot that I _seemed_ to be leaking was the box to the right of the engine (connected to the engine) to the left of the circles in the 2nd photo.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start, what to look for or ideas on how to figure out exactly where the leak might be at? Or any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance folks!

-Eric.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
three_X_Z
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 883
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

Points 819, Level 15
Points: 819, Level: 15 Points: 819, Level: 15 Points: 819, Level: 15
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 three_X_Z Good Standing Member
Thermostat housing. Its pretty common. Its that plastic box looking thing that your upper radiator hose goes into. I think some people try just replaceing the seal without much luck so most people replace the whole housing and the install is pretty painless.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
urbndk
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks three x z. I had seen many people posting this problem but I wasn't sure where the thermostat house was located.

I will check this out again and do some testing.

Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
urbndk
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah I just shoved a bunch of paper towels under what I think is the thermostat housing and sure enough they were soaked with fluid.

Just to make sure, the houses is the box directly to the left of the circled sections in the second photo right?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
hosmerunited
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 41415
FF Reputation: 5 hosmerunited Good Standing Member
i was able to replace the gasket on car. one thing though is to have the gasket seted properly when you put it back together. been 8 months since and not a problem. i had to get the gasket from ford none of my local parts stores didnot carry this item. believe it was something like $13cdn.
mike

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.