2008 Focus, vs 2009-2010+ - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
metroplex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39515
What I Drive: 07 GT

FF Reputation: 1 metroplex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2008 Focus, vs 2009-2010+

About a year ago I was asking about advice/input on buying a 2007 Focus ST vs a 2007 Mustang GT. Here I am now, with a 07 GT in the stable but I am looking to replace my winter car (00 Crown Vic) with either a 2008 Focus SES Coupe or something else. The something else depends on if Ford has anything new planned for the 2009-2010+ Focus. Does anyone have any info on possible new changes, or hear of any solid "rumors"? I recall that Ford is going to release the 2010 US Focus on the Mk 3 chassis along with the UK Focus. If that is definitely true, I can wait 2 years to buy a Mk 3 US Focus as long as there is a high-end performance trim.

Otherwise, the 2008 SES Coupe looks very tempting. Has anyone purchased one and care to comment on its quality and features? How is the engine and transmission (5 speed manual)? I plan to use it for the winter in SE Michigan so I am hoping the stock tires are good for 3"-6" of snow. I do not want to handle the logistics of having snow tires and summer tires. I run snow tires on the Crown Vic, and they're really good in the snow - but we only get maybe 3 days of heavy snow out of the entire season. The majority of the time we face road salt, rain, and ice.

The first mods I'd look at would be a cold air intake and a cat-back exhaust kit. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for?

The second set of mods would be HID's. Do they have retrofit HID kits for the 08s? If not, I can just slap in some re-based HID bulbs and ballasts.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Why not get a Fusion with AWD...i say that would be a decent finter car. Personally, I dont think the new 08 is that great. Also I think they are too expensive, they have raised the price quit a bit, a SES coupe cost the same if not over that the ST focus was. Unless you wanna try to find a used SVT I say try to find a ST focus and get that instead. You'll be spending less money and you'll have a better performer.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
yea go with a 06 07 st over the 08 its over priced and the st has just as many features witha nice engine and good ammount of power, and the stock tires are good for up top 12 inches lol(check my location) my 7 had no issues, bt id wait cuz in 2010 they are gonna do a global platform with the focus
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Why not get a Fusion with AWD...i say that would be a decent finter (winter?) car.
Not really, the Fusion's AWD is almost next to useless. It uses a Haldex system that basically operates as FWD until they slip and then it biases power to the rear to compensate. So unless you're in really bad conditions its not going to do much for you, and will add weight to the car (worse fuel economy) and however much to the loan.

It is only rumored at this point that Ford is bringing the MkIII Focus over in 2010...there's been a lot of talk about Ford switching to a unified global platform on pretty much all models to cut costs, but I'll believe it when I see it. Ford could easily pull a "we think the reskinned Focus is selling just fine at this point and there is no need to discontinue it" manuver when 2010 rolls around. Regardless, I wouldn't hold out for a true performance model here in the 'states.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
back in black
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25399
What I Drive: Black 07 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 back in black Good Standing Member
they just did a huge re-design for '08, no way they are changing anything major for '09 or '10, unless they do go to global platforms (big if)
Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
Not really, the Fusion's AWD is almost next to useless. It uses a Haldex system that basically operates as FWD until they slip and then it biases power to the rear to compensate. So unless you're in really bad conditions its not going to do much for you, and will add weight to the car (worse fuel economy) and however much to the loan.

It is only rumored at this point that Ford is bringing the MkIII Focus over in 2010...there's been a lot of talk about Ford switching to a unified global platform on pretty much all models to cut costs, but I'll believe it when I see it. Ford could easily pull a "we think the reskinned Focus is selling just fine at this point and there is no need to discontinue it" manuver when 2010 rolls around. Regardless, I wouldn't hold out for a true performance model here in the 'states.
Well maybe not, dont forget that mindset was under the old managment at Ford...the new one has very different plans and ideas.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i dont know if it is the new global focus or not but wayne assembly plant..who builds the focus now is slatted for a new car in 2010...so i dont really see them moving all the tooling to keep producing the 08 body focus to another plant so either its going to be a new model focus or no focus.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
I really don't agree with this. I had a 2001 Escape which used the same system and it did very good in the New England winters.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Old 11-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
blackheart4355
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28289
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE copper

FF Reputation: 1 blackheart4355 Good Standing Member
Ok,

First off, why do you care if the car is modable or not, your using it as a winter get to work car...save your money to fix up your 'Stang. Second the factory Pirrelli P6's suck in snow. Check where I'm from...they don't call it Winterpig for nothing. Get yourself a set of Blizzacks and you'll be set. Also the car is very light so you want all the help with traction you can get. Put them on the stock rims and your good to go. When spring comes you park the focus, drive the 'Stang so no changing of tires. Now if your plan is to use the Focus as a daily driver and only drive the Stang to shows and for special occassions, then you will want two sets of tires for it.

As for the engine and 5 speed they are the same as the 05-07 2.0L Duratec's except the motor has been massaged to get 4 more HP and a bit better fuel economy. As it is considered a new model...HID's are out of the question..the 05-07 JUST got them aftermarket..so wait your turn...LoL!

The only thing I've heard rumour of is MAYBE in 09 the hatch coming back, but I doubt it...
Blazing Copper Crew #001
Team Duratec #73
Team Canada #1
Last of the Hatches #58
Old 11-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
metroplex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39515
What I Drive: 07 GT

FF Reputation: 1 metroplex Good Standing Member
Wow, I appreciate all of the good feedback and suggestions!!

The AWD Fusion isn't available with a manual transmission. I was thinking about a Mazdaspeed6 instead (274 hp turbocharged DSI 2.3, AWD) but it's $30k! I don't plan to put any mods into the Mustang because it's fast enough for a spring/summer daily driver. If it snows really bad, I plan to just stay home. Even with snow tires, I can't do much for the ice and other drivers.

The 07 ST lacked a nice refined interior, and the 08 adds Vista Blue as a new exterior color (same Vista Blue as my 07 GT!) along with a power moonroof option, Homelink mirror, and the new 2-door coupe. You're right about the performance. I liked the Street Appearance Package and the 156 hp 2.3L from the 07 ST, but it's probably too late now. There are no more STs in the lots (there weren't many/any during the model year) and if there any remaining, they may no't have the options I want.

I read that the current Focus is still a bastardized Mk 1/Mk 1.5 chassis, while the Mazda3 uses the Mk 2 chassis. The only qualm I have about the Mazda3 is that it comes with funky 17" tires that cost nearly $200/ea for replacement summer, all-seasons,, or winter tires. Otherwise, it's about $2000 more than a loaded 08 SES Coupe and would come with a Navigation unit, HIDs, and LED rear tail lamps.

I would think the Haldex is a good performer in the snow, but the bias towards the front is going to reduce the fun factor a little bit versus something that puts 80% of the power to the rear at the start.

The mods I was thinking of for the Focus would be mainly to squeeze out "easy" hp/tq from the motor and make it at least faster than the Crown Vic (which is pretty anemic as-is). I can't believe the Clown Brick came with a meager 215 hp 4.6L V8. There are 3.5L V6s pushing 330 hp today!

Bookmarks & Social Networks