Volant Scoop or boat blower - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Question Volant Scoop or boat blower

OK, we've all pretty much seen those "Electric Superchargers" on ebay and E-RAM and most of us have pretty much written them off as a joke and not worth damaging(taking the risk) the engine if one of the blades happen to brake off and get sucked in to your engine.

So, I've been thinking.......(this scares me too...)
I have a Volant and there's the new Volant Scoop thing for ~$135 that I've been thinking of getting. Just waiting to hear the feedback from the people who bought them.

I guess it could be used to feed air into the stock air box resonator port too.

Well, I've been thinking of installing one of those $25-50, 3 or 4-inch turbo boat blowers on the side duct of my Volant or at least use it to feed air in to the side duct.
I'm looking at a blower that puts out about 240CFM.

This would take care of the paranoia of any blades being sucked in to the engine since it's before the filter.
The blower can be activated with a switch on the TB at WOT only. This gives you control over the blower ON/OFF.
The blower should help to get more cool air into the air box.

Here are my questions:
------------------------------

What would/is the maximum CFM the Volant scoop can provide at 108mph ?

Does anyone see any risks to doing this experiment ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
The Volant scoop as you may be aware is still a mystery because they haven't shipped yet.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
l88m22vette
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2184
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 l88m22vette Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
you know, thats not too bad an idea; its certainly worth the experiment. You're not really risking anything because even if the blade does break off, it'll be before the intake into the engine. To make it effective, you'd need to seal off the other openings, unless its just for an extra little kick (which it sounds like it is anyway). Good luck, I'm very interested in what comes out of this.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/honda-ad.html
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
averad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7135
What I Drive: 2002 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 averad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I sounds like it would force a good deal of air into the intake but you would need to have a very good seal to get any real boost i bet.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:05 PM   #5
XxDRIVERxX
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1104
What I Drive: '04 SRT-4, '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

FF Reputation: 1 XxDRIVERxX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I was actually thinking about this after taking a peak in the new FF mag, seeing those turbos in the Fog light holes, you could hook up one of those Echarger things or a bildge blower down there(or near the volant side scoop thingy) and running a tube down to there from the volant side scoop.. That and Co2 are two things I want to try after school is done.

-Shawn

Last edited by XxDRIVERxX; 05-11-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.