Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Spec Focus Build - what does it cost

15K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  LCR 
#1 ·
I've received the question on other boards on what it costs to build a Spec Focus car. Here's an outline of what goes into a typical build, as well as some per event breakdown of costs. This car was built from scratch, so it includes the cost of the car (salvaged, but already repaired).

There are some places where money could be saved - I probably overpaid for the cage, but it was built 100% to my specs by the best builder in the Mid-Atlantic. Didn't need to get 3 sets of wheels, and some of the other pieces (rear subframe and others) could have waited. But it's probably a fairly representative look at what it takes to build a 2.3 liter car. Zetec cars and motors can be had much more cheaply ($1k for running cars in Virginia), so there's a lot of affordability out there if you want to go in that direction...

The car:

Expense Breakdown:

See less See more
#4 ·
congratulations on a nice car and excellent driving. Are you allowed to seem weld the car?
Spec rules don't allow for seam welding. However, my experience with the car is that it is VERY stiff from the factory. I was quite surprised that you can easily jack one side of the car at the front jack point and have both wheels off the ground. [strongman] Certainly far stiffer than my 10 point Chromoly-caged 944

#5 ·
The idea of the Spec Focus is:
a really nice quick race car for a minimum expense. So.......the preparation is really minimum. The SVT and 2.3 require very little preparation other than safety items. You see Matt's upgrades, suspension items that are very reasonable,.... and safety.

I have been running Mid Ohio for several years with my SVT, R compunds, Koni yellows, and carbo tech brakes. times 1:57+
In a Spec Focus I can do 1:47:040. That is about eleven seconds faster.
Others did 1:45:6-- fastest laps.

This lap time differential I think is due to more camber allowed with the LCR camber plates and rear adjustable subframe, and a loss of about 300+lbs.

That is about all you see when it gets down to significant effects of the race car.

So, a fast car that is relatively an easy build. relative to all the other options out there for Ford types.

#6 ·
What is the bare minimum needed to compete?

For example, if I find a 2001 ZX-3 with umpteen miles, basic requirements would be:
roll cage
steering wheel replacement (no airbag)
window net
incidental costs for events

missing anything? I know there are further upgrades, etc, but I am just looking for bare bones, just getting started basic requirements to race SCCA or NASA SPEC Focus.

#9 ·
That is a perfect and cheap way to get started you will need to add the few safty items that you need to run Spec Focus like safty Belts, fire extinguishter,ect.. . You would just need to remove the air bags not change the wheel. I ran the production steering wheel less air bag the first year. Like Impaled said look at the rules and if I can be of any help just pm or e-mail me at tech@capaldiracing.com

#8 ·
For a zetec car (and I'm not a zetec expert, so don't quote me)

Bare minimum to go racing other than the cage,

- Spec suspension (shocks/struts/springs- available from Ford Racing or from series sponsors
- Swaybar kit (Eibach or similar) 100% essentially as the car won't turn without a 25mm rear bar
- Rear subframe kit if you don't have swaybar mounts on the car - extra camber is a bonus
- Camber plates for the front struts - LCRacing, Steeda, others? Need to run 2.25 degrees at least
- rear discs if you don't have them - though it may be easier to get the whole SVT kit from Ford - rotors/calipers/mounting brackets. All pre-engineered and bolt on

That'll get you out and racing.

After that, with a zetec car, you're going to want to add

-Ford Racing Cylinder Head
-Cosworth intake
-Race exhaust of your choice
-Cold Air Intake
-Throttle body
- Ford torsen or Quaife diff

Zetecs will make good power, but you need to be able to rev the piss out of them (7000 rpm plus) to make them competitive. My understanding is that the cam in the Ford Racing cylinder head is good for 7800 RPM, but don't quote me on that.

It may be cheaper and/or easier to get an older chassis and swap in a Duratec motor. Prices in the DC area for 2.3 liter motors are between $700 and $1000 for good, mid-mileage motors. Food for thought.

Your local ford dealer can get you all of the above parts, or online vendors like LCRacing, CFM, F2Focus, etc. will sell them at significantly reduced prices from MSRP.

If nothing else, put the suspension on your car - even if it's a daily driver. The lastest iteration of the spec suspension will lower your car more than an inch and a half from stock and the struts give it a nice taught feeling - maybe 10% stiffer than SVT from . Great setup.

#10 ·
Plus - you can sell off the airbags, seats, wheels, and lots of the interior goodies and make yourself back $500 or $1000 to pay for the cage, etc.

#13 ·
i used to have a focus... now ive got a wrx, but that doesnt really matter, i want another focus and its going to be a spec focus car, however, it will be a spec focus race car, fun weekend car, HPDE car, and hopefully eventually start a following in texas. anyways here is my question, i ask it because i dont want to have just a spec focus car because NASA events only have 2 races a weekend, i want to be able to run in SCCA too, so im wondering at what class it would run in, honestly im not worried about the car being competitive right now in SCCA, but what class would the car slot into? the car i want would be a 2005 ZX3 and depending on the money i have to work with, i would either build the 2.0 to spec or swap in a 2.3. what are your thoughts on my plans and what class in SCCA would the car slot into? thanks

Matt

#14 ·
First - welcome to the Spec Focus brotherhood - have some of our cool-aid!

Love your plans - here are my thoughts on the Spec Focus build. The nice thing about the 2.3 motor is that you won't run into a lot of costs once the swap is complete - no internal motor work is allowed. It's plug and play. With the Zetec, you're really going to need the Ford Racing Head/Cams and intake manifold sooner rather than later. If you feel comfortable doing that work yourself, that may not be a bad way to go. However, I think you'll really like the 2.3 motor a lot better - more torque and less install headaches. Not sure what they run for around your area, but there are running examples in the Wash DC area here for around $700 or so. Cheap Cheap!

You have two choices in SCCA. You can run SSC (Showroom Stock), which requires a full interior, stock suspension, and a bunch of other stock pieces. Or, depending on the year of the car, you can run Improved Touring (ITS). As I understand it, the Focus is uncompetive in SSC - you'll be running against mini coopers, etc. and your build costs will be siginificantly higher to be even remotely competitive.

Your other choice is ITS. ITs cars have to be (I think) at least 5 years old, but a car built to Spec Focus specs can be reasonably competitive. Where you'd still be lagging would be in the suspension department, as ITS allows adjustable suspensions and higher spring rates than Spec, but you could expect to run mid-pack (depending on skill) after a year or two in ITS with a car that is 100% Spec legal. See www.improvedtouring.com for rules and other ITS information. This would mean that your car might not be ITS legal until next year - but you could spend this year getting it built and running spec and D.E.'s this year and run both next year. FWIW, I'm in the same boat with my 2005.

ANother option might be to check out ITE - which in the DC area is the "Catch all" class that allows just about any car. Most of these are big 400hp turbo cars, but you're on the track and qualify/run with the whole field, so you're still racing with the same cars you would be if you ran with ITS or SSC. Check with your local region on what the requirements are.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask or PM, and I'll be happy to talk to you.

Matt

#15 ·
i would perferably want to use a 2005 ZX3 just like the one i used to have, i loved that car, so it would be between either building the 2.0 duratec or the headache of swapping in a 2.3, i should be able to get a 2.3 for about 500-600, there are a bunch of junkyards in houston, i am a very competent mechinic and i feel totally comfortable doing the cams, valves, springs, intake manifold, and all thats needed on a 2.0. but to make the motor competitive it seems like ill have to put another 2 grand in it, but if i could sell my 2.0 and recoup the cost of the 2.3 and then just do the small amount of mods to the 2.3 i could build the car for less, the only problem would be that whole motor swap. what are your thoughts? how hard is the swap?

Matt

#16 ·
how different are the wiring harnesses from the 2.3 to the 2.0? i figured the swap would be straight forward, but you talk about the wiring like its hell... how much of the 2.0s harness could i use? also would i have to change ECU's or could i just flash the engine to run a 2.3? also tuning is allowed, do you need a flasher of some sort? like my WRX you can just flash the stock ECU without a tuner/flasher... can you do the same with the foucs ECU? i have a bunch of questions if you can tell... ive got a lot more if you dont mind

Matt

#18 ·
I'd bet 250 or so. However, that's Leo's World Challenge car - definately NOT a spec Focus. May want to ask on his forum - he's a site sponsor.

#21 ·
Leo - I assume if you're swapping out a Zetec and into a Duratec - you would need to swap out the harness and the central electric box?

#23 ·
I would go with the 2.0L duratec but don't use the cossie intake mani because that will hurt your torque and that will not allow you to be as fast as you can be. I am removing my 2.3L duratec and installing a 2.0L duratec with our on F2 head. We will have figures and cost after Dec 18. I expect great numbers and awesome performance numbers.....

And ofcourse the 2.0L and 2.3L duratec engines are interchangeable

#24 ·
it hurts power? im curious at something, i would probably have the car tuned with every part i put on it to optimize the power and torque curves, would the cossie manifold make more power if it was tuned to work with the cams, valve springs, intake, F2 stepped exhaust, and FRP head?

another question, does the spec focus develop enough g's to warrant the use of an accusump set up? how does my build list look?

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 $6,500

Engine 2.0 Duratec
F2 Stepped Exhaust header $325
F2/Custom Cold Air intake $150
Cosworth Intake manifold $650
Custom 2.5in Exhaust $210
Accusump 3 quart $310
Ford Racing CNC Head $950
Crane Cams/valve spings and retainers $725
SCT Xcalibrator 3 Tuner $400
CFM 67mm Throttle Body $250
Prothane Poly Engine Bushing Kit $19

Suspension
Eibach Pro-System Plus $720
Prothane Poly Bushing Kit $195
Ford Racing Rear Subframe $195

Brakes
SVT Brake Kit $850
Hawk HPS Race PadsFront and Rear $185
3.5in Neoprene Aeroduct Hose $65
Stainless Steel Brake Lines $115

Wheels and Tires
SVT Euro 17x7 Wheels $400
Toyo RA1 205/40-17 (shaved) $770

Drivetrain
Torsen T2 Differential $510
4.06 Final Drive Kit $120

Safety
2.40L Alloy Hand Held Extinguisher $120
G-Force Cam-lock Harness $135
Corbeau FX1 Seat $300
Corbeau Seat mount $100
F2 Racing Roll Cage $1,750

Interior
G2X Racepac Data Aqusition $950
OMP WRC Steering Wheel $190
Summit Premium Battery Relocation Kit $110
OMP Steering Wheel Mount $72

Fluids
Royal Purple Manual Transmission fluid $45
Royal Purple Purple Ice $13
Royal Purple XRP 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil $65

* - indicates something not needed but would be nice to have $2,281

Total $18,464

#25 ·
Some thoughts in no particular order

Overall cost - your build sheet is showing almost $2500 for the intake, head, and cams, and doesn't include the various gaskets, fasteners and the like. It seems to me that selling the 2.0 and dropping in a 2.3 would have a total cost of less than half of that - plus it's a lot less work.

If you go with the 2.0 - please take note of the following:

1) The only legal 2.0 head/intake are the FRRP head and Cosworth intake. We expect F2 to be submitting information to homologate the head and perhaps the intake, but haven't seen anything from them yet. Don't have enough knowledge regarding relative performance advantage/dis-advantage of the cosworth manifold. However, I would either build the rest of the car out and wait for the F2 head homologation, or else go with the FRRP or swap the 2.3

2) Accusump not needed - though for piece of mind go for it if you want. I would think that an oil cooler (Focussport has one for $150 or so) would be a better first investment. However, you will need to upgrade their oil lines from hose clamp ends to a crimped connection.

3) Xcal's can be had cheaper than $400 - try Central Florida Motorsports or Focussport or others

4) Used 67mm TB's can be had for around $175 - see classifieds

5) There are better (though perhaps not cheaper) suspensions than the eibach. The multimatic kit is stiffer and not a whole lot more money

6) Get the Toyo R888 215/45/17 tires. The RA1 tires aren't legal after July 1. If you have them shaved, you may want to think about a second set of wheels with full tread R888's for use in the rain.

7) Make sure you factor in welding costs for the cage. Not sure if it's a bolt in, but you should still weld the feet to the frame of the car.

8) Budget $1k for a HANS or similar. NASA and or SCCA may require it for 2008, but it could save your life.

9) Personally, I think the Hawk HT10's are a better pad than the HPS. The HPS are really a glorified street pad. HT10's work much better when hot - more bite, less fade

10) Love my G2X - but it's a nice to have for your first year. Save the cash and put it into seat time.

11) Good to see if that you have the SS brake lines - they are a must.

Otherwise - list looks very complete - you've done your homework. [headbang]

#26 ·
yeah i learned a lot from my first track car build, a 93 MR2 turbo, now i want to get into W2W racing. but i was thinking i could cut about 2200 bucks out of that list of stuff that id like to have but dont nessisarlly need, i could put that elseware for the moment and maybe put it into seat time. another thing would be that the car will me basically my indestructable HPDE car. i cringe when i put the MR2 off, but i cant say that i would do the same if i put the focus off the road.

quick pic of the old car.... it was pretty heavilly modded... i estimated on the cage, but that price 1750 is the price on F2's site for a MIG welded cage, but i wish that i could find someone who makes a weld-it-yourself cage for the focus, because i can weld tig or mig. i know the poly motor mounts would be a must, i broke one when i had my 2005, but would the poly suspension bushings be absolutly neessiary? also have you ran into any issues about the brakes fading to the point where youd like to have brake ducts? i have them listed and i know how id build them, just wondering if you use them or would want to use them? yeah i figured that there was a better suspension, but i like that fact that it comes with everything needed, shocks springs, and antiroll bars, not to mention i have good expiernce with the kit, i put it on a freind of mines focus and i loved the way it rode and drove. granted i never drove it on a track, but i know how easy the whole thing is to install. i found an xcal 3 for 400 at steeda, and i was reading over the features and it seems like the xcal 3 is the only one that allows for custom tuning by a tuner, most likely my engine tuner for the MR2 would become my tuner for my spec foucs. if there is any other way of doing custom tuning please let me know, i never got into engine tuning on my focus. i agree on the SS lines, made a HUGE diff on the MR2, by the way does EBC make red or yellow brake pads for the focus? thanks for answers!

Matt

#27 ·
- Livermore performance has (I think) the weld it yourself cage for about $900 IIRC.

- Polyurethane suspension bushings not needed IMO. If you have everything apart, go ahead and do them - but the cars are relatively soft and the bushings aren't that much firmer than stock.

- My rear mount is gone too...Poly is a must there. Know who sells them?

- You're right on the xcal

- I'm going to run brake ducts for 2008. I had some fade on hot days, but I'm not sure if it was really fade or else pad knockback from the caliper flexing. I'm making my own using the fog light holes and PVC pipe. These cars brake really well. Re-reading your post, the 2005 cars have the same calipers (I believe) as the SVT rally kit - the only difference is that the kit's brakes are 335 mm disks vs. 320 or so for the 2005 OEM disks. Save the $800 on that - I had no issues sticking with, or sometimes outbraking the cars with the kit even on the long straights at Mid-Ohio (120 mph -->> 40mph)

- No idea on EBC's as I haven't used them. I'd personally be running Performance Friction 97's as they are my favorites from my Porsche days, but they don't make them for this application. Note - to get my HT10's to fit the front calipers, I had to grind the backing plates a touch to get them to fit in the guide channels. Unfortunatly, there are not a whole lot of people making brakes for the 05-07 cars.

On the other hand -Hawk gives good contingency money. Winner at the nationals got $500 and they paid me $150 for 4th [:D]

#28 ·
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=53

/\ i think thats the correct bushing but cfm has a bunch more

so on the brakes, i will probably start with a base model 2005 zx3, which means 320 rotors upfront and rear drums, i can either swap in an SVT front and rear kit, or just do an SVT rear kit? i was going to do the SVT whole kit just so that it would be easy to find brake pads in more performace oriented compounds, or is this a wrong assumption? i would think that the 335mm disks would probably help with fade as well, considering that there is a larger area exposed to air, as well, the brakes would probably be a little more catchy,being that the rotors are larger, and ultimatly can create more braking torque, however, are the calipers identical for the rally kit and SVT kit? also is the brake balance pretty good in the car or would tuning the balance with brake pads perhaps help as brake balance adjusters are illegal? any other thoughts on the braking? any other thoughts on the braking?

hmmm...oh yeah can you relocate the battery? like to the spare wheel well with the use of a sealed battery box? out of curiousty i mention the tuner, because of above posts and such im pretty convinced 2.3 is the way to go, so with a header, cold air intake, and exhaust would i really need a custom tune to make the 160-165whp rule? thanks

Matt

#29 ·
You may want to look into getting the rear brakes/disks/calipers from the junkyard. '05 fronts were running about $30 in my area, so you could probably pick up everything you need for maybe $200? As to other information on what the SVT brake kits come with, check with Leo Capaldi ("LCR"on this board) as he's a site sponsor and the series director.

Brake balance is pretty good, but go with the most agressive rear pads you can find. Every little bit helps for turn-in. You'll still have to trail brake the crap out of the car to make it turn, though. It almost has to be pitched into the corner rally style.

Most of the cars have the battery relocated to the tire well. However, you may want to look into one of the lighter weight batteries such as the oddyssey brand, as getting the car down to weight is going to be a challenge. If you want to be at the minimum (2650 with the 2.3), you'll need to pull the windows and window lifts off the car as well as anything else you can find. AC, and maybe even the HVAC system. The oddysey that I have (sorry - forget the model - 680 maybe?) weighs about 12 pounds vs. the 30+ for stock. Plus it's a gel model so you can mount it in any orientation.

If you can get 160-165 on a dynojet -you're going to spend a lot of time on the dyno and swapping in exhausts and the like. Strong cars will be mid 150's with just bolt ons. Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?[rofl]

#30 ·
this seems like it would be a very expensive option but what would you think about for a eibach dampers and springs in the front, and a multimatic dampers and springs in the rear to help with rotation? just babling really...

Matt

#31 ·
Definately would work - but I think that you'd really be lacking enough spring up front to control body roll/contact patch - what you gain in the rear you'd lose at the front.

There is a new set of springs - M-5560-ZXM - out for this year that are a replacement for the multimatic springs, but drop the car another 1/2 inch or so more than the multimatics. Also may be a touch stiffer as well. I'm putting them on my car. I think they are around $200 or so, so picking up a set to mix and match with your current springs is definately do-able and cheap. Not sure if they are available yet, but should be available by Jan 1. Check with Capaldi, McNews, CFM, or any of the other sponsors on the board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.