anyone know alot about alignments?? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
okay guys, brain teaser. Sorry to bump and old thread, but WD and Weeasp are both subscribed here...

Joe Somebody at the alignment shop told me something verrry interesting today. Apparently, when you change the REAR toe, the steering wheel goes crooked. Is this true? I only need a rear alignment to get the toe down a bit, which would save me like 30 bucks, but according to this guy thats not possible cuz it will screw up the front and I will need a 4-wheel.

What is possible is that they think I dont know anything about alignments and are fishing in my wallet...

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #22
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
There's probably a grain of truth in what he's saying...I can imagine that any change done to the rear would also require a change up front to compensate for it. Now as far as do you actually need a four-wheel alignment...I couldn't say.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #23
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear toe doesn't affect the steering mechanically (mechanicals?). Rear toe can make the steering more responsive but that's because the wheels are adjusted to point inwards or outwards. Lots of outward toe can make things happen really quick. Autocrossers tend to favor a little toe out but it all depends on the front toe specs as well. The centering or position of the steering wheel is adjusted by the front tie rods (front toe adjustment). A low tire on one side or another or a collapsed spring (rare but possible) could affect the steering wheel position but I've never heard of rear toe being able to do it by itself. I guess if they screw up the thrust angle alignment (so the rear is not tracking the front aka crabbing) then yes you might have to compensate with the steering wheel but that would be the technicians fault and hard to do on a computerized alignment rack.

Its always best to get a four wheel alignment. It rarely costs any more and its important that those rear wheels follow the fronts as perfectly as possible.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 AM   #24
emsvitil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
rear toe is slightly...

You each rear wheel independantly to the car. So 1 rear wheel can be perfectly aligned, the other wheel could have either toe-in or toe out.

The slight toe-in/out would cause a slight dog-tracking action... which may or not be noticable. The front end alignment could then be set up to compensate for the rear misalignment.

Now someone comes along at sets the rear alignment so that both wheels are the same (in/out/neutral). Now your rear is good, but the front is wrong because it was compensating for the bad rear alignment.....
Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #25
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Well the thing is my front toe is already at .02 degrees both sides... So theyre not compensating for anything...

I plan to go down to .1 deg in the rear. Reason for it being so low is both autocrossing and because I often carry a lot of weight in the car, and when the springs compress the tires toe in thusly giving me REALLY CRAPPY tire wear on long trips with a lot of gear...

Thanks for the comments, if I cant find a rear only job for 30 bucks then I will do all four for 60

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
This is written by a very competent race mechanic and engineer. Its one of the more simpler explanations I could find. You'll come to the that max front and rear toe out is not good for anything except tire wear and a squirrelly handling car.

Pigeons vs. Ducks (or what's just ducky for the front is for the birds in the back)

The toe of a tire, or how the front sits in relation to the rear is one of those adjustments where a little really goes a long way. Toe can drastically alter whether a car has understeer or oversteer--a lot more effect than any other adjustment. Toe can also drastically effect the wear patterns on your tires, especially the rear ones.

If you like having tires that are sticky and still want them to last more than a few thousand miles, only minor adjustments should be done to the toe. But with all that is at risk, why is toe in or toe out desirable at all? Because it allows the other changes you are going to make have a greater effect on the cars handling. With negative camber, the contact patch's shape has been altered ever so slightly. Tossing in a bit of toe will help correct this.

In the rear, toe out is bad, it won't help the car any, even to understeer. The only thing that will become apparent is that it really causes the tires to scrub.

Toe in on the rears on the other hand is quite nice in moderation. It can help offset a number of things, primarily the tendency of heavy rear swaybars to induce oversteer (see section 4 in tips from the garage). somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" total toe in for the rears is a good number. I say somewhere because some shops can't measure toe with such a degree of accuracy, or they don't use inches (although if they have a computerized alignment rack, they should be able to measure things in darn near any unit, even leagues)

The front wheels actually like a bit of toe out, about the same measurements. This helps to counteract the effects of all that positive caster.

If you decide that tire life should not be sacrificed for magnificent handling, then setting toe fore and aft to zero is a good safe route to go.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->