HOW-TO: Door panel removal and speaker installation. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
StevenFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45554
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-red ZX4

FF Reputation: 16 StevenFocus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
HOW-TO: Door panel removal and speaker installation.

Hey all. I dont really know how to start this off, so i'll jump straight into it and please excuse the poor picture quality.. they are taken in 640x480 res and the next highest up is 1600x1200. removing the door panel is a VERY straightfoward project and all you'll need is as follows.

1. Ratchet with decently long neck and not sure what size bit 'sorry.. reciting from memory here'

2. I think it was a torx bit i just used a torx screwdriver... also pretty small

3.Something small pry with.. something that wont scratch up your interior like my stupid ass did.

Since its soo straightfoward.. i can present you with pictures better than my words can describe it, this is the front passenger side door.

Starting at top left

Going down the door.

The two on bottom.

Up the other side.

On up.

Now heres where you start prying.. and where i fubared my interior up.. the grip underneath the door handle comes out, and reveals 2 screws. this is where the ratchet comes in.

See the black thing behind the handle in the first pic.. that baby has to come off too. revealing this.

Take the 'red piece on my car' off and undo the plug going to the window switch and any other plugs that need to be taken out. it takes some practice to get the thing off, but its pretty easy once you get it.

now the little black booger at the top of the door in the corner nearest the mirror is kinda tricky. It has one clip going parallel with the mirror itself.. and 2 going parallel with the door just pull until you feel it start popping out and you got it, power windows will have a plug that you will need to take out when you get it off so the door panel will come off easier 'my drivers side does'

Then everything should be off, and the door panel should slide up 'with a little bit of force.. and VIOLA.. it will reveal the monstrosity that is your door panel.

I took my door panel off to install new speakers. Take your old ones out with whatever it is 'torx or ratchet' and put your new ones in.. if its OEM then ti should just plug right up, the stockers have pads on the backs to protect from hitting the window.. which i recycled.

Now just reverse engineer everything and make sure your plugs are in reach so you can put them back in and you are in business. Putting the panel back on is kinda tricky. So its easyer to have the window open so you can kinda tilt it that way and push it down. but im sure it wont be too hard. if i missed anything, please feel free to tell me. I also have a set of pictures for the back drivers door, but its exactally the same as the other doors so their really is no need for em.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46135
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver ST3

FF Reputation: 5 myfocusrocks Good Standing Member
How much better do those speakers sound? I know not that long ago, a crap load of people ordered them... Can you notice a difference?

Good write up btw
Team Duratec # 136
RIFF Crew
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
StevenFocus
Focus Enthusiast

The sound itself is a phenomenal improvement over the stockers.. they are a good bit less bass-y than the others.. but i put a MTX 10' and 2000w amp to make up for it.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
NCedillos
Illest.... <3

Fan#: 50780
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE

FF Reputation: 7 NCedillos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
That was needed. Thank you.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Cool, I just bought those speakers and was about to install them this week. Your write up just made it a little easier. +1 rep for that man, good job. One suggestion is bit sizes help a lot.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
StevenFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah im really sorry about the bit sizes.. i did it about last thursday and i just got around to putting the pics up so im not really too sure on what the sizes are, IIRC the sockets 'MIGHT' be 9mm.. the torx shouldnt be that hard to figure out, because im sure someone isnt goin to have just 1 torx sitting around the house, and appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46135
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver ST3

FF Reputation: 5 myfocusrocks Good Standing Member
Thats cool

When I bought mine... I got Infinity REF6822CF speakers. They sound really good along with the subs I have. Only thing I have against them... the cost, lol. Heres a pic of the ones I got... But at 60RMS who can complain, lol.

BTW: I HATE getting the door panels back in... what a PAIN in the @SS.
Team Duratec # 136
RIFF Crew
Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Khanaar
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49147
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red Fusion S

FF Reputation: 8 Khanaar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the door panel removal and reinstallation went pretty smoothly with me, thanks to a few tricks i learned with a shop rag with the Cclip in the crank handle
Old 10-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Added to the 'HOW TO ARCHIVE'...... nice work!!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #10
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Is it possible to pop out dents in the door and the door crease with the panel removed?

Bookmarks & Social Networks