What kind of audio setup would you buy? Specifics inside. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Thin_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7370
What I Drive: 2007 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Thin_J Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What kind of audio setup would you buy? Specifics inside.

Here's the deal. I don't think the stock radio sounds bad really, but I would still like to just replace the door speakers with some equivalent speakers of the same size, and add a LITTLE bass to the system. I don't want my car to thump so loud the cars next to me can't hear their stereos when it hits.

Just a teency bit of bass to add to the stock system.

For that, I've decided to go with the Kenwood w00x. That part I've picked out. It'll slide under the driver's seat, and I won't have to do any custom installing stuff like the options mentioned in all the stealth subwoofer threads. I can't and/or won't trust myself doing that kind of work on a car I'm still forking up money to pay for. I don't trust myself to not mess it up.

Any suggestions for the door speaker replacements are welcome. Budget for all 4 is going to be $200. Like I said, I'm not looking for ridiculously loud, I'm just going for something that sounds better than the stock system.

I'm new to car audio, and audio stuff in general, so I have no idea what I'm looking at when I browse through websites like crutchfield.

Here's the last little issue.. I refuse to lose the steering wheel audio controls. I mean.. I flat refuse. I love that little set of controls behind the wheel, and will not do without them. So, if it's at all possible for the stock headunit to sound good through some aftermarket speakers with the added assistance of that little w00x from Kenwood, I'd love to just keep the headunit, and upgrade all the speakers. If there is no way to make the stock HU sound better than it does already without adding an amp.. well, here's the issues.

Two requirements.
1. I will not buy any headunit that won't allow me to use those controls in some way.
2. Any headunit that can use those controls through some kind of passthrough, like the SWI-X or whatever it is, I'll buy that device if I have to, BUT.. it has to be something I can get a place like bestbuy or somewhere to install for me, as I've spent forever looking, and can't find any car audio shops or specialty stores for this kind of thing around here.

So.. to anybody that has a suggestion of any kind for anything listed there.. that's awesome. I thank you very very much in advance. If you live near me and would take like $50 as an install fee and know what you're doing well enough to help me do this without going to bestbuy/circuit city, that would be great too, as I really don't like the idea of those guys in my car. Given my location of Florence, Kentucky, I doubt that's going to be an option :)

If you don't know what to tell me.. well, that's understandable as I'm one seriously picky bastard, and I don't have all that much cash to throw around.

Thanks loads for any and all help/suggestions/offers.

I owe you already for even reading all that.

Mac Axleback Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
it's nice that you've done your research first, that helps alot. the kenwood wOOx should give you the bass you are looking for, i'd keep the stock hu because the adapters for the steering wheel controls are a little expensive and you'd need someone to install it. but you will need a line out converter (LOC) to give your wOOx a signal to reproduce. and you will need a small amplifier wiring kit that includes about 20 feet of 12 gauge power/ground wire (you'll probably use less though), one set of rca's, terminal connectors, and remote turn on wire. if you are having a shop install it they'll probably have you buy their own stuff, but defaintely don't let them talk you into 8 gauge wire, 10 gauge isn't even needed, 12 gauge is more than enough. for speakers i'd look at these http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1087 for $50 shipped a pair, they are great for the money, my brother has a pair and they sound great, no matter what aftermarket speakers you run off the hu, almost all of them will sound the same sicne your stock hu is only giving out about 8 watts. so the ones i linked to would do you fine, you won't get anymore bass with those speakers comapred to stock ones since the wattage is so small but the high end of the adudio spectrum will be greatly improved. the wOOx should fill in the missing low-end of the audio spectrum. you'll need an adapter though, it's not too ahrd to make, just find some sort of wood taht doesn't vibrate at low frequencies and cut a whole for the speaker to mount onto and then let the edges be about an 1/2"-1" wide at the top and bottom and then about 2 1/2" wide side to side. then screw it in and your done. i really think you could do this install yourself if you have a few free hours, it would definately save you some money, we here can help you along.

- Scott
Old 05-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Thin_J
Focus Enthusiast

That's an awesome description of the needed parts and how to do it.

I'll check out everything you listed there. The w00x only cost me about $50 new, so this whole thing looks like it's going to turn out pretty cheap afterall.

The description you give of the high end of the audio spectrom improving is really what I was looking for in the aftermarket door speakers. My only questions really with what you said involve making an adapter for the door panel to fit those speakers. Again, I don't overly trust myself with this kind of thing, but if it's really that simple and I had a step-by-step of some kind, I suppose I could manage it well enough. Do the circular speakers sound better than just replacing the doors with a different set of 6x8's? Or is the sound quality for the price the reason you listed those?

There's lots of little things I don't know.. I don't even know how to get the stock speakers out of the door panels, or the headunit out of the dash. I'm sure it's exceedingly simple, but things like that are why I was kind of interested in as little custom work as I could manage, or just having someone else do it.

I have more than a few free hours, as I scheduled all but tuesday and saturday off work this week. It's kind of a mini-vacation.

Thanks again pyro for the detailed information. If it's really as easy to do myself as you make it sound like, then I guess I'll save some money on labor after I get all the things I need to do it.
Mac Axleback Exhaust
Old 05-10-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

the differnce between round and oval speakers isn't noticable until you put more power to the speakers with an external amplifier, then a round speaker will almost always sound better, but running off the hu there won't be a difference. those speakers i linked to are just a good deal, they are great for the money, it's hard to find some speakers that good for that cheap, it's worth having to build an adapter in my opinion. if you want to do this install you'll need to have a screw driver, a drill with different sized drill bits to go through metal, wire strippers, wire crimpers, electrical tape, perferebly a jig saw to cut the patterns for your speaker adapters, a couple razors to splice into stock wires, and optional is a soldering gun. the speaker adapters would kind of look like the ones that this other person did http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/230931/4 but without that small 1" tweeter next to the 5" or 6" speaker. and you don't need to carpet them. for the amplifier installation you need to drill a very small hole in the firewall (the area behind the pedals), it should be pretty easy, just enough to get your 12 gauge wire through and to the battery. you'll need to fuse that wire within 18" of the battery, the amp kit will have the fuse and fuse holder. then you need to pull up the sill/trim on the sides of the car, run the power wire down that, then you'll sand down a spot for the ground wire, drill a hole for a screw and washer. then you'll unscrew the consule and trim around the shifter, pull that up, take out the radio with $3 radio removal tool sfrom walmart, then splice into stock wiring, hook up your LOC and remote turn on wire, run the rca's down the shiter area, to the drivers seat where the woox is, connect ot the woox. that's a real basic idea of what you have to do, i can go into more detail if you are interested.

- Scott
Old 05-16-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
Thin_J
Focus Enthusiast

Here's a question for you pryo.

Is it possible to keep the stock HU, and use an external Amp to help out the 4 door speakers, possibly run it through an aftermarket equalizer of some kind to tweak the sound a bit, and still have all that combined with the w00x under the seat?

My old Grand-Am had a Monsoon Audio system with a 5-band equalizer on it. It sounded great to my slightly undescerning ears, once I'd played with that equalizer, and that's the kind of sound I'm looking for. A tiny bit of bump, and a lot better high-end. I remember being able to crank it pretty loud when I wanted to, and those speakers never winced. It was very balanced and easy to listen to.

Like I said, total newbie here to all of this. I may ask a guy I know at work who did his own sound system in his truck. His is a little on the extreme end of the spectrum.. he's got like 4 subs and a shit-ton of wattage, but I figure that at least means he knows how to wire it.
Mac Axleback Exhaust
Old 05-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

it is possible to run amps off the stock hu and run the rca signal through an eq or sound processor but they can be expensive and you need somewhere to mount it, maybe the glove box? look at www.audiocontrol.com , they're stuff is great. and look at arc audio also, http://www.arcaudio.com/arc/navigation/keq5prodp.htm
http://www.arcaudio.com/arc/navigation/peq7prodp.htm
very high quality stuff, looks awesome too. but like i said, expensive. there are some cheaper quality ones though, look at a ALPINE ERE-G180, it's 11 bands and does a really good job. i bought a used one and used it for a while and loved it. i'd get that and then i'd just go with a two speaker system (fronts) and send about 100 watts to them from an amp. some good coaxials (tweeter mounted on the midbass/midrange). but it all depends on how much you'd want to drop into the system. and the installation would be kind of difficult if it was your first time.

- Scott
Old 05-16-2004, 10:58 PM   #7
Thin_J
Focus Enthusiast

Long as it's possible. Either I'll figure it out, or i'll pay someone else to.

Thanks loads for all the information, I appreciate the help. I'll try and snap some pictures of either the install or the finished setup, along with some pics of my ride, since I haven't posted any of those yet either.

Thanks again man.
Mac Axleback Exhaust

Bookmarks & Social Networks