Headlight Mod, Now Headlight Won't Work (help the newb!) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
NotMyZX3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51048
What I Drive: 2006 Black Saturn Ion-2 Quad-Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 NotMyZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Headlight Mod, Now Headlight Won't Work (help the newb!)

Hi Everyone!

Yes, I'm new. I suppose I should've gone through the whole introduction thing, except I'm not a Focus owner, just a friend of someone who does own one. For formality's sake, she owns a manual 2006 ZX3 with roughly 32K on it, all stock.

So after reading up on the painted headlight how-to, we decided to paint the headlight chrome one afternoon. I have previously done this mod to my Saturn Ion, and both a Subaru Outback and WRX, and until doing a Focus, I haven't had a problem doing this. However, this didn't go smoothly at all.

Headlights took awhile in the oven to loosen, and apparently Herculean strength is required to pry them apart (something we two girls didn't exactly have, but we were persistant). We got them unscrewed, painted, reassembled, and resealed without much of a problem. When it came time to reinstall the headlights into the car, we quickly got them in and turned them on to see how they looked. They look amazing!

It was then that we realized we forgot some part on the passenger's side (I forgot which part exactly), but it required that we unbolt the headlight and take it out again. Not a problem, or so we thought. We get the headlight out and back in, wires and everything hooked up all good, and we go to turn the lights back on and.......passenger's side headlight isn't working!

We tried the bulb (it's interchangeable with my car's), and it was fine. So anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I've gone over the headlight assembly and the only thing I can find that is a minor detail is that one of the clips holding the headlight in is broken off. I'm not sure if that makes a difference at all, connection-wise, but it seems secure enough with just one. I'm going to check out her car again tomorrow, so is there anything in particular I should look for that might be causing this? Did we fry a wire or something while the headlight was in the oven? If so, if it has to be replaced, can I do this myself rather easily, or is this a dealer-type thing?

The poor girl is driving around with just one headlight as of right now. I'm hoping that maybe someone might know what we did wrong. Thanks in advance everyone! I'm sorry the details are slim to none, but it's not my car and I'm just going by memory.

(Also, IIRC, I have never had to remove so many random pieces from a car just to get to the headlights! Jacking up the car to remove them? Pfft... Props to the people who have the patience to modify these cars. I'll stick with my Tupperware :) )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
zx505focus
AKA KILLA XB

Fan#: 44497
What I Drive: 2010 Scion XB RS7

FF Reputation: 44 zx505focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
hey if you want ill sell you my black housing headlights to you if you want them.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
NotMyZX3
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx505focus View Post
hey if you want ill sell you my black housing headlights to you if you want them.
Not sure if the problem is with the headlight or the wiring though Nevertheless, I'll ask her if she's interested. If so, only need the right one though, considering the driver's side one works fine.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
zx505focus
AKA KILLA XB

Fan#: 44497
What I Drive: 2010 Scion XB RS7

FF Reputation: 44 zx505focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
well, i got these off of ebay and they been on the car for a month and i already sold my stock headlights so i would have to sale as a pair. its a great headlights but i want to upgrade to projectors now.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I went through the same thing and all I was doing was changing bulbs. I have an '01 and somehow managed to blow a fuse when installing. The problem being, the manual did not match up with the fuse panel. It had me checking the wrong fuse. Check the fuse box on the firewall. My manual shows it on the right column, but it was on the left.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
NotMyZX3
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
I went through the same thing and all I was doing was changing bulbs. I have an '01 and somehow managed to blow a fuse when installing. The problem being, the manual did not match up with the fuse panel. It had me checking the wrong fuse. Check the fuse box on the firewall. My manual shows it on the right column, but it was on the left.

Sad to say, I didn't even think of this. I'll be looking at her car tomorrow, so I'll definitely check out the fuse box. Thanks for your help! Hopefully this fixes it.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
guitarseth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7887
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 guitarseth Good Standing Member
Yeah, definitely check the underhood fuse panel for the headlights. Weird stuff can happen when you disconnect and reconnect crap.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
NotMyZX3
Focus Rookie

After talking to her on the phone about it, turns out it was a blown fuse. And considering I left all my misc car stuff over at her place, I had the proper fuse in the mess and she was able to fix it without me taking a trip out there.

Thanks so much guys, you're a big help! Will definitely be checking back in for more ideas (and hopefully not so many panicked posts).
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
03' ZX3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53981
What I Drive: 2003 silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03' ZX3 Good Standing Member
i have a pair of black headlights im am new with these cars and i dont know how to get the headlights out...its an 03' ZX3...and mine didnt come with the clear piece that goes on the front. can you help at all? i'd appreaciate it...thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
03' ZX3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53981
What I Drive: 2003 silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03' ZX3 Good Standing Member
can anyone help? i dont know exactly how to get my headlights out...im new with these cars im more of a chevy guy but i like these...anyways i got some projectors and i need help on how-to remove my stock ones...also mine did not come with the clear piece that goes in front, will i have to take the one off the stock ones and put them on the new ones? or am i screwed?

Bookmarks & Social Networks