Power Window Swap? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Wes_03_ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50994
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Wes_03_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Power Window Swap?

I was wondering how difficult it would be(and how expensive) to swap my manual windows for power ones. If i bought power window regulators what do I need to wire them to? Would these regulators work on my 2003 ZX3? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...QQcmdZViewItem
btw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
bananaboat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39414
What I Drive: Mazda 2 but still own the 2 Focis

FF Reputation: 1 bananaboat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just swapped my front manuals for power windows on my 2007 Focus. Having worked on my son's 2000 Focus and replacing one of his power windows, it would probably be about the same regardless of year. I did NOT go with OEM due to the cost plus the car isn't prewired. I used a SPAL kit #330000300147 which is a universal kit. Nobody seems to have an 07 kit plus the Focus specific kit is twice the price. My details...

I estimate 8-10 hours to install without rushing. The mechanisms are easy to install and required drilling 5 holes (screws included) to secure. I like the 1970’s so my dual switch is mounted next to the radio (I drive left handed so my right hand is free) and I located the passenger switch where a normal Focus would have the switch by the door handle. Granted it's not what everyone would want but this is my commuter vehicle - 1 year old and 36k miles and I'll drive it until it dies. What caused so much time:

1) No pre-wiring so I had to run the harness. The door plugs are solid multi-piece plastic and have joining connectors (I.E. radio). Fun drilling them out and making sure the speakers still connected.
2) The driver’s side under-dash plug is in a tight spot and my hand barely fit.
3) The bezel around the radio has lots of heat/ac switches to disconnect. Too big for my scroll saw so I had to drill a hole and use the saber saw for the switches but it looks good. Tapped the wiring off the power port and required upgrading fuse #47 to 25amp. I like this setup since the power windows are constantly hot and don’t require the ignition being turned on to operate. Did a sweet little tap off one of the heat/ac wires for lighting when the lights are turned on.
4) The passenger side door plugs are the same but under the dash is the engine computer and another big block of PCM controls. Pulled the glove box to remove these two banks and two sets of brackets (left the switches connected) but it was a pain. Even less room getting to the door plug so I have war wounds on some fingers.
5) Cut the passenger side switch hole with the scroll saw and no issue mounting.
6) Since this uses the existing window crank, there is a cover that mounts on the inside and outside of the door panels. This is used to make sure the old metal crank with it’s new gear cover doesn’t rub against the door panel. The cover is 1.5” and your existing hole is smaller. So I used a paddle blade to widen the existing hole to 1.5”.

The kit includes everything and has lots of left over parts since crank handles are different among manufacturers. My only needed supplies other than tools – some butt connectors for tapping into existing wiring (positive, negative, lights). Of course a 1.5” paddle blade or hole saw cutter is needed. Various metric tools, saber saw, drill, T12? torx bit, etc.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
bananaboat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39414
What I Drive: Mazda 2 but still own the 2 Focis

FF Reputation: 1 bananaboat Good Standing Member
Sold my 07 to my son so I've now installed the Colibri power window kit in an 09 Focus. No real difference - same 8 second windows, switches, brackets, gears, etc as a SPAL. The Colibri does have a slightly different cable design which is non-binding without any adjustments in position. The biggest differences are in the 07 to 09 S models. The 09 has additional wires due to the side curtain airbags, is easier to run the wires behind the glove box (computer is now under the hood) but there is less room to tap into hot wires behind the dash. I've installed a modulite kit for a lightweight trailer so I just tapped that 12 gauge wire running directly from the battery.

So SPAL or Colibri, they seems the same and have the same speed. The Colibri instructions are very short and rely mainly on pictures to relay the instructions. So a SPAL kit might be best if you've never done this before.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
daspazzZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 133961
What I Drive: 02 ZX3 chcl gry - Dakota-PatE02 5sp

FF Reputation: 2 daspazzZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Just in case either of you guys are still around I'm asking, because Im about to do something similar, how did your install(s) go? I followed bananaboats info to the kit he used. It looked like it was using the manual lift kit with a powered roller ad ons, is that correct?

I'm going to try a bit of a different approach. replacement powered regulators with SVT wiring harness and door panels.

Has anyone else done something similar? If so how hard was it? I would think if you have complete panels and wiring it shouldn't be tooo hard? (famous last words)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Angelslave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35260
What I Drive: 2002 & 2005 ZX3s, 2006 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 Angelslave Good Standing Member
As part of my upcoming rebuild of my 2002 Focus ZX3 I plan on converting to power windows and door locks. I have a pair of donor doors off of a 2006 Focus ZX3. Will these fit a 2002? If so any idea what else I would need from the donor car to make this swap work?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
Doors should work. Only thing that is hard is the wiring.

Not to long ago I replaced a dodge ram that had (power windows) to the original power window regulators. Places install these kits that is a motor that goes over where the manual lever is and it cranks it like a power window should. Problem is these motors are cheap and dont last. The only good thing was from that is everything was prewired. So all we did was go to a junk yard and pull original power regulators (they fit tight in) splice and install.
Another problem is the cheap switches the kit comes with and unfortunately no way (that I cared to look into) to mount oem switches properly onto manuel door panal. Better off going to junk yard and getting door panels with switches. This isnt hard if its prewired like what I did. I dont do wiring its pita so if it was me id just leave it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
daspazzZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 133961
What I Drive: 02 ZX3 chcl gry - Dakota-PatE02 5sp

FF Reputation: 2 daspazzZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
So I'm the oddball here, the virgin, since no one else has piped in about doing this.

This will be one of my first mods. Adding SVT audiophile speakers to the front doors too.

Can't wait to get my car back and get started!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->