Need Help! Control arm bolt is seized! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
brandnew161
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46064
What I Drive: 95' Eagle Talon TSi AWD

FF Reputation: 4 brandnew161 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Need Help! Control arm bolt is seized!

okay so i am in the process of utting lowering spring on my car. I got the front ones no problem but i cant do the back ones. The control arm bolt wont budge at all. I tried grease, heat, and a whole lotta force...nothing. What can i do to get that bolt out?

ZC#172
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This bolt is a problem in all focus it seems like. What is happening is the bolt is seized to the metal sleeve inside the control arm bushing. Its very hard to get out and 99% of the time if you get it out, it will ruin the bushing, which you cannot buy seperate from Ford. You have two choices..try to rent an internal spring compressor and not even take the bolt out. Or you could cut the bolt out which then you would need a new control arm and new hardware.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
When I tried to do this on my 2001 I had to cut the arms out with a sawz-all. I tried everything I could think of for a week and then decided to suck it up and order new LCA's.

For comparison, my 2007's came apart like butter lol. VERY easy in comparison. Theres only so much you can do, Id cut them out. [:/]
Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
brandnew161
Focus Addict

yea i was hoping i could aviod that :/ Here's another question, the bolts i need to take out are the bolts closest to the wheels, not the inner ones...so would these bushings from focussport work?

http://www.focussport.com/controlarmbushings.htm
ZC#172
Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
brandnew161
Focus Addict

Forgot to add in...i'd torch off the bolts and punch them through...use those new bushings if they'd work and then to find some new bolts. Does ford carry those control arms bolts seperately?
ZC#172
Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
MaroonZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
I just put in new springs and avoided the whole control arm bolt issue. I found a spring compressor that had U-bolts that attached to the spring and the jack screws were at least two inches away from the OD of the springs. I think that Lisle makes these kind. With them, I was able to compress the rear springs while they were in the car. It wasn't very easy, but it worked.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
brandnew161
Focus Addict

yea i tried 2 diff kinds of spring compressors but they were both too big. I even had the manager of monroe muffler work on it at his house and he had no luck. Ure damn lucky lol. U have a picture of the compressor u used? Whered u pick it up at?
ZC#172
Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
hEaT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20699
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST

FF Reputation: 11 hEaT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Spring compressor in the rear is the best way IMO unless you rear LCA's are in need of replacing. That's how I did mine. Took some clever reworking of the compressor, but worked.
ZETEC Crew #49

Quote:
Originally posted by DrkKnight614
......hmm if that works then if i put a spinner on my butt hole and rip one will i be able to run faster. ...idiots
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
tuned focus

Fan#: 49569
What I Drive: yellow,blown 2001 zx3

FF Reputation: 4 tuned focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I just did the SVT conversion on my 01 this week.I had no problems with the bolts.Are you wrenching on the bolt head or the nut? If you are doing the nut,it is welded it will not move you have to do the bolt head.I got mine in and out without removing the bolt.just used two pry bars.One on the spring,and one on the suspension.It is tight but once the shock is off.You can get alot of movement out of the suspension.There really isnt that much tension on the rear spring,but you still have to be careful.Watch them fingers.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
He is doing the right part i guarentee it these bolts are a known problem, tuned focus consider yourself one of the FEW lucky ones. Yes you can buy the bolts seperate from the dealer. They are like 7 a peice for the bolt and like the same for the nut. You will have to grind the nut off and make it smooth, cause its welded. As far as the bushings from FS They are about 5 dollars cheaper than a brand new controll arm so you mise well just get a new one from ford.

Bookmarks & Social Networks