Rear sway bar install problems.. PLEASE HELP! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
focusonthis420
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30951
What I Drive: SGM 2012 5dr

FF Reputation: 17 focusonthis420 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
Angry Rear sway bar install problems.. PLEASE HELP!

Alright so i decide to finally install my progress rear sway bar that i bought a month ago. ok, so i unbolted the endlink assemblies on either end then moved on to the U brackets. Right side... nice and easy, both bolts came out fine. On to the left side... bottom bolt came out easily. Moved on the top bolt and wouldnt you know it, the stationary nut or whatever that is welded to the car (that the bolt threads through) snaps free from its weld. Fantastic! So i spent the next hour trying to figure out how to get a wrench or something on that nut so i could unscrew the bolt. After an hour or so and after stripping the hex head of that crappy bolt i finally gave up. Bolted everything back up and left the stock bar on. Only problem now, i have a somewhat loose top bolt holding the left U-bracket. Anyone know of a (easy) way to get to that bolt out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
a cut off wheel or sawzaw
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
focusonthis420
Focus Addict

ok ill try a "sawzall" cuz i know i wont be able to get a cut-off wheel in the small space i have to work with
Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
grahama
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20127
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 grahama Good Standing Member
what about using locking pliers to clamp on and remove the crappy bolt?

I did that when my oil drain bolt stripped
Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
stivo
Hiyadoin'

Fan#: 48389
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT, EAP #1440

FF Reputation: 9 stivo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
use vise grips and liquid wrench if the bolt is frozen. try not to destroy the "nut" in the process, maybe you can get a welder to put it back together for you.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
focusonthis420
Focus Addict

trust me, with the location of this nut, the only access is from the top. you cant get a wrench or vice grips or anything on this thing. i guess a sawzall is my only choice. the exhaust passes right over the top of it, look at your left sway bar U-bracket and you will know what i am talking about

it looks like the picture i have below. i tried to draw a diagram of it the best i can. the nut sits inside that grey opening and you can only get to it from the top since the lower nut blocks any access from the bottom. they both were stationary nuts, but the one broke free from its welds. now the bolt is backed off out of the nut like 1/4 inch or so
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	u-bracket nuts.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	13269  

Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd take it to a muffler shop (if you don't have access to a welder and have that nut welded/tacked back on while its still in the correct location. May prevent a lot of problems later on.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
You could do what geezer said but i wouldnt go threw the trouble. Bolts that are welded dont really need to be welded, they do that for ease of removal..look at the rear LCA bolt (The outside one) that is welded, if you go to ford and ask what to do if its broken they sell you nut and bolt combo for like 15 dollars. I would save time and cash and just go to the hardware store and get a nut and bolt, same size and strength grade and put her on. If your worried bout the welded bolt and such get a lock washer, or after you put then new bolt on the just get it tacked. I would agree with everyone else on trying to salvage it but chances are if it broke the weld trying to take it off its prolly seized badly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.