Duratec Automatic to Manual - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
CapnGnarly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50250
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, 2.3L Duratec

FF Reputation: 7 CapnGnarly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Duratec Automatic to Manual

Well, here comes the honesty. I don't know *much* about cars when it comes to the mechanical sense. I do know wiring and computer systems, however. So to my question:

Right now, I'm driving an '04 ZX3 Duratec 2.3L with ~40k miles on it. It has the stock automatic transmission in it.

Question 1) Is it possible to make this car manual?
Question 2) If so, how hard is it to do?
Question 3) Is this something my normal mechanic can do? Or is this easier than it seems and could be called a "home-project?" (for me, a new intake is doable, but exaust is a little over my head)
Question 4) Approximate cost? And what benefits/losses come with it?

All the help would be GREATLY appreciated, and I'd love to find out more about my car and what it's capable of. Money is an object only when it comes to time. I can get whatever amount, I'm great at saving, it just takes some time for me to do it. If that makes sense...

Thanks much!
-Gnarly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Gnarly, I'd say if you're not comfortable with an exhaust set-up, this could be beyond your comfort zone (at least right now). However, I don't know how many average Joe mechanics would do a tranny swap for ya - if you have someone else do it I would say a dedicated transmission shop would be your best bet. But I'm no expert either!

Otherwise, many people will tell you it's cheaper to trade in/sell your car and buy back one with an MTX. I will say as a 2003 2.3 atx owner, I'm kinda attached to "my" car, and plus they're not all that easy to find... I'm sure in IL this is the case as well.

So, that being said, I think the easiest way to do it is to find a "donor car" where you can steal it's transmission/electronics/any doo-dads that are found to be necessary along the way... instead of having to pick pieces off multiple cars (which would also work, if needed, just more trips).

I'll leave it up to those with more info to help you with the technical side of things. Also, I'm moving this to our new Swaps forum... I believe there's another tranny thread in there already - even if it's not Duratec, you might get some preliminary answers.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Fan#: 46117
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1998 ZX2

FF Reputation: 4 Impaled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you can't do the swap yourself it's not really worth doing, you'd be better off trading the car in for a manual and eating the loss on it.

gonna cost about $1500 for parts needed, if a mechanic does it you're looking at another 1,000-1,700 for labor, it's very labor intensive project.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
homeboyjames
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35230
What I Drive: 07 Black ST Check profile for mods

FF Reputation: 6 homeboyjames Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah i thought about this on my old zx4 so i just traded it in and didnt loose anything sept my upgrades on it and got the stick st cause i went down and got a estimate and it was over 2300 dollars to do this.
-=ST CREW #61=-
-=SEDAN REVOLUTION #77=-

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->