ATX to MTX swap...gonna do it myself - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
gold_zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26015
What I Drive: 2005 Black WRX Sport Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 gold_zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
bump
anything i need to watch out for or have trouble with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
turboed00focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17952
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 turboed00focuszx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I have most of the parts you will need to do this swap.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
the hardest part about pulling the atx out is the driver side axle. look for my howto in the howto section, i think theres like 100 pics or so... very thorough... it was my first time taking a trans out, so if I can do it, you can too.

The hardest part about the swap is the wiring. Apparently its much much easier to just mod the one you have. And if you have an xcal2 you can use it to change you r ecu to a manul and not have to worry about PATS or dealing with Ford.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
gold_zx3
Focus Addict

Yeah, I just checked that how to out...good stuff! I've noticed that the difficulty of the wiring seems to be unanimous. What do I need to mod on the original wiring and what is PATS?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
PATS is the security system that doesnt allow the engine to start unless the correct transmitter is near the steering column. If you change to a manual ECU, you have to get it flashed toyour PATS keys. If you instead just use the xcal2 to change your current ECU, then you dont have to worry about PATS. I believe Ford cahrges $150 to change the PATS on your computer, so you might as well get an xcal for just a little bit more...

SUV this!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Fan#: 46117
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1998 ZX2

FF Reputation: 4 Impaled Good Standing Member
Yeah screw that, don't change the ECU's. As far as wiring goes, all you need to do is splice the OSS to the VSS so your speedo will work. isn't THAT much of a big deal. If you think you've got the know how and capability to drop the tranny and get the new one in there then i'd say by all means go for the swap, the rest of it is just minor details.

Just make sure you've got a spare car and alot of time on your hands, I'll be doing this swap shortly, parts should run me no more then $200, so i don't see how people can tell you to sell your car and get a manual when you'd take such a bigger monetary (and sentimental) loss.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
gold_zx3
Focus Addict

Ok so all I will need to do is splice the OSS to the VSS (what do these stand for by the way?) for the speedo. Then instead of replacing the ECU to a manual one, I can get an Xcal2 and reprogram my current ECU?

Only $200 for all the parts? Nice! I'll have access to one of my dads old work vehicles, and I'll be doing this on the weekends. Hopefully it won't take more than a couple weekends to do this. Anyways Impaled, keep me posted on your progress with your swap!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Yeah as soon as my ZX2 sells i'll be buying what's needed for the swap. I've got a doner car sitting in the junkyard waiting for me to get some monies (Someone buy my car please :D)

The OSS is outside speed sensor, it's what the auto tranny uses to figure out how fast you're going, the manual uses vss or vehical speed sensor, sends speed signal to the ECU, and the wiring is a bit different for the two sensors, nothing some crimps and electrical tape won't fix.

And yeah as far as i know you can just tune out the sensors that are on the auto tranny that'll throw CELs...cause they're missing. Car should work ok without tuning em out, you'll just be throwing a ton of codes.

I'll have xp0sed helping me out with the swap and he's actually done one before so i'm fairly confident it will be relatively painless. I'd very much like to do a FULL write up on the swap so that it can become more then just a pipe dream for a bunch of envious ATX owners.

I'd recommend throwing an aftermarket flywheel and clutch in there while you're doing it...and hell an LSD too if you've got the means...will be glad you did when it's time for the big ponies.

PS Grandma's Boy is the shit, many a smokey nights spent watching that again and again.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Dont forget to fandangle something up for the clutch engaged sensor, otherwise the engine wont start.

SUV this!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
Impaled
Raise the stakes

You don't need a clutch engage sensor. Just there for safety issues (IE you dont turn her over in gear and hop into whatevers infront of you) I've disabled em on all MTX cars i've owned. If you can't remember to make sure you're in neutral when you go to start the car you'd be better off with an automatic!

But i'll worry about that when i get there, good reminder though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks