Help with Duratec turbo research *Super Cereal Thread* - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

Fan#: 8331
What I Drive: 2012 White SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 6 Trav-E2.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Help with Duratec turbo research *Super Cereal Thread*

Wow...First post in this forum, but anyhoo! I wanna build my own D-Tec Turbo. What would all be involve from buying parts from Junk yards, Speed Shops, E-bay, etc. ?

I know I need Turbo, piping, headers, intercooooooooooooooler, tune, etc. but:

1) What size piping should I buy for the turbo and intercooler?

2) What size turbo should I buy and what brand? (I know Garret, but what others are out there?)

3) What size intercooler and what brand?

4) Where can I get the header?

I'm going to get my car dyno tuned by a professional out here in AZ, so I should be fine with that and I'll do the research on that. I wanna get this as cheap as possible, so I can show all the people out there that it's cheaper to DIY . I mean 4 grand on a kit is kinda rediculous if you ask me. I know it's the cost of research and they have it all set to bolt on for you when you buy it, but still......

ANY help will be great!

Thanks,
Travis

Mods: FSwerks Race Exhaust, K&N Typhoon SRI, MS3 CP-E RMM, Tuned By: Tom, Steeda STS, Eibach Sportlines, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and Anarchy Motive GM Shiftknob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

This is gonna take awhile BTW, so time is not of the essance .

Mods: FSwerks Race Exhaust, K&N Typhoon SRI, MS3 CP-E RMM, Tuned By: Tom, Steeda STS, Eibach Sportlines, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and Anarchy Motive GM Shiftknob
Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
fusi0n
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25694
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 fusi0n Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The question you have to ask yourself is how much would you have to save on the project to justify the risk of having something blow up or not fit right or cause problems. The nice thing about a complete kit is that they will generally come with all of the little "insignificant" parts that you (unless you are an experienced mechanic) might forget about.

I'm not sure about the answers to your questions but I know as far as the turbo manifold / downpipe / exhaust is concerned, your best bet is to head to a local exhaust / muffler shop and check with them. They may not be able to do it for you but probably know someone who can.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusi0n View Post
The question you have to ask yourself is how much would you have to save on the project to justify the risk of having something blow up or not fit right or cause problems. The nice thing about a complete kit is that they will generally come with all of the little "insignificant" parts that you (unless you are an experienced mechanic) might forget about.

I'm not sure about the answers to your questions but I know as far as the turbo manifold / downpipe / exhaust is concerned, your best bet is to head to a local exhaust / muffler shop and check with them. They may not be able to do it for you but probably know someone who can.
I'm not "experienced" persay, but I somewhat know my way around the fofo. That's why I'm asking these questions first before I go too heavily into it. I know there is ALOT of knowledge in this forum, cause of the beauty that most of you guys have done to your Foci. <------Seriously!

Here's another question. Does anyone have pics of the full Hi-Boost kit uninstalled and installed? I love that kit for sheer looks and I heard it gives better torque through out the power band than the FS Turbo.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

You know what? Never mind. I just read this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129212

and go ahead and look at my post in it . I would do it if I had THAT much patients and knowledge of cars as that guy does. I may do it in the future, but I would go after a full bolt on kit first...lol

Call me weak all you want, but I know when I'm licked

Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
FleaWannaBe
WHITE ON BLACK :)

Fan#: 45837
What I Drive: 2005 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 FleaWannaBe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you cant have a header and turbo
Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
mighty_mouse
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28775
What I Drive: 2005, White, ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 mighty_mouse Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaWannaBe View Post
you cant have a header and turbo
I believe he meant the turbo manifold considering the statement ""the" header"...

Mouse
[Team Duratec #86] [L.O.T.H #7]
Like MAC products for your Mustang or Focus? Come talk to me, I'll help you out

Bookmarks & Social Networks