Water in passenger foot well after heavy rain 2003 ZX3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Shoreman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50384
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Shoreman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Water in passenger foot well after heavy rain 2003 ZX3

No leak apparent during car wash. No telltale signs to point to door fit, glass fit, area under glove compartment. A goodly pool of water will collect after a steady rain, say 1 and a half full size bath towels' worth. Yes window tightly
closed.
Anybody else have this prob or have an insight into its' solution?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
scalderon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9988
What I Drive: 2001 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 5 scalderon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
have you checked the around the windshield or the cowl
Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yup, it's a known problem. You need to reseal the plastic cowl under the passenger side wiper...
Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Memberb16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Try this:

FORD: 2000-2005 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 02-25-1 to update the vehicle model years and service procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2005 Focus vehicles may exhibit a difficult to diagnose or difficult to repair water leak or A/C system condensation leak condition in the front floor area. This may be caused by sealer skips, loose grommets, mis-positioned seals or condensation leaking from the A/C evaporator case.

ACTION:
Determine if the concern is an A/C condensation leak or a water leak and repair as necessary. Some common water leak locations and repair recommendations are listed in this article to help reduce repair time and increase repair effectiveness.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If possible, ask the customer the following questions to help determine when the leak occurs.
Does leak occur only when A/C is on in high heat/humidity conditions?
If yes, proceed to A/C Condensation Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure.
If no, or customer is unsure, proceed to question b.
Does leak occur when it is raining or when the vehicle is taken through a car wash?
If yes, proceed to Water Leak Testing and Water Inspection/Repair Procedure.
If no, or customer is unsure, proceed to A/C Condensation Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure. If no problem is found proceed to Water Leak Testing and Water Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure.
A/C Condensation Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure

Start the engine and run vehicle with A/C on, in the recirculated air position, with the blower at high speed.
Inspect for condensation leaks coming from the evaporator case area.
If condensation leaks are present replace the evaporator case with Part Number 5S4Z-19B50-BB. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 412-02.
NOTE: DO NOT REPLACE THE EVAPORATOR CASE IF A CONDENSATION LEAK CANNOT BE VERIFIED.

Water Leak Testing Procedure

Using a high pressure water hose or a pressure washer, run water onto the windshield being sure to direct water over the roof ditch moldings, and down onto the cowl (Figure 1).

Open the hood and direct water (from the side of the vehicle) into the base of the A-pillar in the hood hinge area (Figure 2).

Remove right front inner splash shield and direct water into the back of the right front wheel well area (Figure 3). Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-02.
Proceed to Water Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure.

Water leak Inspection/Repair Procedure

Inspect the following areas for visible signs of leaks and follow the appropriate repair steps.

Water is visible at Blower Motor Connector, Blower Motor Resistor, Blower Motor Mounting Flange, or Foot Air Duct:

NOTE: THE MOST LIKELY SOURCE OF THE LEAK IS THE FRESH AIR INTAKE. WATER ENTRY INTO THE AIR INLET HOUSING MAY BE VISIBLE BY LOOKING THROUGH THE RECIRCULATION DOOR AS IT IS OPEN AND CLOSED. TO DO THIS, REMOVE THE GLOVE BOX, TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO THE ON POSITION AND PUSH THE RECIRCULATION BUTTON.

Remove the cowl panel grille and inspect for gaps between the pollen filter housing gasket and sheet metal plenum (2000-2003 model years) or skips in the sealer around the pollen filter housing (2004-2005 model years).
If gaps are present inspect for bent plenum sheet metal flanges and repair as necessary.
Seal around the pollen filter housing perimeter using Clear Silicone Rubber (TA-32).
Water is Visible on Evaporator Case Seal at the Heater Core Inlet/Outlet:

Inspect for a mis-positioned evaporator case seal at the heater core inlet/outlet. Repair as necessary (Figure 4).

Inspect for loose evaporator case housing attachment nuts. Repair as necessary.
Water is Visible in the Right Kick Panel/A-Post Area

NOTE: IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL TO FULLY ACCESS AND REPAIR SOME LEAK SOURCES. FOLLOW WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 501-12 IF INSTRUMENT PANEL REMOVAL IS NECESSARY.

Inspect for sealer skip behind roof ditch moldings. Fold the ditch molding back and inspect for a pinhole in the body seal just above the windshield. Reseal as necessary with Motorcraft Roof Ditch Sealer (TA-15) (Figure 5).

Inspect for wire harness body grommet loose or mis-positioned. Reposition or reinstall grommet as necessary (Figure 6).

Inspect for skip in windshield urethane. Reseal as necessary.
Inspect for sealer skip in A-post to cowl joint. Reseal as necessary (Figure 7).

Inspect for sealer skips between cowl top to bulkhead, just above main harness grommet (Figure 8).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5S4Z-19850-BB A/C Evaporator Case
TA-32 Clear Silicone Rubber
TA-15 Motorcraft Roof Ditch Sealer

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Memberb16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Or this:
FORD: 2000-2003 FOCUS

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2003 Focus vehicles may exhibit water in the Climate Control Heater Blower Motor Case, which can be associated with an inoperable heater blower motor resistor, blower motor, or a blown blower motor fuse.

ACTION:
Inspect and seal the cowl area for water leaks when servicing a blower motor resistor, blower motor, or a blown blower motor fuse. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Perform Workshop Manual Section 412-00: Climate Control System - General Information, Diagnosis And Testing, Climate Control System, Blower Motor Inoperative Pinpoint Tests.
If the blower motor RESISTOR is determined to be inoperable, then replace the blower motor resistor and the blower motor assembly. Proceed to Step 2.
If the BLOWER MOTOR is determined to be inoperable or the blower motor fuse is blown, then replace the blower motor assembly. Proceed to Step 2.
Inspect for water leaks into the fresh air inlet.
For vehicles built before 01/02/2003, inspect for visible gaps between the windshield and the cowl grille (Figure 1). If gaps are present remove and replace the cowl grille, (1S4Z-5402228-CA) per Workshop Manual Section 501-02.
Remove cowl panel, inspect for gaps between pollen filter housing gasket and sheet metal plenum. If present, inspect for studs bent or off center. If off center, use a drill to slot the housing (Figure 2).
Inspect for bent plenum sheet metal flanges, repair as necessary.
Inspect Pollen Filter Housing gasket for damage. If damaged, replace Pollen filter housing (YS4Z-19N619-EA).
If no water leaks are found, then install a Pollen Filter (XS4Z-19N619-AA).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
YS4Z-19805-AB Blower Motor
YS4Z-18591-AA Blower Resistor
XS4Z-19N619-AA Pollen Filter
1S4Z-5402228-CA Cowl Grille
YS4Z-19N619-EA Pollen Filter Housing

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
02-25-1

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only

Figure 1 - Article 03-18-2

Figure 2 - Article 03-18-2

SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

If you need the pics to go along with that, shoot me your email addres on a PM and ill send you the whole TSB

SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
^^Ummm, yeah.....what he said.....lol. Mine did the same thing but only once so I dunno. I might do that when I install the cabin filter.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 09-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bergner View Post
^^Ummm, yeah.....what he said.....lol. Mine did the same thing but only once so I dunno. I might do that when I install the cabin filter.
same here
Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
focuson03
Formerly Focused

Fan#: 556
What I Drive: 2007 Galaxy Gray Mazda3 GT

FF Reputation: 1 focuson03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i had the same thing happen on my old '03 ZX3 as well. happened about 3 times. took it in to have it fixed and it didn't do it again. . .

-Josh
Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #10
jendan2925
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43640
What I Drive: '05 Gray ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 jendan2925 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have the same problem, one time I had almost an inch of water!
I siliconed the cowl on the windshield and it solved the problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks