auto-x in a stock focus? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
LazarusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41107
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LazarusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If anything I say auto-crossing your stock focus is better than autocrossing a modded focus. Start at basics, then work your way up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
honestly all a focus really needs (this will change your class) in my mind is a slight drop and a set of big ass swaybars. the damping is justabout perfect for me, she just feels underspung and wobbly.
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
LazarusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41107
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LazarusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If you really want a straight-up race car, sell your focus. I have spent thousands and I'm still not where I want to be. It's a poor base car for all-out racing, but as something to learn in, something to continue to daily drive, something that looks cool and is a fun car- the focus is perfect.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Strider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46946
What I Drive: 2001, Blue, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Strider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusZX3 View Post
If you really want a straight-up race car, sell your focus. I have spent thousands and I'm still not where I want to be. It's a poor base car for all-out racing, but as something to learn in, something to continue to daily drive, something that looks cool and is a fun car- the focus is perfect.

Maybe the car isn't what you should be spending your money on. The Focus is a great car for starting out and then building up. (the insult was a joke, the Focus comment not at all). Mini's proved themselves to be no match at every event I took my Focus to last summer. I got beat by those damned Rabbits and GTIs, but never a Mini's time. The Focus was slower than the 911s and forced induction cars but DUH!! i did run STS in my last event because I was lowered.

I was disappointed in the acceleration because of the slow revs but beyond that I was very happy. The biggest thing with mine was keeping the RPMs up which meant the unfortunate yet intentional understeer.

And not to correct anyone because I'm far from a pro, but slow is not fast, SMOOTH is fast and while that sometimes translates to slow, it doesn't have to.

My advice to the newbie is to be relaxed and WALK THE COURSE with no fear of asking questions. I've said ths before, but I ALWAYS ran better when I had my sister on the speakerphone riding with me. I tucked it in the visor and found myself describing the course as we went and I wound up talking myself through the next corner every time.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
blacksheepZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52630
What I Drive: 2007 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 blacksheepZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
OK, I bought my base model ZX3 with just this purpose in mind. I also have another car I am building for HPDE, but I will talk about it some other time...

Here are my questions

1) Will adding a rear swaybar move me out of h-stock? Or can I use SVT bars for #1 and stay in H-stock? I think my base model doesnt have one and I would like to help rotate the sucka some :)

2) Will SVT foci springs work on the 07? If so, can I use them and stay in the h-stock class?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheepZX3 View Post
OK, I bought my base model ZX3 with just this purpose in mind. I also have another car I am building for HPDE, but I will talk about it some other time...

Here are my questions

1) Will adding a rear swaybar move me out of h-stock? Or can I use SVT bars for #1 and stay in H-stock? I think my base model doesnt have one and I would like to help rotate the sucka some :)

2) Will SVT foci springs work on the 07? If so, can I use them and stay in the h-stock class?

Thanks!
1.)Some 07 trims come with sway bars.. I believe the SES trims do...? So as long as you don't add a bar bigger than the OEM one you should be fine.. but best ask the people running the autocrosses in your area, and double check on whether the 07 SES trim focii had sway bars.

2.) No, SVT springs will nto work. Ford changed the geometry of the suspension for the 2006 model year.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedOften View Post
1.)Some 07 trims come with sway bars.. I believe the SES trims do...? So as long as you don't add a bar bigger than the OEM one you should be fine.. but best ask the people running the autocrosses in your area, and double check on whether the 07 SES trim focii had sway bars.

2.) No, SVT springs will nto work. Ford changed the geometry of the suspension for the 2006 model year.
I thought stock classes allow you to change swaybars to any size, and dampers to any model. You can also change wheels so long as they are the stock sizes, and run R-compound race tires.

Stock is an odd class - those changes are allowed, but you can't do something as small as changing a shift knob because it might give you an advantage
Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
blacksheepZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedOften View Post

I have the base S model. no swaybar. Have to get reinforcement brackets, I guess!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
blacksheepZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Have been reading a lot today - seems like tokco makes struts and eibach makes springs. No pro damper kit like the 05 and less lucky bastardooz get :)
Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #20
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Nothing from Koni?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->