Headliner Removal and Painting Guide. - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
dorfeater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49992
What I Drive: 2007 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 dorfeater Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Headliner Removal and Painting Guide.

I had trouble finding this information before I did this, so I figure that I would post a how-to. Heres how I did it...

Things you need:

5-6 Cans Fabric Paint, I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric. ($5.99 ea @ Walmart)
Flathead Screwdriver
Torx socket or wrench set. ($10 autozone)
Some sort of glue or really good tape.
Fabric Brush (4.99 @ Fabric store)

Here we go.

Start by removing your visors, dome light, and the little circle plastic things from the headliner near the back of the car. This is pretty easy, it all just pops off or unscrews. If you don't know how to do it, just take your time so you don't break anything, it's not easy to break.

Next, start removing your interior trim, start with the middle piece where the seatbelts are, this just pops off as well, be more careful though, you want to try not to break any clips off. After the middle peice take off the rear and front pieces.

Still pretty easy. Now take off your Oh S handles, there is a guide on how to do this in the how to section. After removing one the headliner should start to come down, support it with something, I used my head.

After you have all the stuff off and your headliner is off of your roof comes the fun part. Getting it out.

First, pull off the wires glued to the top of the headliner, taillights and dome light I believe. Just let them hang for the moment.

NOTE: I have no idea how to do this with a 4door. I have a ZX3 and this worked for me. It didn't seem to me that there was gonna be any way I could get it out through the doors. Moving on.

Goto the rear of your car and pop the hatch. Disconnect the strings that pull the hatch cover up, so that shelf lays flat for you.

Grab your headliner from the back, and flex it inwards

Start feeding it out from the hatch, you WILL bend your headliner, it will make terrible noises and make you feel like you just want to stop there and cry. But dont worry, it wont hurt it unless you put a crease in it.

After you get it all out, now comes time for the painting.

(Extra note, if you want to remove the seat belt trim peice like I did, you need a Torx set to disconnect the seatbelt, it's pretty self explanitory. 1 bolt, nothing more)

So now lets get your materials.

There isn't really any prep needed. Clean it off if it's dirty, but other than that just start out with a light coat and move on.

Heres some pics...

Coat One

Two

This stuff dries really fast, by the time your done painting the whole thing, the top will be dry, so really just give it like 5-10 mins between coats and you'll be good.

After 4 coats I chose to let it sit over night, not only to let it fully dry, but also to try and get the paint odor out. It still smells a little bit like paint, but it's not too bad.

So after that I went on to paint the trim peices.

This is pretty simple, paint them like you would paint any other interior plastic peice. I used 3 coats flat black for the trim, and 3 coats red 3 coats clear for the seat belt peice. Dry overnight.

So... you wake up the next morning and can't wait to get started...

First things first. Take the Fabric Brush you got, and give your headliner a thorough brushing. This will make it nice and smooth again, and wont harm the paint. After you achieve the softness you desire. Lets get ready to reinstall.

Open up all the doors and your hatch. Start out by feeding whatever you can through the hatch, being sure to flex it again. Dont worry the paint holds up pretty well.

After you get the headliner back in the car, dont forget to glue the wires back to it, or tape them, though I haven't found a tape that holds it very well.

Push the headliner up to the roof, and hold it there with your head while re-inserting the Oh S handles. Now you can rest your head and voila! It's in. Put the rest of your trim back together, visors and dome light, and sit back and relax.

Heres what mine looks like now...

It may look like overspray, or that I missed a few spots, I assure you it's just the flash from the camera. It likes to be weird sometimes.

Enjoy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
NJSVTGUY
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46519
What I Drive: 86 GN, 11.1@128, 20 psi

FF Reputation: 8 NJSVTGUY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
The plastic paint works well but I havn't had much luck with the fabric paint.
Kinda dusts off
Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
auto
Made In The USA

Fan#: 42455
What I Drive: Pitch Black 07 ST w/S.A.P.

FF Reputation: 89 auto Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSVTGUY View Post
Kinda dusts off
no trouble with mine....

The sunroof door is marked cause i didn't wait long
enough for it to dry all the way before I put it in. lol

BTW dorfeater nice write up I was gonna do one but haven't had the time.
Looks great I gotta do my door pillars next, finally found the finish I wanted.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
ChuckDee
stock status

Fan#: 43589
What I Drive: from '07-11: black Zts

FF Reputation: 48 ChuckDee Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
cool write up. im going to do the same to my interior. my foci is blk but interior im goin 2 do a "cookies and cream" color scheme
Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
dorfeater
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSVTGUY View Post
Kinda dusts off
Yeah I didn't really have that problem, like I said I took the very stiff fabric brush to it for a good 15 mins and all it did was make it smooth like cloth again, I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
NJSVTGUY
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46519
What I Drive: 86 GN, 11.1@128, 20 psi

FF Reputation: 8 NJSVTGUY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Well the rest of the story is I tried it on carpeting. Headliner I bought fabric on Ebay and recovered. I then tries fabric dye on the carpet and turned it into a total mess.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
zx360
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
im ganna do the same, but i dont want the pillars black i want them the color of the dash to match it all together... then the black head liner....

instagram @360DSGNS
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
dorfeater
Focus Enthusiast

The black I used actually dried matching color to the dash, kind of a dark grey / faded black. Matches really well I was shocked. For a even lighter color you could just do 2 coats... or just buy gray paint. You can tell in the pictures, but I think it's only because of the flash from the camera... when your in the car, it's so hard to tell the difference between the dash and the pillars. In fact, the other day someone was looking at my interior, and they had no idea I painted it, they thought it came from the factory like that.... the door trim that is.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
sjdwales
Wales!!

Fan#: 46854
What I Drive: 11 mustang

FF Reputation: 13 sjdwales Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
thats nice. now unfortunately i want to do that to my car. grrrrrrrr
Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Djmike2485

Fan#: 3230
What I Drive: Silver 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 4 Dr.

FF Reputation: 6 Djmike2485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Does anybody know how to do this to a sedan? I would have thought the headliner was put in before the windshield went in at the factory. I'm not a big fan of painting it in the car. hmmph.

Bookmarks & Social Networks