STREET RACING - A Rant and a WARNING - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #51
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post
A swing and a miss! Most of the discussion thus far has been on the content and perceived attitude contained in your first post, not street racing. You employed self-admitted deception to jump start open and honest conversation??? I applaud your goals, but I still feel that your methods are lacking and are working against you.

I agree with this. If your just regulating the rules then thats one thing, but it's obvious that you have a personal vendetta against street racing. You talk about your responsibility as a moderator, well part of that responsibility is being able to regulate the rules without passing judgment on a personal level.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #52
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchcitySVT View Post
I agree with this. If your just regulating the rules then thats one thing, but it's obvious that you have a personal vendetta against street racing. You talk about your responsibility as a moderator, well part of that responsibility is being able to regulate the rules without passing judgment on a personal level.
That's probably the best argument I've heard.

Let me say that I don't have a "vendetta". Rather the whole practice of street racing makes no sense to me.

That said, some of my comments were out of line.

For that I APOLOGIZE to the focus fanatics Community.

I hope that you accept the apology and we can move on. If I am wrong, I am the first to admit it. I really enjoy being part of this community and realize that I probably alienated and definitely offended many. Once again, I am sorry.

In the future, I will keep my opinions to myself and I will not let any bias I have creep into my responsibilities as a Mod.

Thanks gang.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Old 09-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #53
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23692
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF, 2003 G35, 2001 Audi S4

FF Reputation: 5 DirtyDeeds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
That's probably the best argument I've heard.

Let me say that I don't have a "vendetta". Rather the whole practice of street racing makes no sense to me.

That said, some of my comments were out of line.

For that I APOLOGIZE to the focus fanatics Community.

I hope that you accept the apology and we can move on. If I am wrong, I am the first to admit it. I really enjoy being part of this community and realize that I probably alienated and definitely offended many. Once again, I am sorry.

In the future, I will keep my opinions to myself and I will not let any bias I have creep into my responsibilities as a Mod.

Thanks gang.
I can only speak for myself, but I am neither alienated or offended. I do believe that you had the best of intentions. And I do hope that outside of your moderator duties, you will continue to offer your opinions. I find that they are based on solid experience and bring value to this forum.

Ed

Old 09-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #54
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Ed -

I appreciate that. Rest assured, I will speak my mind and offer experience where I can.

Thanks,

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #55
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I am neither alienated or offended about anything I do feel that you need to open up to a whole new world out there this thing that is known as "street racing" now days and that goes on between 2 yahoos from a stop light is far from true street racing , True street racing is rarely seen and almost never heard of

I no longer do it and havent for years because I now have far to much to loose but back in the day you went to a town and sat then they would come find you just by people in the crouds talking you would look over what each other had shoot some bull ,some one would hold the money and the few that knew about it 6 to 10 cars would head off to the country somewhere , here it use to be Westinghouse Blve a half finished buisness park about a half mile long well lit

Now days its kids or young adults taking off from a street light wiping out half a family doing it. Streets are to crouded now days and as you stated many times it does need to be done at a track but PLEASE dont lump ALL street racing in with whats going on with youngsters and idiots doing this on buisy roads

QUOTE "Here you are dead wrong. Speed doesn't kill - poor judgement does. If a vehicle traveling at 70 MPH in a 35 MPH zone runs a red light and hits car, the speed didn't cause the fatality. It was a contributor, not the cause. the cause was poor judgement to travel at excessive speed and running the light. The same applies to street racing. Two cars on a stretch of road and someone pulls out and gets killed. It wasn't the speed it was lack of judgement and the decision to participate in an illegal speed contest that caused the fatality. You street race. I KNOW that you have stories of where you've seen near misses, heard of people getting hurt, and worse. I KNOW that.
No im sorry I dont agree at all in all the cases you listed if the speeder was going 36MPH no one would of got hurt and he still would of used bad judgement for running the red light or 2 guys racing , It the speed the does the damage to the car and the bodys

And your correct I have seen wrecks , I have seen 2 racing get togather and have seen some get hurt but with what we use to do it was NEVER some one that was watching or that was passing by allways a driver in a race or why getting ready working on the car , But today isnt like the days gone by and they never will be altho the big money races still happen and now and then with a Customer I go watch I do 1 0 0 % AGREE that people now days need to find a safe off the street outlet for racing

As allways I like to hear everyones opinions good bad or other wise there is no way for everyone to agree on everything and thats understandable and i accept that so keep it coming

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #56
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Really folks its not that hard to follow those guidelines. We've laid out the rules as clearly as possible. Bottom line; if you've participated in a race that does not involve a track then don't post your location, speed, or any reference that will insinuate you are breaking the law.

Good Example:
I raced a 350z for half a mile and beat it by two car lengths. = That would be within the rules.

Bad Example:
I raced a 350z up to 55mph from a stoplight and beat it by two car lengths. = That would be breaking the rules.

I think the moderators have been more than generous with the way they dealt with some of the posts on here. We have rules posted all over the place yet some people still refuse to follow the guidelines.
Having been banned for conduct before, I can assure you ALL that the MODS involved in racing threads do what they are supposed to. If anything, yes sometimes do get taken to far then a MOD steps in and people freak. When I was banned I was asking for it, literally. Because a few of my posts on a very personal subject were removed, and not within the guidelines for removal. After some breathing time I apologized to the community and Tom, and I was reinstated. Do that particular MOD and I have issues still, lets just say we dont talk much. But as a whole the community was correct in action in accordance with the guidelines. Opinions are what lead to break throughs in automobiles, so lets not stiffle opinions, maybe just a few facts, like the ones that could send us to JAIL!!! Lets NOT post those three things and were all good!!

I raced about 6 cars last night, beat all of them, and at least five of them knew about it!!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #57
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I am neither alienated or offended about anything I do feel that you need to open up to a whole new world out there this thing that is known as "street racing" now days and that goes on between 2 yahoos from a stop light is far from true street racing , True street racing is rarely seen and almost never heard of

I no longer do it and havent for years because I now have far to much to loose but back in the day you went to a town and sat then they would come find you just by people in the crouds talking you would look over what each other had shoot some bull ,some one would hold the money and the few that knew about it 6 to 10 cars would head off to the country somewhere , here it use to be Westinghouse Blve a half finished buisness park about a half mile long well lit

Now days its kids or young adults taking off from a street light wiping out half a family doing it. Streets are to crouded now days and as you stated many times it does need to be done at a track but PLEASE dont lump ALL street racing in with whats going on with youngsters and idiots doing this on buisy roads

QUOTE "Here you are dead wrong. Speed doesn't kill - poor judgement does. If a vehicle traveling at 70 MPH in a 35 MPH zone runs a red light and hits car, the speed didn't cause the fatality. It was a contributor, not the cause. the cause was poor judgement to travel at excessive speed and running the light. The same applies to street racing. Two cars on a stretch of road and someone pulls out and gets killed. It wasn't the speed it was lack of judgement and the decision to participate in an illegal speed contest that caused the fatality. You street race. I KNOW that you have stories of where you've seen near misses, heard of people getting hurt, and worse. I KNOW that.
No im sorry I dont agree at all in all the cases you listed if the speeder was going 36MPH no one would of got hurt and he still would of used bad judgement for running the red light or 2 guys racing , It the speed the does the damage to the car and the bodys

And your correct I have seen wrecks , I have seen 2 racing get togather and have seen some get hurt but with what we use to do it was NEVER some one that was watching or that was passing by allways a driver in a race or why getting ready working on the car , But today isnt like the days gone by and they never will be altho the big money races still happen and now and then with a Customer I go watch I do 1 0 0 % AGREE that people now days need to find a safe off the street outlet for racing

As allways I like to hear everyones opinions good bad or other wise there is no way for everyone to agree on everything and thats understandable and i accept that so keep it coming

Tom
OK. I concede that I do not know what "true street racing", but at the same time I have trouble separating it from the "garden variety".

Both take place on public roads - apparently. In my mind, that makes them bad things.

That simple.

Regardless of the venue, be it a blocked off road or a sanctioned race course, there is always risk. On this, I think we can agree.

That said, in my mind, the risk goes up exponentially when people chose to race on a public highway.

That in of itself is cause for concern.

Quote:

In essence, you proved my point.

Speed wasn't the factor that caused the accident. It was running the red light. Had the subject heeded the traffic signal, then the incident would not have occured. As a result, the speed is no longer relevant.

In the early 1970's, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) did a study where they examined accident data from high risk areas. In each case, they concluded that speed was a contributing factor to fatalities, not the cause.

Still, because of people like Ralph Nader, speed was the easiest scapegoat. the insurance lobby and others paid heavily into the pockets of legislators to pass the 55MPH national speed limit. You will see that in recent years, many states have raised the speed limits on interstates to as high as 75 MPH ( or in the case of Wyoming, "Safe and Prudent"). The reason being is that the data comparing accidents occuring at 55 MPH vs. 75 MPH were not factors. It was the decision making process or inattentiveness of drivers that caused the incident/fatality.

One final point on this subject. The counter argument to the 55 MPH speed limit was called "principle 42" (or something like that) that basically stated that no individual will ever drive faster or slower than their comfort level. Obviously, people are different. For my mother, that threshold is a minimum of 35 MPH and no more than 60 MPH ( between us, she can be a menace sometimes ). For others, the minimum is 50 MPH and a maximum of 93 MPH. The point is that for the speeds between the minimum and the maximum, the driver is most aware and least likely to have an accident - on a highway. That is a key point, because city streets have lights, and side streets where additional risk gets introduced.

Those studies continue today. I and many others, play the "woulda coulda shoulda" game and wish for a European model like the autobahn where stretches of road do not have speed limits (it is a common misconception that autobahn means no speed limit). The reason for the success of the autobahn program is the distance between exit and on ramps. This limits congestion and the possibility of driver "interaction". The hard reality is that in the US, we do not have the training regime in place, the discipline, but most importantly, the infrastructure to support high speed travel (the exception being the extreme West).

However, that is a whole other discussion.

The point being is that when you take a vehicle travelling at 100 MPH, that vehicle is covering the length of a football field every 2 seconds. Combine that with the lack of training (I am not bashing driver ability - but rather using the average schmoe) that US drivers receive to become licensed, then there is NO time to identify, calculate and react to a situation.

So, how does this relate to street racing?

1. The environment doesn't support the practice because of to many variables being introduced (i.e. traffic not associated with the competition).

2. Because the environment allows for additional risk factors, participants have little or no time to react to a threat.

3. The lack of logistics and safety support increase the bodily risk to participants, spectators and bystanders if something goes wrong.

4. I won't get into the legality of the issue because we all know those rules and the potential consequences.

So,there you have it...

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #58
svt2nv04
SVT Fanatic

Fan#: 16592
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT; 1572 of 1978

FF Reputation: 31 svt2nv04 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
well i'm hardly ever in the racing section but have been keeping up with this hilarious thread. i wandered around a bit and read a thread on a zx3/rsx and was going to post up something informative just to find out it was locked

Old 09-28-2007, 03:52 AM   #59
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
i wish people up here knew what real street racing is. i hate cruising the ave circuits justto get on the return route and have some ricer integra bounce revs and shift next to me wanting me to go at it. that said the cops really don't hve the right ideawhen it comes to friday night. they all stay on the main drag (crowd control for all the bars) and the return run becomes a dragstrip. with several cars going way too fast on the street (the road looks like one in a warzone) there are usually a few crashes in month. in fact a really clean turboed celica hita pole last week due too exessive speeds on a really crappy road. but some people never learn till it's too late and they are in a wheel chair. myself i'd rathe just cruise, especially with my 19's
will it run soon?? who knows.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:58 AM   #60
josejsanchez
MW2 NE1?

Fan#: 45194
What I Drive: 04 cd silver svtf

FF Reputation: 3 josejsanchez Good Standing Member
werd
#910 OF #1978

just call me beaver

Closed Thread