STREET RACING - A Rant and a WARNING - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #31
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think that post that encourage behavior detrimental to this web site (i.e: can get them sued) are wrong, but at this point it's obvious that FF does not condone this type of behavior. If someone wants to tell a story along the guide lines set by this forum, then they should be able to do so without judgment by the Moderators. I know that not everyone agrees with it, but if your following the rules then there should be no "nose looking." I grew up in a place were we did not have a track ,so a closed off back road was the safest place we could do it. Even though it may not be an "official track", if someone is showing the effort to make it as safe as possible , then it should be allowed. A closed course is a closed course even if it's no suppose to be closed. Our Moderators do a great job ,but lets not let personal beliefs apprehend us from doing so.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

Last edited by witchcitySVT; 09-24-2007 at 08:06 PM.
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #32
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,362, Level 100
Points: 51,362, Level: 100 Points: 51,362, Level: 100 Points: 51,362, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Just so everyone understands my "rant" wasent against the rules I think there there and in place and should be held up and the Mods are doing a great job at it .

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #33
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetchx View Post
All I can say is Rankin Rd in Houston. For any real old shcoolers in Houston Rankin Rd is where you probably learned to race, its where you probably first learned to run from the cops too because for the last 30 years this has been an illeagel Street Racing road.

Tom thank you for your thoughts on this topic. I and many others could not have said it better.

WeeAsp your a Mod and with that Job comes the fact that your not always going to be liked, do your job and enforce the rules and who cares what people call you. YOUR A MOD
Holy crap I can't believe I missed this post. Rankin Rd is where I truly lined up for the first time. When I was in high school in Houston (Westbury Senior High) In the early 90's ,there were no "street nights". Rankin is all we had. God this brings back memories. You could not talk smack , if you had nothing to back it up with and just a fast car was not going to cut it. You better know how to drive. Sorry for the thread jack down memory lane.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #34
tiresmoker
What bump stop?

Fan#: 20426
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 Turbo, '06 ST Turbo

Points 5,063, Level 45
Points: 5,063, Level: 45 Points: 5,063, Level: 45 Points: 5,063, Level: 45
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 tiresmoker Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchcitySVT View Post
I think that post that encourage behavior detrimental to this web site (i.e: can get them sued) are wrong, but at this point it's obvious that FF does not condone this type of behavior. If someone wants to tell a story along the guide lines set by this forum, then they should be able to do so without judgment by the Moderators. I know that not everyone agrees with it, but if your following the rules then there should be no "nose looking." I grew up in a place were we did not have a track ,so a closed off back road was the safest place we could do it. Even though it may not be an "official track", if someone is showing the effort to make it as safe as possible , then it should be allowed. A closed course is a closed course even if it's no suppose to be closed. Our Moderators do a great job ,but lets not let personal beliefs apprehend us from do so.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I said earlier. Even though I strongly dislike street racing, I can't let my personal feeling get in the way of doing my job.

Obviously there will be instances that people want to tell a tale of the car they just ran against, and as long as they follow the rules the tread will remain open. This also goes for everyone posting in the thread as well.

Just keep it clean and follow the guidelines guys, that's all we ask.
ST Crew #19
2006 ST Turbo: JUNE 07 ROTM 2007 Ride of the Year
2000 ZX3: superturbochargedpartscar
2005 Shinka RX-8: too many mods....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT
It was like concentrated death on chicken
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #35
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Well im sorry this is the BIGGEST bunch of BS i have read about street racing it goes to prove that you dont like it but have never done it yet you break driving laws all the time

You SOUND like you sit on your polished throne and like you said "I WILL look down my nose at any and ALL" The rules say not to talk about "street racing" do we really need you .01 about your opinions about it and how you feel like your better then those that do street race

Im guessing you never go above the speed limit? allways come to a 100% stop at all stop signs, obay ALL trafic laws NO YOU DONT no one does but do I look down my nose at you , what makes you better going 5 over the limit or me going 50 over the limit were both breaking the same laws

Now to answer your questions , did you know the first drag race as well as Nascar race even held was done on the street and for almost 50 years (drag racing) was kept that way

"If some of us, as part of this online community, participate or continue to participate in illegal racing then we ALL suffer"

**How am I suffering from you street racing?

1. What does it prove?
**I have nothing to prove to anyone only to my self , some people do this for the money

2. If my ego is THAT important, then maybe I should think about backing it up with something beyond folklore?
**You keep thinking its an ego thing and it isnt , not for some anyway
Folklore ? ? ? you need to get out more

3. Am I or my car REALLY that good?
** YES !

4. Is the risk worth the pay-off of a "good story"?
** Again a "good story" what is that , true street racing is rarely talked about dont group some kid out here trying to out run a honda with nothing done to either car known as a "kill" as street racing IT ISNT

I go and have gone to the track events and got the trophy and the winning money that doesent even cover the cost of fuel let alone tires or expences getting there before people got to know my car I could go 20 miles and pick up 1000 a night or more

TRUE street racing is serious buisness with serious cars and in most cases done under somewhat controled conditions with guys with some common sence and most of the time for big money 1000 to 10,000 $ or pink slips where do you think Pinks started ?

This "kill" crap starting off from a street light is whats dangerous done with unqualified drivers in cars with little to nothing done to them in an area covered with innocent bistanders

There 2 TOTALLY Diff things that shouldnt be grouped togather but for safety on the Forums it needs to be done and that is understandable for liability and safety

Now saying all that 99.9% of the people that are on FF dont need to be racing on the street , streets are to crouded now and to many onlookers to be hurt it isnt like 20 years ago do your racing on the track is the best and safest for everyone

But I sure wont be the one to throw the first stone ! And I wont look down my nose at them either

Tom
YAY !!!

I knew that my post would bring to a head an HONEST and forthright discussion about street racing.

I concede that a lot of what I posted was purposely inflamatory and maybe even baited a few people.

Before I go further - NIKITER. I never took offense to the Nazi comment. Well, OK, maybe a little, but that was not the purpose of this thread.

I posted this to promote an honest discussion. Some may say that it has been beat to death, but there are some topics that prove there is no horse "too dead to flog". That and I DO believe that it is important to make people aware of the LEGAL options available to them. It's that simple.

I'll start with Tom's points above that I've bolded because he presents good arguments (in terms of history and culture).

Quote:
have never done it yet you break driving laws all the time

If you will notice, I mentioned that as enthusiasts, we all enjoy "spirited driving". If you stay within the rules of the forum ( as I also stated ) then you have no worries.

Quote:
your better then those that do street race

Yep. In my mind and that of many others, there is NO justification whatsoever for racing a car on a public highway - regardless of how remote when there are other options available to you. Prove it on a track. The streets become a place of folklore. Show me a time slip in order for any claim to be credible.

Quote:
Im guessing you never go above the speed limit? allways come to a 100% stop at all stop signs, obay ALL trafic laws NO YOU DONT

Depending on traffic conditions, sure I do to keep from getting killed. Speeds North of the posted limit are often necessary to keep up with the pace of traffic, but that isn't the argument. Stop at all stop signs - ABSOLUTELY. Especially when in VA it could cost you as much as $1300 for rolling through one. Disobeying traffic laws as part of your normal commute is a far cry from lining up on a public street and hammering down to win $50 or $1000 dollars. Furthermore, in principle they may be the same - that I concede - but 5 vs. 50 or 100 MPH in excess of the posted limit are not even in the same universe.

Quote:
did you know the first drag race as well as Nascar race even held was done on the street and for almost 50 years (drag racing) was kept that way

Yes. I do know that, but I don't see many NASCAR drivers on the street. The racing culture has evolved over the last 50 years or so with motorsports becoming as popular as other sports. The movement had to start somewhere and with the current environment being what it is, there is AMPLE opportunity to do it legally that far outweighs the need to do it on a public street. In years past, I watched street races, and to a certain degree, recognize that it is the root of much of the appeal for racing. My GREATER point is that with so much opportunity, it is no longer a necessary evil.

Quote:
How am I suffering from you street racing?

You personally may not. However, what about the enthusiast who expends A LOT of time and energy into making their car competitive on the track? The stigma of a hot car exists now, and possibly for a long time to come, exists. This is something that - especially younger generations, have to contend with every day on their way to and from work/school. Does it make it right? No, but as I stated, perception is reality and unless we take a proactive role in combating the image of "street racers", then the innocent suffer.

Quote:
You keep thinking its an ego thing and it isnt , not for some anyway Folklore ? ? ? you need to get out more

If it's not ego, then what is it? Every street racer that I've ever known has a full time job. They don't race to put food on the table. It's a dangerous and unnecessary "hobby".

Quote:
Am I or my car REALLY that good? TRUE street racing is serious buisness with serious cars and in most cases done under somewhat controled conditions with guys with some common sence and most of the time for big money 1000 to 10,000 $ or pink slips where do you think Pinks started?

Of that, I have no doubt. At the same time, then put yourself and the car into a legal environment where you can get real exposure beyond just the crowd that meets at the Burger King every Saturday night. The amount that you invest to go race on the street is more than sufficient to make you competitive on a local or even the national scene.

As for Pinks...I applaud the show. They appeal to the street racer, but then take the same level of ego and competition to a LEGAL environment. If the show the produce entices even ONE street racer to come out and test themselves and their equipment then the benefit far outweighs the sacrifce of losing a ride.

Quote:
Now saying all that 99.9% of the people that are on FF dont need to be racing on the street

My point exactly.

Quote:
But I sure wont be the one to throw the first stone ! And I wont look down my nose at them either

As I said before, many of my comments were purposely inflamatory.

Do I look down my nose? To a large extent I do. The biggest reason for that is that over the years, many street racers refuse to put their cars on a track because they feel that it is "too dangerous". Sanctioned tracks are infinitely safer than a public road. I don't think that anyone will question that a controlled environment (closed/blocked off road or not) is safer because of the presence of EMS services and the impossibility of traffic wandering into the event.

Look, I know that with this post, I didn't make a lot of friends and even potentially alienated some people. However, the point that I was trying to make is that

YOU HAVE OPTIONS

The "holier than thou" comments I made were designed to get people talking and maybe even look introspectively at themselves. Do I enjoy the occasional "spirited drive"? Of course I do! I wouldn't be much of an enthusiast if I didn't.

The other thing is the rules that Tom put forward about posting threads about street racing. The rules are pretty clear. If you violate them, the thread gets locked.

Just keep that in mind. That's all! If this post makes you think twice about saying you did' 7,000 MPH on I-95 against a Bugatti Veyron, then it accomplished it's purpose.

I'll close by saying that myself and the moderator staff are committed to encouraging legal and sanctioned racing events. At the same time, while we don't condone it, we ask that you abide by the rules so that there isn't resentment if we lay down a thread lock.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #36
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I don't have a problem with street racing threads getting locked down. What gets under my skin is when someone asks "how fast can my Focus go" or "what is the top speed of a Focus" and it gets shut down. This has been a point I've made in the past; if any and all threads relating to the mention of violating any traffic law (which seems to be the grounds for having a thread locked down) down to the tiniest infraction are banned across the entire forum, then there should be something clearly posted in the general forum rules, not just a sticky in the "General Racing" subforum.

I've seen threads related to technical top speed in the technical chat and Zetec/SPI/SVT/Duratec subforums shut down with moderators saying that its clearly posted in a sticky in the racing forum as if the only people who don't know about it are blind, illiterate or dumb. Personally, I don't frequent the racing subforum(s), and to blast someone who asks a purely innocent question with "don't you know these posts aren't allowed? Didn't you read the sticky?!?" (especially when the person in question has been a board member for a few weeks and has less than 50 posts) is poor forum moderation. You'd have a leg to stand on if the rules were clearly posted, but when you bury the sticky post in a relatively obscure subforum that everyone doesn't frequent then don't be surprised when people -especially new people- routinely violate it.

And just like every other time I've brought this up, I'm sure I'll have a half of the moderators all over my ass by this time tomorrow for daring to point out that there might be a flaw with the way this place is run. It'll get turned around from me saying "hey, why don't you guys make this rule more visible" to "you just want to allow illegal street racers to post whatever they want without regulation." So, before you guys jump all over me and threaten to permanently ban me (again), please read the following: I am not saying that illegal street racing threads should be allowed, just that the rule(s) concerning such threads should be clearly posted where everyone can see them and not buried in a subforum three-quarters of the way down the front page.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #37
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
I don't have a problem with street racing threads getting locked down. What gets under my skin is when someone asks "how fast can my Focus go" or "what is the top speed of a Focus" and it gets shut down. This has been a point I've made in the past; if any and all threads relating to the mention of violating any traffic law (which seems to be the grounds for having a thread locked down) down to the tiniest infraction are banned across the entire forum, then there should be something clearly posted in the general forum rules, not just a sticky in the "General Racing" subforum.

I've seen threads related to technical top speed in the technical chat and Zetec/SPI/SVT/Duratec subforums shut down with moderators saying that its clearly posted in a sticky in the racing forum as if only people who don't know about it are blind, illiterate or dumb. Personally, I don't frequent the racing subforum(s), and to blast someone who asks a purely innocent question with "don't you know these posts aren't allowed? Didn't you read the sticky?!?" (especially when the person in question has been a board member for a few weeks and has less than 50 posts) is poor forum moderation. You'd have a leg to stand on if the rules were clearly posted, but when you bury the sticky post in a relatively obscure subforum that everyone doesn't frequent then don't be surprised when people, especially new people, routinely violate it.

And just like every other time I've brought this up, I'm sure I'll have a half of the moderators all over my ass by this time tomorrow for daring to point out that there might be a flaw with the way this place is run. It'll get turned around from me saying "hey, why don't you guys make this rule more visible" to "you just want to allow illegal street racers to post whatever they want without regulation." So, before you guys jump all over me and threaten to permanently ban me (again), please read the following: I am not saying that illegal street racing threads should be allowed, just that the rule(s) concerning such threads should be clearly posted where everyone can see them and not buried in a subforum three-quarters of the way down the front page.
SKA -

I completely agree with you in the sense that theoretical discussions should be allowed to continue.

As an example, just this week, I posted a comment relative to how to remove the top speed limiter from a stock tune.

My comments were posted in the context of "what purpose does removing the governor serve?"

On most road courses and public highways, you simply run out of room for this to become a practical exercise.

That said, if someone boasts about running their car up to 145 MPH on an Interstate, then that's grounds for a lock.

I will concede that the rules aren't readily obvious, but it is incumbent upon the membership to look for it.

The Moderator team works within the confines of the rules and the technology on the web site to create "stickies" that lay down the acceptable behavior.

More often than not, this guidance is ignored. In large part, that's why I made this post.

As for the personal "ban hammer" being focused on you, I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

While some of your posts may be controversial, they are - for the most part, healthy.

I say this not to patronize, but to illustrate a point. If you have a positive perspective that isn't abusive, follows the rules (we mods try to make it a point to make the membership know when they step out of bounds before issuing infractions) and is on topic then life is good.

With respect to making the rules more visible, I'm not sure how we can do that beyond the sticky threads or sending a PM to those who cross the line.

I am more than willing to consider suggestions to make this easier for the membership.

That said, throwing rocks without offering a suggestion holds minimal value.

Tell us how you would like to see things posted and the rules by which they should be enforced.

I can't guarantee that they will be accepted, but if the argument has logic then I - and others - will step up and make corrections where appropriate.

Not to sound cliche'd, but this is a community and in order to properly function as such, then we need feedback on how we can do better.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 09-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #38
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Trust me, I've suggested this before - well before you joined the forum. It got to the point where one of the senior mods threatened to ban me if "you don't like the rules," even though I never said the rule needed to go away. After that, I got the impression that the only feedback welcome on here is glowingly positive "OMG THIS IS TEH BEST FORUM ON TEH INTERWEBS!!!!!11", so ever since I've always been careful to state that I don't want to change the rules.

And I'm not trying to be a wiseass here, but look at the top panel, just below the forum affiliate ad banner and the breakdown of what forum/thread you are in. Second one over from the left; Forum Rules. That page contains pretty much every other topic that is outright banned; vulgar language, personal attacks, lengthy signatures, commercialism, etc. Why not add "illegal street racing" to it? Also, I used to run my own forum on vBulletin out of an old Pentium III rig set up in my friend's closet...I know this software pretty well and based on my experience with PHP-based forum software it wouldn't be too hard to copy the existing sticky to all applicable forums where it might come up (obviously it wouldn't come up in, say, the forum help & feedback or B-S-T forums.)
Old 09-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #39
DFv2
WWTPD?

Fan#: 42684
What I Drive: 2008 Lightning Red STi

FF Reputation: 31 DFv2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Friendly Feedback:
State your opinions without the word "warning". Do not threaten your FELLOW members. State your opinion as a fellow member. You come off looking incredibly arrogant regardless of your track resume. It's obvious you're passionate about racing, and I respect that. I'd just recommend a less abrasive method of voicing your opinion.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #40
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrBoostalot View Post
Friendly Feedback:
State your opinions without the word "warning". Do not threaten your FELLOW members. State your opinion as a fellow member. You come off looking incredibly arrogant regardless of your track resume. It's obvious you're passionate about racing, and I respect that. I'd just recommend a less abrasive method of voicing your opinion.
Completely agree and as some of the threads posted ( including your own ), the tone was threatening and could be perceived as arrogant.

That said, my purpose was to illicit an honest discussion.

If my comments were (OK, are) abrasive, then it served its purpose.

Too often, regardless of the topic, people tip-toe around an issue in order to remain politically correct.

I, on occasion, tend to bring things to the forefront not by knocking on doors, but by kicking them in.

In my opinion, this is a necessary and VITAL discussion that we as a community need to hold.

If that means offending some, then that needs to be done in order for them to speak out.

I am not so close minded ( as I said before - some comments were inflamatory ) as to think that I can put myself or others on higher ground based on my opinion alone, but rather to incite people enough to voice a counter opinion.

I think that I have done that, along with others, to demonstrate perspective.

Regardless of the manner in which it was conducted, the point is that people are talking.

Without that level of communication, then the issue becomes the monster in the closet that people refuse to confront.

SKA -

Without getting into the mechanics in a public setting ( although you are certainly entitled to do so ), send me a PM with your suggestions and I will float them and where applicable, try to put them into practice where all will benefit.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.