Under Hood Temps Project - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
mr.squatch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Under Hood Temps Project

Hey all, check out the thread about header wrap and see the debate we have going... It's the same as many other debates, lots of opinions, no hard facts....As a result I've started a simple project that will help clear up a few mysteries...as follows

I'm doing a test project that can give definitive answers to a lot of questions in the focus tuning community. I've purchased a few $10 digital readout thermometers from walmart and placed them in the engine compartment. Right now the temp sender is on the fuse box next to where the short ram filter would be. I've been writing down outside temps, and then logging high/low temps and keeping track of what kind of driving was used to get the numbers. I'll do it for a week, then change location to in the fender where some short ram/cai's pull from and do that for a week or so, then different locations. I'm back to the stock head-->flex configuration right now, so I figured it was a good time. When the new header comes in i'll do it all over again, then I'm going to wrap the header and do it all again. A few others have volunteered $10 and some effort to help me get some numbers off different cars so i can have reliable information. The thermometers can be found at any walmart or kmart in the section with toilet seats/light bulbs. There are 3 to choose from with different features starting at $10 and going up to $20. They have a digital readout that can be mounted on the dash/steering column and a 10 foot cord going to a small sending unit. The readout can tell you inside the car temp, under hood temp and keeps track of high low that you can reset after each trip while you're writing down the results. I have a few other mods that may affect it too, so it may take some time to complete. I'd like to find some ppl with hood scoops or other variables to participate too.

This should help answer which cai's and short rams make what kind of difference, it should also help with designs of hood scoops, the importance of header wrap, blah blah blah. I'll do a big writeup when its all thru and hopefully we can end all these "my cai is the best" questions/answers once and for all. As we stand right now, 99% of the ppl think the one they have is best because it's simply better than stock and because somebody told them it was the best.

Anyways, any help greatly appreciated. thanks yo's

g

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '13 Taffeta White Civic Si Sedan

Points 184,946, Level 100
Points: 184,946, Level: 100 Points: 184,946, Level: 100 Points: 184,946, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Great! I can't wait to see your results.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
I think this is an awesome project.

One point of concern: that $10 readout... will it handle the temperatures it's going to see underhood? I am assuming, since you got it in the housewares department, that it's really intended as nothing more than an indoor/outdoor thermometer which wasn't intended to ever read more than about 120F or so (that would be in Phoenix in the summer). Exposure to higher temps (yeah, it WILL get hotter than that underhood, trust me) might throw it off, or destroy it completely. I guess you'll find out!

Calibration is another issue. It can be checked at low temp by stuffing an insulated cup with ice (like a travel coffee mug) then adding water, and dunking the sensor in. This will give you a fluid at precisely 32F, so you can check whether the readout also says 32F at that point.

On the high end, a boiling water bath can give you another reference point to check - and if you do this, you'll also find out whether it can withstand 212F ! Incidentally, water boils at 212F at sea level. If you live at altitude you have to subtract a correction factor which I can help you with if you want.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
fokuzsport
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 418
What I Drive: Pitch black FoKuZ zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzsport Good Standing Member
yeah this ought to be interesting....
Old 05-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
FucusUnderground
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2637
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 5 FucusUnderground Good Standing Member
I too am very interested in this project. Can't wait to see results! This is why I love this forum; it's not full of people who think they know everything, but instead get out there and do research that we can all benefit from, HRW's intake mod being a prime example. Keep us posted Squatch!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
mr.squatch
Focus Addict

it reads upto 158. It's reliable enough, that's why i want several ppl participating. we can get average numbers even if some are off by some percentage. So far my highest under hood temp with the a/c on and sitting still for 20 mins was 130s so other than the hottest days we should be ok. what i'm looking for specifically is temp while driving... at 30mph, at 65mph etc. From what i've seen so far, the underhood temp at the firewall is never more than 10-15 over the ambient air temp at speeds around 60mph. thanks for the support, hope to have a few more ppl sign on

g
Old 05-06-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
BlkZX3

Fan#: 473
What I Drive: El Huevo Negro

FF Reputation: 1 BlkZX3 Good Standing Member
I thought for sure underhood temps would exceed 150's...
Old 05-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
My intuition tells me it should be hotter too... but as Physics has taught me, my intuition is often Wrong. It should be real interesting to see the results of this test Mr Squatch, good idea. Oh and one question- how do you know what the temp in the engine bay is while going 65 for example? Do you go for a while then pull over quick and check? Just wondering, sounds like an interesting project.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #9
mr.squatch
Focus Addict

haha, no. There is a digital gauge in the cabin on the steering column, connected to a 10ft wire going to a sensor in the engine compartment. you can put it wherever u want in there, mine is currently up against the front of the fuse box. The focus aparently has a very good flow of air under there, and once the engine gets warm the fans kick on that move an amazing amount of air. so it would have to be pretty hot out to get over 150. I'm sure it can potentially, but that's ok, we'll just record 158+ and go from there. It's not really the temps we're after, its the variations in temps due to mods and placement.

Hey lil, where'd u get that pic of me in ur sig? :P

g
Old 05-06-2004, 04:13 PM   #10
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Lil PZEV, I am picturing his temperature device as your typical, run-of-the-mill, digital indoor-outdoor thermometer. They have a digital readout unit he can put in plain view in the passenger compartment, and a thermal sensor on the end of a long wire that he can run into the engine compartment.

Edit: oops, I see he beat me to the response by about two minutes!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.