Stock radio, but use subwoofer as well? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Technoholic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49997
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Technoholic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Stock radio, but use subwoofer as well?

I recently got my Focus.

ZX4. Is it ok to add a subwoofer (looking for 1000W) and use stock radio? Or it's really recommended to use aftermarket? Seriously though, is it OK to use stock radio? Because I do not want to swap out too many things for my Focus. I have a desire for a booming bass....... I don't think I might wanna swap out the radio too.

So is it possible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
remusrm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1250
What I Drive: 09 MS3

FF Reputation: 1 remusrm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
of course is possible... but will cost more in the long run since you will need LOCs and also i bet withing a month you will one a better HU... you might want to add bass, but your inside will sound crap... get a good hu, a good amp and a sub with bandpass box... do not spend much... all should be around 600 installed...

BUT NOW I GOT A MS3!!!
294hp/356tq he he:-)
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Technoholic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49997
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Technoholic Good Standing Member
Can someone make a me a bundle, a single 12" subwoofer with amp?

Explain LOCs and HU?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
remusrm
Focus Addict

LOC-line out converters
HU - head unit

BUT NOW I GOT A MS3!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2012 Nero Black, Fiat 500 Sport

FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
i would never use a line out converter when doing a sub.

my radio was stolen about a month ago, and i threw the stock 6-disk in for the time being, and i used a LOC for the subs, and man, let me tell you, it sounded likd complete shit.

it was so bad, that i could hear mids going through the sub....

if i were you, get a new radio, something with high voltage preouts.. and be happy with the new radio

as far as the sub goes, and the way i like audio, i would NEVER do a bandpass or ported box.

sealed will yield a fairly flat response, and is the most accurate type of box.
a sealed box also requires the most power to attain the same SPL as other box types.

a ported box is usually about +3dB more efficient at the frequency of the tuned port(s). These boxes require less power than sealed to reach the same SPL, but below their tuned frequency, they are very hard to control, and require great amounts of power to produce those below-port frequencies. Ported enclosures also add coloration to the sound, which detracts from their accuracy.

bandpass boxes are +3 to +12dB more efficient, making these the loudest of the boxes, but they lack severely in sound quality and will not hit very deeply since they, as the name implies, are limited to a notch frequency range.. usually between about 50-100Hz. loud, not deep, and they can accept a lot of power due to the damping factor of the enclosure designs. Bandpass boxes are ideal for SPL competitions, but not recommended for anything desiring musicality such as a daily driver car.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
PhilMayfield
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34404
What I Drive: 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT

FF Reputation: 4 PhilMayfield Good Standing Member
I ran an LOC with stock HU for about 6 months, and it worked great. Probably all depends on the quality of the unit itself.

http://www.autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm

Scroll down to NE-774V. This unit puts out 9.5v signal, which is waaaay better than most aftermarket head units.

And its not more expensive to go with an LOC... not sure the logic there.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2012 Nero Black, Fiat 500 Sport

FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
the line out converter i had on there/ still have sitting in my room was a good line out converter.

the only problem is, you have no control over the sub when you use the factory deck. on my pioneer(before it was stolen) it had the high and low pass filters, so i could adjust the amount of bass, what frequency, and how much of it i wanted going to the sub.

the line out i had also put out right around 9.7 volts, so it was decent... but it still sounded like shit compared to having it run off my pioneer deck...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
remusrm
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMayfield View Post
I ran an LOC with stock HU for about 6 months, and it worked great. Probably all depends on the quality of the unit itself.

http://www.autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm

Scroll down to NE-774V. This unit puts out 9.5v signal, which is waaaay better than most aftermarket head units.

And its not more expensive to go with an LOC... not sure the logic there.
because later on you will want to change the HU and have to pay for reinstall and you just loss money on the LOCs. I would go with a a cheap aftermarket HU like 100 bucks or less that already has 1 preout... If you pay attention the LOCs are around 30-50 bucks, plus install... Yes you can do it yourselft but most do not... Best Buy install is 70 bucks... also no control over the sub... no gain control unless you have that gain control... just odd... also most stores install the HU free if purchased from them... Circuit City, Best Buy and frys do it all the time... but i would recomend best buys... frys is scum... they have a tendancy to just cut all of it...

BUT NOW I GOT A MS3!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Adam05ZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 45600
What I Drive: 2005,Toreador Red, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Adam05ZX3 Good Standing Member
"it was so bad, that i could hear mids going through the sub...."

did you have the LPF (low pass filter) on? I know it sounds stupid but i've seen a lot of people do it
Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
sn95joe84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32056
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 sn95joe84 Good Standing Member
Is there any way to connect an amp to a stock headunit? My issue is, I'd like to install a sub and amp that I already have, but I have the in dash 6 disk changer and I'd rather not rip it out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks