Swapping Auto Trannies in an '01 Sedan - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Lickety-Split
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50159
What I Drive: 2001 Frigidaire White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Lickety-Split Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Swapping Auto Trannies in an '01 Sedan

I apologize ahead of time for my first post being a "help me" thread. I generally try to use more decorum while playing on the internet. But, I'm in a bind and my dealership is choosing not to give me a hand with some information.

The problem: Last winter, my car started shuddering when I'd start 'er up in cold weather and stick it in reverse. It was previously a warm weather California car that has not taken so well to the icy winters of the Midwest. I did what I could to chug it along for the remainder of of the winter season and essentially stopped driving it when spring hit (my warm weather commuter and fun machine only has two wheels).

The solution: Going to pick up another automatic tranny from one of the many salvage yards in the area and swap the transmission before the snow and ice hits. I've contacted my local Ford dealer, gave them my VIN and they've told me the following.

Tranny model number: 4F27E
Tranny ID number: 1S4P-CA

Apparently, when they were stamping together the '01 Focii, there were two transmission they used. ID #s 1S4P-CA and XS4P-CF. The salvage yard tells me the difference lies somewhere in the ECU. Apparently they can flash 'em one way or another.

This is where I'm hoping you guys can fill me in and give me an idea as to what the difference actually is. Different shifting points? Are they interchangeable?

I can get a better deal on the XS4P-CF transmission that I've found (FAR lower miles). Would like to have it, assuming the ID won't cause me any problems.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Memberb16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
The tranny's are the same. The only difference that i show is one for a DOHC and one for a SOHC.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Lickety-Split
Focus Rookie

Mind if I ask where you're looking it up at?

What I'm doing is looking the tranny up on http://car-part.com/
- Ford Focus
- Transmision
- Kansas City KS/MO (or put in your region, I'm sure it doesn't matter)
- Hit search

These are your options for the different kinds of transmissions (says they're both SOHC):
M.T., SOHC, Cpe.
A.T., SOHC, ID XS4P-CF
A.T., DOHC (Zetec), ID XS4P-DF
M.T., SOHC, Sdn and SW, ID XS4R-DA
M.T., SOHC, Sdn and SW, ID XS4R-DD
M.T., SOHC, Sdn and SW, ID XS4R-DE
M.T., DOHC
A.T., SOHC, ID 1S4P-CA
A.T., DOHC (Zetec), ID 1S4P-DA

I have a A.T., SOHC, ID 1S4P-CA and I'm curious about the difference between it an the A.T., SOHC, ID XS4P-CF.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
DURATECoftheDesert
Subcompact Fanatic

Fan#: 43017
What I Drive: 1997 Ford Aspire White

FF Reputation: 9 DURATECoftheDesert Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16sir1991 View Post
The tranny's are the same. The only difference that i show is one for a DOHC and one for a SOHC.
It's true.

But in regarding the car was a california vehicle, it should be a problem about extreme weather changes from warm weather to cold weather. I know it gets cold where ur at, but maybe it was a tranny breakdown waiting to happen.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Or fluid breakdown or contamination.

Get the best transmission regardless of the identifier. B16sir1991 is an FF affiliate and works in the parts dept for a Ford dealer in NC. You can see his forum in our list as Hilbish Ford.

Best of luck, I hope you don't have any more problems.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Lickety-Split
Focus Rookie

I guess at this point I'm just really curious about how you guys know that one is DOHC & the other is SOHC. Laird Noller Ford of Topeka, KS, a local salvage yard and car-part.com all agree that there are two different "ID"s for the automatic trannies. The dealership and the salvage yard both say the difference has something to do with the computer being flashed (e.g., it's a different program.. the housing and everything else are the same).

I agree, the transmission breaking down was only highlighted by the change in weather. In fact, it still runs well during the warm months. I just don't know that it'll make it through another winter. In the end, it has a lot of mean miles on it and it needs to be refreshed or swapped out.

Thank you for the well wishes WNTWN!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Lickety-Split
Focus Rookie

I guess I should rephrase myself.

I have a A.T., SOHC, 1S4P-CA. The salvage yard has a A.T., SOHC, XS4P-CF (1000 miles, $400) and a A.T., SOHC, 1S4P-CA (33,000 miles, $500). The one with the lower miles and lower cost is more appealing. I'm wanting to make sure that if I buy it, I can do a clean swap without having to mess with the software (same differential ratios, same shift points, same half-shaft spline, etc.).
Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
Lickety-Split
Focus Rookie

Can any one give me an idea on what the difference is between the IDs?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
The 4f27e perplexes even the best transmisson technicians, so good luck finiding more info on a forum lol

The only reason I would see the ECU being the cause is if the wiring inside the trans is different, so that the wire for solenoid 5 is switched with solenoid 3 or something really really bad like that.

I can tell you the swap is really straightforward, heres a link to my how to on a DOHC:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1728137

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey... we forgot to mention that you'll have to purchase a transmission for a SOHC specifically. The difference is not on the inside of the transmission- but the bellhousing. The SPI (SOHC) and Zetec (DOHC) have different bolt patterns and will not bolt to the other motor.

Sorry for the confusion. Do not get a DOHC transmission, I would also carefully inspect all the different electrical plugs going to the transmission as well as the shifter connections to be sure that there are no physical differences. There shouldn't be any, but familiarizing yourself can only aid you.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks